Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A way to automatically follow a thread I create?

Options
  • 10-03-2015 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi Feedback Forum!

Could you let me know if it exists already, don't think it does so I thought I'd post here.

When I recently created this new account a noticed every thread I would post in would automatically follow, which was a bit annoying. I got pointed in the right direction over in the 'Help Desk' forum of how to disable automatic notifications. Grand, sorted.

However I noticed that if I create a new thread then I would actually like to automatically follow that. I went back to the options as I thought that would be an option. If the option to automatically follow a new thread created my myself is there...I'm not seeing it, so could you let me know where it is please?

If it doesn't exist, could you take on board this feedback or suggestion to think about such a feature?

Thanks
    SM
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Um, unless you're creating a ton of threads is it too much trouble to just hit the Follow Thread button above when you create them? I get the automatic feature for every post because that'd be annoying.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You can set it up so that you're automatically subscribed to any thread you post or reply to here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions

The screenshot shows "Default Thread Subscription Mode" and the drop-down gives you options.

341606.png

A similar option is available when you go post a reply if you hit "post reply" instead of using the quick reply box. Again, it is available as an option when starting a new thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

nesf wrote: »
    Um, unless you're creating a ton of threads is it too much trouble to just hit the Follow Thread button above when you create them? I get the automatic feature for every post because that'd be annoying.

Exactly, most likely won't be creating a ton of threads, but the ones i do create i'd like to follow. i know i can press the button to follow, but it's not something i always remember to do and also the data connection on phone is pretty bad so every button press is pretty slow.

i replied to your post before properly reading the other posters post. Not able to edit posts after posting yet so it might be answered in next post.

mentioned the word 'post' a bit too often in the previous sentences but i guess this is what the thread is about.

You can set it up so that you're automatically subscribed to any thread you post or reply to here:

The screenshot shows "Default Thread Subscription Mode" and the drop-down gives you options.

A similar option is available when you go post a reply if you hit "post reply" instead of using the quick reply box. Again, it is available as an option when starting a new thread.

Thanks hullaballoo,

Yep i checked out the default options previously. If there was a separate default option to follow new threads created by users. I know of the pop up that appears although i thought that's for email notifications and doesn't have option to follow - i could be wrong about that.

on the phone i don't notice any options appear. when create a thread it just posts. obviously nobody (or not many) would like to automatically follow every thread they post in but may want to automatically follow every new thread they create.

would it be possible to create a new test thread that you could delete, if do it here from the phone to see? no worries if not

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

SoftMicro wrote: »
    would it be possible to create a new test thread that you could delete, if do it here from the phone to see? no worries if not
    Not sure what you're asking here. If you're asking if you can create a test thread, maybe post it in Helpdesk.

Are you using the touch site (touch.boards.ie)? Honestly, as soon as your new thread is posted you just have to hit "follow" on top of your post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

But it could be automated and the functionality exists, but there's no split between replying and starting a new thread in that functionality.

Spear wrote: »
    But it could be automated and the functionality exists, but there's no split between replying and starting a new thread in that functionality.

That's it exactly Spear. Both are combined rather than possibly add an extra option to auto follow thread created by user. Maybe it hasn't been mentioned before or just not see a need for that function. I thought I'd offer my own feedback and suggestion as it's something i would use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

The setting you want, is as Hullaballo has posted, the Default Thread Subscription Mode, but it follow not only threads you start, but threads you post in too. If you set it to "No email notification" then you will simply follow without receiving email updates and your threads will be seen on this page.

Thanks Dav, yep that's why i started this thread to see if there was an option to follow only threads i create by default rather than an all or nothing. If it didn't exist then to suggest adding to the options to select from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

It's a good suggestion. As a work-around, I'd say you might want to consider making this link a bookmark. It's a Search based on Threads Started by you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement