Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best advice youve had

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

not yet wrote: »
    Time on your hands...?

No need to wrap your gland... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Don't make big decisions in the heat of the moment.

I was going through the break up from hell a few years ago and wanted to get a visa and go to Canada. I was literally on the point of applying when my cousin suggested I wasn't in the right mindset to make such a commitment.

She then suggested I cut my hair instead and leave off making the decision to move for a little while. She was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

In any situation that arised, just relax, take a bit of time and take a look at it with a clear head. Nothing good comes from panicking and rushing.

also:

Better to have a few close friends you can always count on than be mr.popular and have nobody there for you when things get tough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Don't make big decisions in the heat of the moment.

I was going through the break up from hell a few years ago and wanted to get a visa and go to Canada. I was literally on the point of applying when my cousin suggested I wasn't in the right mindset to make such a commitment.

She then suggested I cut my hair instead and leave off making the decision to move for a little while. She was right.

But you went to Canada anyways???? so she was wrong? And why cut your hair? how does that fit into the conversation???

You :"should I go to Canada or not"
    Her: "Nah cut your hair instead...same thing really"

Best advice I ever got was

• Don't Panic! Stay calm and you can get through anything.
    • If you keep plugging away at it, you'll get there in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

daheff wrote: »
    But you went to Canada anyways???? so she was wrong? And why cut your hair? how does that fit into the conversation???

You :"should I go to Canada or not"
    Her: "Nah cut your hair instead...same thing really"

I went after taking time to research, save up and decide if it was truly what I wanted to do or if it was a knee jerk reaction.

The haircut was a joke about girls always getting a make over after a nasty break up ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Always get a receipt: proof of purchase for any shoplifting accusations, keep track of how much money you spend, they can't put your cash into their pocket, can get today's date off it, can get the current time off it, can remember what pub your were in last night from it, when you leave someone thing behind you can get the phone number off it and ring them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

omerin wrote: »
    ...work whatever hours it takes to get the job done...

My Dad always said 'Work to live - don't live to work.'

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Worse things happen at sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

This is just thread of stupid old sayings mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

there will always be one

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheOtherBloke

Boskowski wrote: »
    This is just thread of stupid old sayings mostly.

Stupid old saying? How are they stupid.. a lot of them make sense and are entirely true

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Buy Eircom stock.

I went after taking time to research, save up and decide if it was truly what I wanted to do or if it was a knee jerk reaction.

The haircut was a joke about girls always getting a make over after a nasty break up ;)

Well I hope it worked out for you in the end...oh and I hope Canada's working out too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

When travelling somewhere, never travel with a dickhead. You're sure to find one when you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

The world doesn't owe you any favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Stupid old saying? How are they stupid.. a lot of them make sense and are entirely true

It's the same as with the best joke ever heard thread.
    The first two posters have actually something genuine. The rest just grabs any old sh1te from Google or some stupid one liner they heard at some time.

Are you seriously saying what people post here is the best advice they ever had?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheOtherBloke

Boskowski wrote: »
    It's the same as with the best joke ever heard thread.
    The first two posters have actually something genuine. The rest just grabs any old sh1te from Google or some stupid one liner they heard at some time.

Are you seriously saying what people post here is the best advice they ever had?

There are a few genuine answers. Of course there are gonna be whitty/stupid ones too.. That is the risk of posting on After Hours. I didnt say all the answers are genuine. But some are.. There are a few genuine ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

-Always assume a long argument will have the same result as a short one
    -If you want to be happy don't add to what you have, instead remove from your desires

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Don't complain

About anything

Not even to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

"You are responsible for your own happiness" is my favourite.

One I also like is
    "If you run into an ass hole in the morning; they are an ass hole. If you run into aas holes all day; then you're the asshole"

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭SJ.

My Dad told me this in the context of refereeing football (which we both do) but it's really the best life advice I ever got:

"Never make a second mistake to make up for a first."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭Dep!

There is no hitch on a herse.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Dep! wrote: »
    :confused:

You can't take it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

You can't take it with you.

What..? the ban hammer...............!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Never pick up soap in the showers..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Never give credit...if they have the neck to ask, they have the neck not to repay it.

Expect nothing from an ass only a kick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Stand up and be counted.

Advertisement