Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best advice youve had

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Question everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

mikom wrote: »
    Question everything.

why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I remember I was in bit of a pickle in school with my English teacher. He tried to reassure me in the end and said "today is the first day of the rest of your life"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Every morning, write down 3 things you're grateful for and watch your life change.

Can it be the same three things each morning?
    What time in the morning?
    Should i have a note pad by the bed, or will after breakfast do?
    Do i keep them secret, or can my wife help?
    What if i think of more than three? Can i save the extras till tomorrow?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

galljga1 wrote: »
    Don't drink the lemonade.
    Similar to old Eskimo saying " Dont melt yellow snow to make tea"

• Advertisement

today is the first day of the rest of your life

So is tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Best advice I ever got was "If you get a reputation for getting up early you can stay in bed until dinner time"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Soups123

Don't be afraid to ask a stupid question. If you do ask you may look stupid if you don't ask you remain stupid

Like my neighbour says each August bank holiday,
    'you might as well say it's xmas'.
    :eek: It drives me nuts and I'm always waiting for it.
    My mam txts me every may May 1st, 'days start getting shorter next month'

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Any more than three shakes is a w*nk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Soups123 wrote: »
    Don't be afraid to ask a stupid question. If you do ask you may look stupid if you don't ask you remain stupid

Conversely, it is better to be thought of as a fool, than to open your mouth & remove all doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I remember I was in bit of a pickle in school with my English teacher. He tried to reassure me in the end and said "today is the first day of the rest of your life"

That doesn't seem to hold true for the day of your death.

Had you died later that day, it would have been the last day of your life. Not the first day of the rest of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

UCDVet wrote: »
    That doesn't seem to hold true for the day of your death.

Had you died later that day, it would have been the last day of your life. Not the first day of the rest of your life.

Not true - it would have been both the first day of the rest of your life and the last day. They're not mutually exclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

thelad95 wrote: »
    There's always a lot of talk about how young people should spend their summers working and looking to advance their CV but I don't agree with that. When you're young, you are at a stage in your life when you have the chance to create moment and memories that you won't be able to later on in life. Why spend all that time entering the 'rat race' uo the career ladder. There will still be plenty of opportunities to advance your career, of course you'll have to work with bit harder but if you want it badly enough, you'll still get your dream job.

I think a lot of people who have success in their careers later regret not having more fun or spending more time with the ones they love. Money and careers are a necessary evil. They are important but they shouldn't dictate your life.

I had a friend in uni that partied all the time. He had an amazing time before failing out of his studies. Years later, he'll still shake his head and say it was the biggest mistake of his life.

I had another friend at uni that didn't party much at all. He got good grades, learned a lot, landed a great job, 15 years at the same company he's been promoted a few times, has his own assistant, he's got it made. Years later, he still says he wish he would have cut loose and partied more when he was young.

UCDVet wrote: »
    I had a friend in uni that partied all the time. He had an amazing time before failing out of his studies. Years later, he'll still shake his head and say it was the biggest mistake of his life.

I had another friend at uni that didn't party much at all. He got good grades, learned a lot, landed a great job, 15 years at the same company he's been promoted a few times, has his own assistant, he's got it made. Years later, he still says he wish he would have cut loose and partied more when he was young.

Grass is always greener

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Learn to let things go.

It's phenomenally difficult but vitally important. I can't think of anything in life that's worth holding onto and becoming embittered by for the rest of your life. And yet so many people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Schrodingers

Dont know if it has been mentioned already but

Never stick your finger where you wouldn't stick you mickey

Its a golden rule both in work where tools/machines can take my finger off in the blink of an eye an personal life for other reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

If they are not a blessing they are a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Don't buy cheap paint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

It's not about the work you do its about the team you work with.

Given to me by an old boss while I was thinking of giving up on my current career. I took his advice to heart, left that job and found the same job but in a team and company that I suited much better and haven't looked back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From the writer Chesterton : your thumb on the blade, and strike upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

To quote a neighbour after both he, myself and some others have fallen foul of another neighbouring couple over pathetic issues.
    "There's no point in trying to reason with madness. Youll never win"
    Any attempt at resolution usually ends up with them making it all about them and how they are being treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I suppose one little nugget "no-one's an atheist in the foxhole" is always worth remembering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I suppose one little nugget "no-one's an atheist in the foxhole" is always worth remembering.

It's funny, I was just talking to a terminally ill friend about this phrase. He said being diagnosed made him want to live life fully to his last breath because "this is the only show in town"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

You can put a cat in the oven, but that don't make it a biscuit.

ToddyDoody wrote: »

So wrong.

http://militaryatheists.org/atheists-in-foxholes/

There are plenty of atheists in foxholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Stigura

For the one who was saying we're all just googling for stuff here :rolleyes:

Over forty years ago now, I was working alongside an older guy called Clem. I did something, struggling, and Clem staid my hand. He suggested I try this other, as it turned out, much better way.

He then gave me a simple bit of advice that, I swear, I still think to thank Clem's memory for, probably most weeks, to this day.

He said " Stigura; " (Yes, alright. He didn't say that. Because we weren't on an internet fcucking forum) He said:

" As ye go through life, ye'll come to find there's always a hard way, and an easy way of doing anything. "

" Always look for the easy way. "

Clem. Jedi Master of 1973. Thanks, mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I remember hearing once .

The most important thing a man can give to his kids is to love their mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The best piece of advice I have ever been given is to not worry about people are thinking of you because, in all reality, people are not thinking of you at all.

Sage advice but hard to follow at times I must admit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Candie wrote: »
    So wrong.

http://militaryatheists.org/atheists-in-foxholes/

There are plenty of atheists in foxholes.

Bastards, that's why I can't find decent accomodation these days.

Advertisement