Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on Lenovo Y50 or equivalent?

• 10-03-2015 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

With my trusty old Dell Inspiron dying and me finally having a bit of cash in my pocket, I wouldn't mind forking out a bit extra for a decent gaming laptop. I'm sure people in this forum are sick of these types of threads but I'd appreciate the advice.

Budget: ~€1,000

Intended Use: Gaming, I'm not looking to be able to play Far Cry 4 on Ultra or anything. I'd be happy picking up games that are a year or two old on the cheap and playing on Med-High settings at a decent frame rate.

Mobility: ~2.5kgs/5.7lbs. Yoke will be on my bed mostly but I'll have to take it out and about the odd time for work. Prob limits me to a 15.6 inch screen.

Having looked around the last few days, I keep getting drawn back to the Lenovo Y50. The FHD version is available on amazon.de for €999 but the screen for that has some dodgy reviews. Reviews say the 'viewing angles' are awful? Forgive my ignorance but what does that mean? Are you not always going to be facing your laptop straight on?

The UHD screen seems to rectify this issue but that's a little outside my budget at the moment. Does anyone know how long it might take for the UHD version to drop to around €1,000 or does anyone have any alternate laptop suggestions?

Again, any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

FHD screens on laptops usually mean they are TN panels, which have pretty dreadful viewing angles if you move your head about, and pretty lousy colour reproduction & brightness too.
    The only upside is they don't tend to "ghost" the image like IPS panels can.

I'm still in 2 minds on whether to send my own Alienware 13 in for replacement, as its TN panel is "manageable" but by no means "great".

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm still in 2 minds on whether to send my own Alienware 13 in for replacement, as its TN panel is "manageable" but by no means "great".

Is it that you want to send it back under warranty because it's defective or are you looking to effectively upgrade the screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

B_Sharp wrote: »
    Is it that you want to send it back under warranty because it's defective or are you looking to effectively upgrade the screen?
    The latter; I forgot to click the IPS panel option.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

Looks like the the new Y50s, UHD ones anyway, are shipped with IPS displays which seems to fix its major flaw. Unfortunately the UHD version with 512GB SSD which I was eyeing up on their site is out of stock. There was €200 off as well...I'm super bummed :(

Advertisement