Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think im after seeing my cat dead on the road

• 11-03-2015 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

This is freaking me out. This morning before leaving for work, I let the cat out, had my breakfast and went on my merry way.

As I left the estate I noticed a dead animal on one of the main roads very similar to my cat. I couldnt turn back as the road was busy.

The cat is chipped, but has no collar. Do they be checked for the chip when they are removed, does anyone know?

Heres hoping he will be there to welcome me when I am home from work. That said if its not my pet its someone elses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I'd advise you get in contact with someone to check for ya. Dont know anything about chips unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

The council will just remove it into the back of a truck if they get the complaint. They don't have facilities for checking microchips on dogs or cats. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

Would you be in a position to nip home at lunch and check?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Would you be in a position to nip home at lunch and check?

No but I sent a text to someone who can. I could have stopped to check but I think I was afraid of what I would see.

The road is a fair distance from the house but in the same sense he easily could have got that far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Busy road or not I would have stopped to check or turned around as soon as it was safe to do so. Another reason to keep cats in if you live near a busy road.

Hopefully when you get home your cat will be waiting for you looking for dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

I'd go home and check now. There's no way I would have drove past if I was in doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

Sadly, there's a good chance the poor animal will be left there long enough for you to check on the way home if your friend can't do it :(
    I think I would have pulled over to check. I'd be panicking all day not knowing. I hope he's alive and well OP.

mada82 wrote: »
    I'd go home and check now. There's no way I would have drove past if I was in doubt

I cant unfortunately. I am 1 hour and a half away. The cat is an outdoors cat for the last 3 years so keeping him in for me is cruelty.

I feel guilty for not stopping and I know I should have but I just chickened out. At the time the thoughts of seeing him dead was too much.

I posted this here to vent as much as anything else as I should feel guilty. I didnt need to let him out this morning. I could have stopped to check. I feel utterly ****ty about myself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

There's no right or wrong here. I was just giving my opinion.

Hopefully it's not your cat

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

Try not to be too hard on yourself! If he's normally outside then you did nothing unusual or wrong this morning in letting him out. It can be very tough for a pet owner to see animals on the road like that so I wouldn't blame you for not stopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

It is not cruelty to keep a cat in if you live beside a busy road. Sooner or later they will be hit by a car.

Is there anyone like a neighbour etc you could contact to ask to check?

Great news. Got word that the cat is back home snoozing on the bed.
    Thanks for your support here.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

What a relief it must be! I also have outdoor cats and despite living in a quiet rural area I've had a lot of experience of cats being killed on the road. It's awful but to be honest, finding them dead on the road is at least closure, I've found that it's much worse when they just don't come home and I'm imagining all sorts and never find out what happened or where they went.

Advertisement