Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

city square

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Kylemore Cafe as a brand is now gone, but the company behind Kylemore has several brands and could fill a food hall on their own
    https://www.ksg.ie/about/

Ah my apologies, when I saw KSG I assumed Kylemore, good to see that a couple of brands may be going in there so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Toilets are apparently free. So that's a good step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

iseegirls wrote: »
    Toilets are apparently free. So that's a good step in the right direction.

Shame they aren't the easiest to get to from the food court unlike before. Still being free is a plus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Actually a few weeks ago when the toilets opened first... they had the now mens toilets as the ladies ones, after all ladies wondering why there were urinals in there, they seemed to change them around now.. Too much hassle and effort gone into toilets!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Actually a few weeks ago when the toilets opened first... they had the now mens toilets as the ladies ones, after all ladies wondering why there were urinals in there, they seemed to change them around now.. Too much hassle and effort gone into toilets!

The toilets layout are a joke. The mens ones feels like I'm walking into an area I shouldn't, you have to walk through a door at the end of the hall, and I mean a door with a handle you have to open, like a bedroom door. Many people were getting confused. The ladies toilets are much more easier to access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It looks like they're not actually finished yet and the current men's are temporary. I thought I passed a different door along the corridor marked as men's toilets, but it's not open yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Is it just me or does anybody else think this thread has become painful?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I was in there over the weekend, and went to Chopped. As good as any other Chopped I've been to. Think they are doing a free food giveaway on Tuesday this week.

Regarding the City Square itself. Its looks pretty much exactly the same. Some changes but many still unfinished. Really struggled to see why it was closed for so long. Mostly the same as it did in the early 90s when it first opened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

I was in there over the weekend, and went to Chopped. As good as any other Chopped I've been to. Think they are doing a free food giveaway on Tuesday this week.

Regarding the City Square itself. Its looks pretty much exactly the same. Some changes but many still unfinished. Really struggled to see why it was closed for so long. Mostly the same as it did in the early 90s when it first opened

It seems much of the construction work in Waterford takes forever because it's under-staffed.

Couldn't agree more. Was upstairs over the weekend, and if anything, it looked smaller. When you look at the big food areas that Liffey Valley have and even Mahon Point - I think they'll struggle to fit more than 2 other restaurant/coffee shops up there.

The corridor going from Debenhams to the food market is ridiculous. No smooth transition into the area, with so many toilet signs indicating many are confused by the system.

Also Carraig Donn - missing out on the height of the yearly trade due to their place not finished yet. They should have stayed in Georges Court until it was at least finished.

And also, could they not have placed the Calender Store area into the empty store that's directly across from them? Not much space on either side around there on a busy weekend with buggies flashing by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

Couldn't agree more. Was upstairs over the weekend, and if anything, it looked smaller. When you look at the big food areas that Liffey Valley have and even Mahon Point - I think they'll struggle to fit more than 2 other restaurant/coffee shops up there.

The corridor going from Debenhams to the food market is ridiculous. No smooth transition into the area, with so many toilet signs indicating many are confused by the system.

I felt the same, thought it looked smaller and realised that it isn't fully opened yet. The area as you enter from Debenhams is still clossed off.

Stood there for 15 mintues scratching my head about it being smaller the realised the part on the opposite side of the left was still closed.

Think the mens toilet area is also temporary as once fully completed it will be near of beside the womens.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

why do we make a farce of everything in Waterford ??

first it was the Airport, now a refurbished shopping centre which looks very similar to what it was before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

PTH2009 wrote: »
    first it was the Airport, now a refurbished shipping centre which looks very similar to what it was before

I don't know how they are going to fit a boat in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

dzilla wrote: »
    I don't know how they are going to fit a boat in it.

bloody predictive text fixed now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Also Carraig Donn - missing out on the height of the yearly trade due to their place not finished yet. They should have stayed in Georges Court until it was at least finished.

And also, could they not have placed the Calender Store area into the empty store that's directly across from them? Not much space on either side around there on a busy weekend with buggies flashing by.

Carraig donn had no choice, their lease was up and the new unit is delayed which they did not expect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

iseegirls wrote:

Couldn't agree more on this it's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

I'd give the Centre a few months till they have finished their renovations and then decide if its been worthwhile. If there's no new, ie. different tenants, then its been a complete waste of time. Chopped is new I'll grant you BUT its a very expensive place for a bit of salad. Think of Aldi's weekly Super 6 range in comparison - 6 differnt fruit+veg for 49c each.

I'd give the Centre a few months till they have finished their renovations and then decide if its been worthwhile. If there's no new, ie. different tenants, then its been a complete waste of time. Chopped is new I'll grant you BUT its a very expensive place for a bit of salad. Think of Aldi's weekly Super 6 range in comparison - 6 differnt fruit+veg for 49c each.

I dont think that is a fair comparison. You would not logically compare McDonalds with the price of burgers in Aldi.

A fair comparison would be pricing Chopped against other fast food options available. Its pretty much the same price as a McDonalds, Supermac's, O'Brien's, but with higher quality and nutritional ingredients. Its not a simple salad, more of a meal. Many of the options would come with a full chicken breast in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

I dont think that is a fair comparison. You would not logically compare McDonalds with the price of burgers in Aldi.

A fair comparison would be pricing Chopped against other fast food options available. Its pretty much the same price as a McDonalds, Supermac's, O'Brien's, but with higher quality and nutritional ingredients. Its not a simple salad, more of a meal. Many of the options would come with a full chicken breast in them.

I had something in Chopped @ Dublin Airport a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty overpriced for what it is. Healthy food shouldnt cost that much. I reckon there's a fair mark up which is reflected in Chopped's healthy profits!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I had something in Chopped @ Dublin Airport a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty overpriced for what it is. Healthy food shouldnt cost that much. I reckon there's a fair mark up which is reflected in Chopped's healthy profits!

ah shur, thats the main game in town

• Advertisement

Of course there is but you could say that for anything. How much do you think its cost to make a pizza? Probably costs the likes of Dominos a couple of euro and the sell it for over €20. I used to work in a Pizzeria in Waterford and the mark up is huge.

Its a full meal, and costs between €6-€8 euro. That is no more than you would expect to pay in any other place you would go for lunch for less nutritional value.

Is it cheaper to make salad at home? yes. But to get all the bits to are adding in you would want to be eating it salad every day and meal prepping. Personally I think its great to have fast convenient healthy alternatives readily available. Try the Cajun Lemon dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Would be great to see boojum come to Waterford. Amazing place for food and ten times better than chopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Boojum is so overrated. Tasteless guacamole, horrible spicy salsa. You obviously haven't tried Amigo on Michael street, unbelievable food. Better than any boojum or large burrito chain I've tried funnily enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Was in Chopped yesterday, just to see what the fuss was all about. Nice, and I'll probably go back from time to time, but what's with all the fcuking plastic? Are they trying to destroy the planet and the oceans on their own? I'd have thought a place with that sort of cool, hip, young image would have used compostable containers if they have to use something disposable. And plastic cutlery? :rolleyes:

Would be great to see boojum come to Waterford. Amazing place for food and ten times better than chopped.

Agreed. Best chain store burrito in Dublin imo.

my favourite place is el Grito in the Temple bar arch across from the Ha'Penny bridge, authentic Mexican made by Mexicans. But that is another thread all together :D

Was in Chopped yesterday, just to see what the fuss was all about. Nice, and I'll probably go back from time to time, but what's with all the fcuking plastic? Are they trying to destroy the planet and the oceans on their own? I'd have thought a place with that sort of cool, hip, young image would have used compostable containers if they have to use something disposable. And plastic cutlery?

If you look at the green cutlery is it bio-degradable , has a mark on it by the handle. Cant say about the bowls as I'm not sure.

Boojum is over-rated compared to our own Amigo imo.

I was in Chopped during the week, I loved it. Got the Mexican Street Wrap and swapped the pineapple and tomato with avo and spinach. Really really good.

El Grito in Temple Bar though..... Tremendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Most food is cheaper if you buy and prepare it yourself. You are paying for the convenience of eating healthy "fastfood" in the centre of town. If you were to bring a packed lunch made with ingredients from Aldi with you on a shopping trip, where would you plan to eat it? It's December so outdoors is probably not realistic. A bench in city square, with people rushing past with prams and bags bumping off you while you balance your lunchbox on your lap? And that's if you can actually find a bench to sit on.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

fricatus wrote: »
    Was in Chopped yesterday, just to see what the fuss was all about. Nice, and I'll probably go back from time to time, but what's with all the fcuking plastic? Are they trying to destroy the planet and the oceans on their own? I'd have thought a place with that sort of cool, hip, young image would have used compostable containers if they have to use something disposable. And plastic cutlery? :rolleyes:

The plastic is recyclable. That's the point

• Advertisement

Carraig Donn shop looks good, and the huge new City Square sign also looks nice.

Advertisement