Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vietnam Airlines first A350 looks great in their new livery

• 10-03-2015 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭

I thought this A350 looked magnificent in Vietnam Airlines new livery.
    It's a great change from those boring Euro white paint jobs.

No mistaking the colours at any distance.

16544262910_a569638d4d_z.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

tippman1 wrote: »
    I thought this A350 looked magnificent in Vietnam Airline's new livery.
    It's great change from those boring Euro white paint jobs.

Gorgeous plane and livery.

Have not flown with them but they seem good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Very smart!

Reminds me of one my favorite liveries on a favourite type; Air Trader Vanguard

http://jn.passieux.free.fr/images/Vanguard_3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I think if Aer Lingus were to have a refresh of it's livery, the same idea for the curved cheat-line with, of course, green on top, the blue strip where AV has gold, and green tail with a slightly modified shamrock, and we'd have a very nice EI colour-scheme. Just dreaming of course, on a quiet night in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dont like that curve at all. I think front gold stripe works ok but the rear portion should continue to rise as it goes towards the back.
    As it is, I think it gives it a broken back appearance and confuses the eye against the flat top line of the airframe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

tippman1 wrote: »
    I thought this A350 looked magnificent in Air Vietnam's new livery.
    It's a great change from those boring Euro white paint jobs.

You still mistook the name though.
    Its Vietnam Airlines, not Air Vietnam. The clue is in the livery you posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anybody else notice the lack of engines, guessing they went for the cheaper purchase option of a glider

scudzilla wrote: »
    Anybody else notice the lack of engines, guessing they went for the cheaper purchase option of a glider

Now there's an idea; towed into action by a 777-Zwilling and released half way across the Pacific to glide to Los Angeles.

Have you patented this yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭Comhrá

You still mistook the name though.
    Its Vietnam Airlines, not Air Vietnam. The clue is in the livery you posted.

I've just corrected my original post to reflect this. It's the kind of mistake that drives me mad when someone else does it, so I have to swallow my pride in this case and fix it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭cppilot98

Flew them on an internal flight on a 777, Da Nang to Saigon. Very nice, the cabin crew were every bit as pleasant as everyone else we met in Vietnam. The flight crew were Australian but apparently there are a number of Irish pilots working for them. I definitely wouldn't have minded flying for them. I'd love to live in Vietnam for a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭FR85

Is it me or does the entire aircraft look like its sagging towards the rear?? Plastic airplanes, it'll never take off!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,923 ✭✭✭✭L1011

FR85 wrote: »
    Is it me or does the entire aircraft look like its sagging towards the rear?? Plastic airplanes, it'll never take off!!!

A350 is AlLi not composite bodied I believe

L1011 wrote: »
    A350 is AlLi not composite bodied I believe

From Wiki:
    The A350 is the first Airbus with both fuselage and wing structures made primarily of carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer.[11] ......feckin plastic!!!! :confused:

I think its welded AlLi on a carbon fibre frame for the fuselage but the official Airbus site has removed most of its pre-launch info and was designed in such a manner that the Web Archive doesn't work. Wikipedia may be right but it is linking a decade old article as its source.

I honestly thought it was a carbon fiber kind of war between Boeing and Airbus on these two......again could be well off!!

The fuselage and wings are built from CFRP panelling over an Al / Al-Li metal frame structure. Unlike the 787, this means that damaged panels can be replaced instead of having to re-cure damage on-site.

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getasset.aspx?itemid=15848

The tail is CFRP as has been Airbus standard for 40 years.

arubex wrote: »
    The fuselage and wings are built from CFRP panelling over an Al / Al-Li metal frame structure.

So I was backwards then. Oops!

Apparently the metal frame provides a conductive ground-plane for lighting or electrical short-circuits.

The 787 uses copper mesh embedded in the skin in the most likely lightning-strike zones, presumably connected directly to the discharge wicks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I honestly thought it was a carbon fiber kind of war between Boeing and Airbus on these two......again could be well off!!

It pretty much is. However the A350 is an evolution of what Airbus have been doing for years while the B787 is a revolution for Boeing. The B787 is more cutting edge tech but the well publicised problems show that its a difficult path to tread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yep it seems to be due to the gold linedropping towards the rear.
    I did a crude photoshop with the line altered and I think it looks better.

mickdw wrote: »
    Yep it seems to be due to the gold linedropping towards the rear.
    I did a crude photoshop with the line altered and I think it looks better.

If you look at the roof line from the exit door just at the rear of the wing the tail does droop down! I see what you are saying about the gold line but I hadn't even noticed that!! :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement