Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

city square

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I'd much rather Debenhams or M&S take Dunnes current location in CSq. And then Dunnes moves into the new unit, which gives them their 2 units across the road from each other.
    Both the Dunnes Stores units are in need of a major refit. Has anyone ever gone into the lift in Dunnes in CSq? Awful.

If Debenhams did go into the smaller unit, then I'd like to see Top Shop break free and create their own store - and bring back Top Man as well. Would be good to see shops like Pull and Bear and Bershka in Waterford too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

fricatus wrote: »
    Any idea what the size of the new unit in the front is, compared to the two floors that Debenhams currently occupy?

I hope they wouldn't downsize too much - a tiny Debenhams with F-all variety of stock would not be a price worth paying for M&S.

I’ll be sad to see Debenhans go or scale back. That is a fine shop as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Noticed that Cherry Bomb has a Closing Down Sale, after only roughly two months in City Square

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Noticed that Cherry Bomb has a Closing Down Sale, after only roughly two months in City Square

jesus thats not good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    jesus thats not good

I don't know. How many bath bombs would you sell throughout a year. Could see it doing well in the run up to Christmas but after that.

• Advertisement

914 wrote: »
    I don't know. How many bath bombs would you sell throughout a year. Could see it doing well in the run up to Christmas but after that.

Probably not much, still is doesn't look good, to have an opening and closing within the space of 2 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Was it intended to be a permanent outlet or maybe just for Christmas? I've not been in there so haven't seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Cherry Bomb were in Cork last year opened in both the city and a shopping center outside it.

Opened before xmess and closed down just after. I say its like the calndour shops thay open every xmess and close down after

Well that makes sense it is very seasonal trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Well that makes sense it is very seasonal trade.

Never thought for a second that it was more than a two month operation, thought that was obvious.having said that, hopefully they did well along with other retailers in city. usual quieter period now for all retailers, hopefully not too quiet and some one takes up city square front unit and sammccauleys lively enough.

• Advertisement

Cherry Bomb were in Cork last year opened in both the city and a shopping center outside it.

Opened before xmess and closed down just after. I say its like the calndour shops thay open every xmess and close down after

Calendars make sense for seasonal trade, I would never have figured scented bath products would be seasonal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Calendars make sense for seasonal trade, I would never have figured scented bath products would be seasonal

I would consider them seasonal as you would buy them for xmess mustly as gifts.

Lush is in Cork and they are just one product of there range.

A buessines selling just bath booms a could not consider it a business thay would service year round

• Registered Users Posts: 10,406 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I would consider them seasonal as you would buy them for xmess mustly as gifts.

Lush is in Cork and they are just one product of there range.

A buessines selling just bath booms a could not consider it a business thay would service year round

Spell check ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

greenspurs wrote: »
    Spell check ?

Cheque Smell?

Poor Spellers of the World.. Untie! ;)

Well the Balcony Cafe didn't last long

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Always found it weird that you had to order at the chopped counter

Always found it weird that you had to order at the chopped counter

I think it was a spin-off Chopped, but it mustn't have worked out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Whats going on with Chopped?

I have been in there three times this week and each time the tables were dirty., they are understaffed or they dont have half their ingredients. On a busy saturday only 2 staff working and the poor young guy told me they usually run out of most food about half 2 each day (!) and dont have enough staff to prepare. And just close when its not busy or they dont get paid apparently.

They were completely out of rice and soup saturday and sunday. I couldnt believe when he told me they prep marinade and cook all the food themselves while juggling the running of the shop. Surely that's a terrible way to run a successful food company? Itd make more sense to at least have one extra staff member prepping food instead of leaving customers wait 10 mins while 1 of 2 members of staff preps food/washes dishes etc.

Especially with the vast amount of bowls of prepped food they have each day.
    The staff are sound but seriously who the hell is running that place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

It sounds to me like they are not doing well and cutting costs by ordering less food, less variety and keeping staff numbers down. Which is compounding their problems due to poor services and not a close to full menu.

I have heard of it closing early also by 5pm mid week when a friend of mine went. Who ended up going to Abrakebabra next door that was still open

I was there on Saturday and they had about 1/3 of what is on offer in most Chopped stores in Dublin. They were even low on salad.

Its a shame because it reflects badly on the franchise as a whole. Perhaps they need to go some more promotion. Its not the best food court for footfall. If it was on Michael street instead of one the the many charity shops would do much better and probably have cheaper rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Went there for lunch once, can easily say it was one of the worst lunches I was ever serve up. Not surprised at all its closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭pflanagan132

Waterford is crying out for an M+S. Does anybody have any solid info? Is Ferrybank a dead duck?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Waterford is crying out for an M+S.

Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Overall I think M&S are closing 100 stores.

I did hear something about a Waterford location, but overall they are not doing great financially so it might not be anytime soon.

Would be great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Boooourns wrote: »
    Went there for lunch once, can easily say it was one of the worst lunches I was ever serve up. Not surprised at all its closed.

would of loved too try one of there pizzas but wont have the chance now

Find the Abra in the foot court a bit expensive, only decent place is the Starbucks.

its a bit of a balls of a food court tbh compared to ones in other cities

Waterford is crying out for an M+S. Does anybody have any solid info? Is Ferrybank a dead duck?

Ferrybank? in what respect.

M&S are earmarked to go into the Debenham space once they close/move as far as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

PTH2009 wrote: »
    its a bit of a balls of a food court tbh compared to ones in other cities

The walk from the food court to the men's toilets is ridiculous. The whole uptairs plan is all over the place.

Ferrybank? in what respect.

M&S are earmarked to go into the Debenham space once they close/move as far as I recall.

All respect Harry bit i think you imagined that.

Max Powers wrote: »
    All respect Harry bit i think you imagined that.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108696746&postcount=415

To be fair...why would that persons tweet/rumour carry any weight?
    The marks and spencer Irish manager said they were looking to open in Waterford, they've been looking for about 10 years, since they eventually decided to open in clonmel, there was a rumor about that time that they were looking at the ORR, truth be told, its same now, no basis to it at all beyond the manager saying in local paper, no indication where or when.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Are calendars even that popular anymore now that everyone has calendars and reminder tools on their smartphones? Or is the appeal of 12 different photos of Daniel O'Donnell or Justin Bieber still enough to shift vast quantities of them?? :confused::confused:

Advertisement