Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

city square

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

How many units remaining in the food court now then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

It would have been exciting if it was the first one to open in Waterford, but there's one about a minutes walk away from City Square.

However, the one in Red Square is narrow, not wheelchair or buggy friendly, so I guess the one in City Square will help some, along with the hoards of teens that will hover around it on a weekend getting the free wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Any know if cex is still open was in there about a month ago n a lot of empty selves not a great amount of stock etc either

Any know if cex is still open was in there about a month ago n a lot of empty selves not a great amount of stock etc either

Yes, it's still open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Deiseen wrote: »
    How many units remaining in the food court now then?
    One available and one under final negotiations

"Store that does most business in week before Christmas has some empty shelves after Christmas"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

It looks like Starbucks will be going into the "closed off" area of the food court seeing as all the windows there were covered this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

That's cex for you it's a pawn shop after all.

All depends on what people are trading in and after xmess shops like would have very little stock in them

Looks like O'Briens and Abrakebabra are going into the Food Hall. Saw posters in the Food Hall saying they were looking for staff.

Also with Starbucks open there is a shorter way to the toilets from the stairs as you can cut through Starbucks

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Is there any word on what shops will be going in to the new units? Seems like they are ready with a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Is there any word on what shops will be going in to the new units? Seems like they are ready with a while.

I heard Dunnes and TK Maxx

• Advertisement

dzilla wrote: »

Much better place for TK Maxx all the same. Wonder who will take the old dunnes place then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Cafe Nero is opening soon in town I think... they're looking for assistant managers atm for Waterford City.

Don't we have enough bloody chain coffee shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Much better place for TK Maxx all the same. Wonder who will take the old dunnes place then?

It's not TK Maxx itself, but Homesense. - Part of the TK Maxx family
    http://www.homesense.ie/

CeilingFly wrote: »

Anyone have any confirmation on any of this?

CeilingFly wrote: »

ah makes sense.

Cafe Nero is opening soon in town I think... they're looking for assistant managers atm for Waterford City.

Don't we have enough bloody chain coffee shops

Apparently not, given the amount of places that sell coffee around John Roberts Square

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

The last I heard is that Dunnes homeware are moving into one of the new units so Dunnes as it stands would remain, no need to fill the old premises.

That's a bit of a let down. No new stores to Waterford. I was in that homesense in cork and it's just the equivalent of the homeware section of TK max and if Dunnes open a homeware store in there too it's pretty much just extensions of existing stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

That's a bit of a let down. No new stores to Waterford. I was in that homesense in cork and it's just the equivalent of the homeware section of TK max and if Dunnes open a homeware store in there too it's pretty much just extensions of existing stores.

Agreed but it could be that a lot of the fashion outlets are waiting to see what happens with Michael St and the North Quays.

914 wrote: »
    Agreed but it could be that a lot of the fashion outlets are waiting to see what happens with Michael St and the North Quays.
    Or it could be that fashion retail is dying and coffee shops and homeware is more profitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Or it could be that fashion retail is dying and coffee shops and homeware is more profitable.

Does any of those potential tenants rumors have any solid basis or any insight..id say no, same rumor of either dunnes or tk or homesense went around thread couple months back....let's face it, nobody in hear seems to know, this thread found out about starbucks when it appeared in local paper, no one here knew about obriens and other place till a recruitment poster went up. I'd say, we'll find out for near certain who's taking it up when it appears in paper, wlr or on city square Facebook. For now, put the dunnes,tk,homesense rumours in the same April fool's category as John oShea or Daryl Murphy playing for the blues.

Max Powers wrote: »
    ..... as John oShea or Daryl Murphy playing for the blues.

They wouldn't get a game boi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I have heard from Dunnes employees that they don't know for sure. However, Dunnes will apparently be losing a part of the current store (they own most of it, but part of the upstairs section is rented from City Square, who are taking it back), so it is feasible they would move that section to the new build.

Looks like the cake stand is gone

JohnC. wrote: »
    I have heard from Dunnes employees that they don't know for sure. However, Dunnes will apparently be losing a part of the current store (they own most of it, but part of the upstairs section is rented from City Square, who are taking it back), so it is feasible they would move that section to the new build.

Is Dunnes that popular in Waterford or rich, that it can afford 3 units within 100 steps of each other. The women's unit needs a massive overhaul. Feels like I go back to the 90s when I step in there.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Is Dunnes that popular in Waterford or rich, that it can afford 3 units within 100 steps of each other. The women's unit needs a massive overhaul. Feels like I go back to the 90s when I step in there.

It does seem a bit much, I would prefer new stores not just extensions of existing stores. I still remember going to Dunnes to buy toys in that store.

iseegirls wrote: »

That's not unusual for Dunnes. 2 big stores in Kilkenny. The same in Clonmel. It's just disappointing that after all the development in city square Waterford will have gained nothing new bar Chopped.

That's not unusual for Dunnes. 2 big stores in Kilkenny. The same in Clonmel. It's just disappointing that after all the development in city square Waterford will have gained nothing new bar Chopped.

But in those cases, the Dunnes are quite a distance from each other, here they are as mentioned nearly 100 metres apart, which is ridiculous if they decide to have a third store in the same area.

It looks like they don't care about variety just however can pay the rents

But in those cases, the Dunnes are quite a distance from each other, here they are as mentioned nearly 100 metres apart, which is ridiculous if they decide to have a third store in the same area.

It looks like they don't care about variety just however can pay the rents

Yes but I would imagine the issue for Dunnnes is they can't get a store big enough in the city centre to accommodate everything into one unit so they are forced to spread over a number of units. The unit they have in Kilkenny is pretty big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Do CQ own the old alfie hale shop and if so why didn't they knock it down and re-build it.

That whole street looks more like a no mans land and they appear to be taking forever to complete the road works.

Advertisement