Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

city square

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Another factor that can stop people supporting local employment is the staff in shops. Its all well and good saying shop local and put money back into the economy but if staff in shops leave a bad impression and are rude you wouldn't return there again. Certainly I wouldn't step foot in Gregorys again, the guy there has an awful manner to him, and same for Bagel Factory too. Its a two way street, if you want people to keep supporting you, provide a friendly quality service.

Are you talking about Greg himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Another factor that can stop people supporting local employment is the staff in shops. Its all well and good saying shop local and put money back into the economy but if staff in shops leave a bad impression and are rude you wouldn't return there again. Certainly I wouldn't step foot in Gregorys again, the guy there has an awful manner to him, and same for Bagel Factory too. Its a two way street, if you want people to keep supporting you, provide a friendly quality service.

Personally I never had a problem with any of the staff in the Bagel Factory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Max Powers wrote: »
    If you take that hard line, fine i suppose, you must be fine with lack of jobs, lack of retail in city centres also. Doesn't chime well with you complaining about lack of work around some time back (hope you have had some luck or good leads there) different industry obviously but still, we are all connected, maybe a son or daughter would like some seasonal Christmas work etc. Describing supporting your city centre as charity, can't be done every time yeah but supporting city centre is charity / sense for ourselves.
    These businesses - clue is in the name are eminently capitalist organisations that exist solely to make a profit. If they cannot do so they will need to adapt to the market and or offer something extra or different. Being local alone is never a good enough reason to hand your money over to a business. Earn it like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Personally I never had a problem with any of the staff in the Bagel Factory

My point being that if you have a bad experience with someone in a shop, you are much less likely to put money into that shop, no matter how much you want to support local.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Are people really suggesting taking an anti-capitalistic stance and supporting often poor value high street retail over a more competitive online option? That's frankly ridiculous. They know the game they're in. Are the epitome of capitalism themselves and would more often than not (and do so on an alarming basis) cut the parse out of wages to increase their bottom line. Compete/adapt or die. You don't get to be capitalist when it suits/cast some weird appeal to charity/loyalty when it suits.

our economic issues are far more complicated than just capitalism v's whatever, capitalism has been an incredible creation, but it has its problems of which i do think we re gonna have to stand up and deal with in the very near future, as our current approaches are slowly failing us all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Hedone

No money left to 'shop and support the businesses', over half the wages go on ever increasing rent, electricity, gas petrol etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Hedone wrote: »
    No money left to 'shop and support the businesses', over half the wages go on ever increasing rent, electricity, gas petrol etc

What about the other half??

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Are people really suggesting taking an anti-capitalistic stance and supporting often poor value high street retail over a more competitive online option? That's frankly ridiculous. They know the game they're in. Are the epitome of capitalism themselves and would more often than not (and do so on an alarming basis) cut the parse out of wages to increase their bottom line. Compete/adapt or die. You don't get to be capitalist when it suits/cast some weird appeal to charity/loyalty when it suits.

our economic issues are far more complicated than just capitalism v's whatever, capitalism has been an incredible creation, but it has its problems of which i do think we re gonna have to stand up and deal with in the very near future, as our current approaches are slowly failing us all
    Its not all that complex though. I will shop locally when the local store has what I want at a reasonable price. There is even a small premium on "cost of convenience" ie. being able to exit with the product in hand rather than wait for a delivery. This too has a limit however, and if local store offers to "order it in", forget about, you're no longer providing a service I cant get elsewhere and for cheaper too.

If not price, compete on convenience, if not convenience exceptional service, or find a niche, if you cant do any of these you probably shouldnt be in business. Free market is freedom to compete without undue obstruction or regulation not entitlement to profit/success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

certainly I wouldn't step foot in Gregorys again, the guy there has an awful manner to him.

Strongly disagree with this, have only ever had good experiences in Gregory's, if there was an issue in there i don't think it would be Greg's who would be the problem.

Its not all that complex though. I will shop locally when the local store has what I want at a reasonable price. There is even a small premium on "cost of convenience" ie. being able to exit with the product in hand rather than wait for a delivery. This too has a limit however, and if local store offers to "order it in", forget about, you're no longer providing a service I cant get elsewhere and for cheaper too.

If not price, compete on convenience, if not convenience exceptional service, or find a niche, if you cant do any of these you probably shouldnt be in business. Free market is freedom to compete without undue obstruction or regulation not entitlement to profit/success.

The free market actually isn't all that free, as it truly only benefits large monopoly's, conglomerates and corporations, while hammering the ****e outta smaller enterprises, which is leading to a rapid rise in inequality and increasing worker insecurity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

amazon warehouses sound like a fantastic place to work, and with the potential automation of transport systems, and from the trickle down of the wealth created from such processes, our future looks good!;)

Came across this a few weeks ago.......

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/amazon-scours-high-street-to-open-shops-rrzpztbl2

One would have to ask why a giant of online retail like amazon feels the need to have a physical presence on ‘high street’....?

Road-Hog wrote: »
    amazon warehouses sound like a fantastic place to work, and with the potential automation of transport systems, and from the trickle down of the wealth created from such processes, our future looks good!;)

Came across this a few weeks ago.......

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/amazon-scours-high-street-to-open-shops-rrzpztbl2

One would have to ask why a giant of online retail like amazon feels the need to have a physical presence on ‘high street’....?

Monopolies markets maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There's a sign up for something named Cherry Bomb opening soon in the former cake shop. Anyone know what they are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

JohnC. wrote: »
    There's a sign up for something named Cherry Bomb opening soon in the former cake shop. Anyone know what they are?

I was going to say they make car exhausts but i doubt thats it ;)

According to their facebook its a cosmetics shop

https://www.facebook.com/CherryBombWexford/photos/a.372211549884929/577161339389948/?type=3&theater

JohnC. wrote: »

I was going to say they make car exhausts but i doubt thats it ;)

According to their facebook its a cosmetics shop

https://www.facebook.com/CherryBombWexford/photos/a.372211549884929/577161339389948/?type=3&theater
    From cake to stuff in your face to stuff to cake your face in.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Cherry Bomb is now open and another member of the food court, the Balcony Cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 5 corknewyork

Marks & Spencer's are supposed to be setting up in Waterford, maybe they'll open in here? Is there anything free big enough for them?

Not unless Debenhams finally go bust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Marks & Spencer's are supposed to be setting up in Waterford, maybe they'll open in here? Is there anything free big enough for them?

Would the empty unit at the front of city square be too small for them?

Cherry Bomb is now open and another member of the food court, the Balcony Cafe

Just saw that Balcony Cafe today too. Looks like it's connected to Chopped? Saw a recruitment ad on Facebook with Chopped contact details. It didn't seem to have its own counter, so are they actually serving their stuff from Chopped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I just walked through today and saw the Balcony cafe but also couldn’t make out if they had their own counter or what. And their menu is on a tv screen and was rotated sideways so you couldn’t read it-you’d think staff would notice something basic like that.

Also I passed Cherry Bomb at 10am (on a Saturday morning) and it still had the shutters down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭914

sillysocks wrote: »

Also I passed Cherry Bomb at 10am (on a Saturday morning) and it still had the shutters down!

Passed cherry bomb at 16:00 roughly and it was mobbed.

Never knew throwing things in a bath could be so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

I really wish people would not post hearsay as evidence of something.

its not hearsay

let's see if the drawings match what is actually built and time frame

I wonder if theres an election on horizon in 2019:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

From the Twitter account of Dr Jennifer Kavanagh of WIT:
    Waterford rumour mill update. Marks and Spencer are finally coming. They’re going into Debenhams and Debenhams are taking the new unit at the front of City Square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Steak and Kidney pie alert!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Its logical, Debenhams rent will be way to high there and M&S will secure good terms there. On the other hand Dunnes wil be less than impressed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

St Michael v St Bernard!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Any idea what the size of the new unit in the front is, compared to the two floors that Debenhams currently occupy?

I hope they wouldn't downsize too much - a tiny Debenhams with F-all variety of stock would not be a price worth paying for M&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

fricatus wrote: »
    Any idea what the size of the new unit in the front is, compared to the two floors that Debenhams currently occupy?

I hope they wouldn't downsize too much - a tiny Debenhams with F-all variety of stock would not be a price worth paying for M&S.

Agree about tiny debenhams, I do fair bit of shopping there, suppose if they stripped out likes of kitchen stuff, toy section, baggage etc and Concentrated on men's clothes and obviously women's and make up stuff, might not be too different.
    Anyway, id treat this rumor with a hefty chunk of salt, so much on here exactly as it says..rumor mill....if it appears in local media then yeah probably happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Also agree, have been in some of the smaller Debenhams and they’re useless compared with what we have now. Would be an m&s fan too but Debenhams probably has a better variety. In saying that at least it’s a Decent size for M&S and not a tiny one like in Clonmel. Time will tell!

Advertisement