Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Issue HELP!

• 11-03-2015 9:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

I have a Kindle Fire, love it, great device. When I first bought it, it had a really good dictionary. In OFFLINE mode (Wifi turned off) all I needed to do was highlight a word for 2 seconds and up would pop a definition of the word with some examples. Great feature for words that I am unsure of.

However, there have been a number of Kindle updates released recently and I noticed that in OFFLINE mode (Wifi turned off) when I highlight a word now, nothing happens. It is as if the dictionary is gone.

I tried to turn the wifi on and go ONLINE, when I highlight a word up pops wikipedia with a definition. 1) I don't want to use wikipedia and 2) it only has a handful of definitions.

Where is the old dictionary gone, can I not turn it back on? It is very very frustrating.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

UPDATE: Anyone else with this issue, I contacted Amazon. It is a known issue, quite a number of people contacting them to fix it.

You simply have to email amazon from your account and they resend the dictionary to your Kindle within 5-10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Amazon support is superb... glad you got it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Slideways

Sorry to hijack your thread but can anyone shed some light on my issue.

My paperwhite updated recently and I've lost the estimated reading time from the bottom of the screen. I think the page x/xx is missing too?

Anyone know how to turn this back on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Slideways wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack your thread but can anyone shed some light on my issue.

My paperwhite updated recently and I've lost the estimated reading time from the bottom of the screen. I think the page x/xx is missing too?

Anyone know how to turn this back on?

Tap the area on the screen where it normally appears (bottom left corner), it should cycle through time left in chapter, page number, location etc.

Advertisement