Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement Desktop Build

Options
  • 11-03-2015 10:53am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I need to replace my aging 7 year old desktop which has served me tremendously well, but I need some more power, since having just bought a full HD IPS screen, it struggles with full HD videos on the 1920x1080 revolution due to the CPU maxing out and playing games at this higher resolution is not really possible.

Things I want to have
    256GB SSD Drive - Doesn't need to be bigger, since I will be also be carrying forward a 1TB Samsung for storage usage.

8GB Ram - Don't want any more for the moment since I don't need it but want the motherboard to support at least 16GB or 32GB for future expansion.

Intel i5/i7 Processor - I don't want anything AMD Related, I have always prefered Intel and want to stay that way.

Tower Case. No need to be anything fancy, just basic, as long as it has a good reliable PSU, and USB Ports that can be used on the front and space for a DVD Drive, it's good.

Motherboard with room for expansion - I got over 7 years out of my old Gigabyte board due to it's huge future proofing, room to expad ram and add extra drives later if required would be very helpful.

Graphics card is not required at the moment, since I will bring forward my GT650 and upgrade graphics at later date.

Template
    1. What is your budget?
    €500 - €600

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)
    Internet
    HD Videos
    Browsing
    Multitasking
    Light gaming (Football Manager etc)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]
    Yes - OEM

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)
    1GB Samsung SATA Hard Drive
    LG DVD / Blu Ray SATA Drive
    USB Wireless Mouse
    USB Wireless Keyboard
    Wifi stick
    Geforce PCIe graphics card

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]
    NO

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.]
    1920x1080 23" IPS - No plans to change

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]
    No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]
    Mildly yes, but not that keen.

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]
    Any way you want.

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]
    Early April.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Your CPU maxes out playing videos? What exactly are you doing?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Serephucus wrote: »
    Your CPU maxes out playing videos? What exactly are you doing?

Full HD at 1920x1080 causes the CPU to max out from Youtube etc.

If I use my old screen at a lower resolution it's fine, it's just the extra processing strain from the higher quality videos and outputting them to a higher resolution chokes it.

720p is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 4460 €175
    Nanoxia DS3 €60
    Crucial 8Gb RAM €60
    PSU €60
    SSD €100
    €90 or so motherboard
    Windows 7 €20
    That's about €570 delivered, I'll get proper prices and links later op

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Case €66

i5 4460 €180

8gb RAM €60

256Gb SSD €92

400W PSU €50

Gigabyte Motherboard €100

Windows 7 Pro €20

The case has 3 fans installed, its huge, quiet and has space for 3 disk drives and 9 hard drives. Should be okay for the forseeable future.

The CPU is locked, so you can't overclock it. If you want an overclockable one, or would like to upgrade to an overclockable CPU while keeping your motherboard you'll want a better motherboard for overclocking. Won't affect price too much.

RAM is RAM pretty much.

The PSU will allow you to add another HDD, another SSD, upgrade graphics card to a GTX 970 and have 4 RAM sticks and still have some left over. If you want more power, shout.

Motherboard supports up to 4 sticks of RAM, or 32Gb. It has 1 PCIe 16 slot, if you'll want a dual graphics card setup then it won't do, but that's irrelevant for your needs I would think.

I've used that seller on Reddit, so he's cool.

Total is €576 delivered.

Advertisement