Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

city square

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Was just in there today for the first time since it was done up. Is Carraig Donn and Chopped the only new thing about it?

I went upstairs to check out the food hall. Lots of teenagers sitting around the wide open space acting the maggot, and Chopped over in the corner. Are there plans to add some more food outlets there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I walked along the upstairs from one end to the other, exiting at Carraig Donn and Chopped and it was like walking through a corridor which had
    a row of grey narrow doors on the left, (maybe a few on the right) and it felt like walking along a prison cell corridor, I don't get this at all. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Rents, rates and service charges are simply too high. I know of four good retailers that wanted to locate there and all are saying figures aren't adding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It will take Michael Street to start and bring prices down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Or Ferrybank...... (I'll get my coat!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I walked along the upstairs from one end to the other, exiting at Carraig Donn and Chopped and it was like walking through a corridor which had
    a row of grey narrow doors on the left, (maybe a few on the right) and it felt like walking along a prison cell corridor, I don't get this at all. :confused:

It is long and depressing, I hope they do something like in the Gorey Shopping Centre and line their toilet corridor with beautiful aerial photos. Really makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

danjo-xx wrote: »

How can you exit at Carraig Donn? You must have been going through the air vents to get that far over from the food hall to Carraig Donn on the upper floor? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

iseegirls wrote: »
    How can you exit at Carraig Donn? You must have been going through the air vents to get that far over from the food hall to Carraig Donn on the upper floor? :D

Maybe it's because I have always been known as a little rat:P

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

Any update on what shops are going into the new units. Looks empty especially up in the food court they built apart from Chopped. I'm presuming that the 2 big units on the outside have stores ready to move into them. Hopefully it will up and running soon.

Any update on what shops are going into the new units. Looks empty especially up in the food court they built apart from Chopped. I'm presuming that the 2 big units on the outside have stores ready to move into them. Hopefully it will up and running soon.

Still not heard anything yet about new stores moving in.

Must say that Arundel Square is looking very nice, with it nearly being completed, with the path outside City Square/Carraig Donn being worked on now. Be good see Wetherspoons open up there, along with something going into Alfie Hales. Also I thought a cafe was going into that other Sports Shop on the corner, but no news on that either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Must say that Arundel Square is looking very nice, with it nearly being completed, with the path outside City Square/Carraig Donn being worked on now. Be good see Wetherspoons open up there, along with something going into Alfie Hales. Also I thought a cafe was going into that other Sports Shop on the corner, but no news on that either.
    Starbucks moving into food court in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Planning approved on coffee chain in that old sport shop.
    In news and star says discussions at advanced stage for new main unit on front of CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Starbucks in City Square? Can we just have Burger King back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

It is unfortunate that the rent and rates are so high only mass chains can move into them. Just what Waterford needs another over rated chain coffee shop :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

It is unfortunate that the rent and rates are so high only mass chains can move into them. Just what Waterford needs another over rated chain coffee shop :rolleyes:

Cafe Nero is going in according to Eddie Muligan from what I remember....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The proliferation of cafe's/coffee shops in Waterford over the last few years is just unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

The proliferation of cafe's/coffee shops in Waterford over the last few years is just unsustainable.

Don't forget the gadget shops and kebab houses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Its not always the rent and rates (it is in the cse of city square), but many landlords want blue chip retailers becasue it gives their investment a higher value.

e.g a shop rented to the newly started Ceiling Fly Sambo and Coffee Company at 30k a year would sell as an investment for about €350k.

Same shop rented to Costa / Insomnia / Nero / Stabucks at same rent would ahve an investment value of €450k+

So many landlords will sit on an empty property until the right retailer comes along and will often take a lower rent from a big name than an independent will offer.

And that's why main streets and shopping centres all have the same names and there's a dearth of independent retailers in prime pitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Starbucks in City Square? Can we just have Burger King back.

Theres definitely an opportunity for one now, dont know what you had until its gone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

If you think Waterford is bad its worse in Dublin, 4 new cafe/restaurants etc opening on a street where there is already maybe 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭JohnC.

sillysocks wrote: »
    Cafe Nero is going in according to Eddie Muligan from what I remember....

That's supposed to be across the road, where Sports Savers were. They got planning permission last month. Which is more than some coffee shops do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Max Powers wrote: »
    Planning approved on coffee chain in that old sport shop.
    In news and star says discussions at advanced stage for new main unit on front of CS.

Sorry yes that’s what I meant, I replied to the wrong post! Cafe Nero is to go into Sports Savers and I think to have outside seating too.

The smaller coffee shop beside sport savers closed recently. Maybe due to the fact that Cafe Nero was on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

The smaller coffee shop beside sport savers closed recently. Maybe due to the fact that Cafe Nero was on the way.

Maybe or maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

How many coffee shops can a town have or actually want?
    There is a crazy amount in the town and city. And a cup of
    the black stuff is pretty expensive all told. So instead of Ireland
    having a load of pubs the new addiction is coffee. Sitting around
    posing inside or outside. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

How many coffee shops can a town have or actually want?
    There is a crazy amount in the town and city. And a cup of
    the black stuff is pretty expensive all told. So instead of Ireland
    having a load of pubs the new addiction is coffee. Sitting around
    posing inside or outside. ;)

Loads of coffee shops but so be it.......definitely better that we are getting away from the pub Culture and the associated health and social issues/problems that arise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Waterford whispers covered this 3 years ago :D
    Coffee Shops To Outnumber People By 2025
    February 24, 2015 - BREAKING NEWS, LIFESTYLE

WITH the number of coffee shops in the country currently just under two million, experts are now predicting that figure will double by 2025.

A recent study found there is one coffee shop opening up every 17 minutes in Ireland alone.

“There are more coffee shops now than pubs,” said head researcher of the research, Patrick Moore. “There needs to be some kind of regulation introduced before the whole country turns into one big hippie coffee commune.”

In Waterford city alone, there are over 400 coffee shops – that’s one every 30 feet.

“C’mere boi, the town is broke and yet there’s still people drinking three euro cups of coffee like there’s no tomarra!” said local businessman George White, with two sugars. “Sure, all it does is make ya **** and give you the heebie jeebies – anxiety in a cup is all it tis!”

The coffee industry is worth over 67 billion euros to the Irish economy, making it one of the most sought after start-ups in the country. However, economists have warned of a possible ‘Coffee Bubble’, that may burst if not dealt with appropriately.

Speaking to WWN earlier, economist David Harrington admitted that a coffee crunch may be on the cards: “To be honest, I really hope it does collapse for my sake. Since the economy started picking up again, no one wants to listen to my doom and gloom stories anymore. It has to stop. What goes up, must go down.”

“Before, a coffee shop was somewhere in Amsterdam you went for a spliff, now its the new altar for the church of assholes,” he concluded.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/02/24/coffee-shops-to-outnumber-people-by-2025/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As I am at only a short remove from the hostility er hospitality business I can report running costs esp labour are high, yet there must be enough froth on a cappuccino to make them pay at least until someone with deeper pockets and famous brand name moves in next door but one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://www.shelflife.ie/waterford-city-square-welcomes-starbucks/

Starbucks definitely confirmed for the food court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

ongarboy wrote: »
    http://www.shelflife.ie/waterford-city-square-welcomes-starbucks/

Starbucks definitely confirmed for the food court.

So are they just moving from john roberts square or keeping that open as well

Advertisement