Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut or keep bulking?

Options
  • 10-03-2015 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

I am a 6', 81kg male who has been lifting/bulking for about 18 months now. I'm seeing steady gains and look ok.

I think I'd like to change my regime a bit and maybe do some cutting. My question is, are there any rules on when to cut? Is bulking for 18 months too long? I am not at the size I would like to be yet, but could do with maybe losing a bit of body fat so that my new physique is more visible.

Should I continue to bulk until I get to my desired size (my fear is I'll always want to be bigger), or give my body a break and cut?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Decide which you'd prefer out of wanting to bulk to get to your desired size or cutting to see some more definition...and do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you want to be bigger, you should keep bulking.
    If you want to be leaner, then you should cut

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

If you are generally happy with your physique I would stay going as you are if you are still making size / strength gains. At 81kg and 6' you must be reasonably lean.

You could also cut for 6-8 weeks if you feel like a change of scenery and then go back to a surplus again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Since January, I have noticed that my stomach has gotten a lot bigger. I am assuming this is to do with the extra calories I am consuming. 2 things that I have increased in my diet are full fat milk (for making porridge and for drinking with dinner) and pasta. Other than that I think I am clean-bulking..

Would those two cause the increase in my belly fat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Yes.

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Yes.

Dang. I thought full fat milk was best for bulking.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Since January, I have noticed that my stomach has gotten a lot bigger. I am assuming this is to do with the extra calories I am consuming. 2 things that I have increased in my diet are full fat milk (for making porridge and for drinking with dinner) and pasta. Other than that I think I am clean-bulking..

Not necessarily, being in a calorie surplus is making you fatter not whole milk and pasta. you can "clean up your diet" further but as long as you are in a surplus you will gain mass (fat and muscle)

Its possible that you surplus is too aggressive.

conzy wrote: »
    Not necessarily, being in a calorie surplus is making you fatter not whole milk and pasta. you can "clean up your diet" further but as long as you are in a surplus you will gain mass (fat and muscle)

Its possible that you surplus is too aggressive.

I calculated my calories should be around 3000. I'm pretty sure I don't hit 3000 very often. So maybe my workouts aren't intense enough. I lift for 50 minutes, 4 times per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

What program are you doing?

My original answer was a bit vague. I meant anything that puts you in a surplus will make you gain weight. Those specific foods aren't making you gain fat but you;re surplus is. Keep in mind it's going to be very difficult to gain muscle with no fat gain. That being said you can minimise the fat gain by having a small surplus. But this could also hinder gains so it's a bit of a balance game.

Advertisement