Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding hit/injured animal - what to do?

• 11-03-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Yesterday my wife and I were heading into town and a car had stopped and was reversing on the other side of the road. Was kinda strange until we saw a poor bichon frise at the side of the road writhing pain with a bit of blood from it. I think the car that was reversing may have just hit it. They were going back and another 1 or 2 cars pulled in in front of us and got out. We had to go on, there were quite a few people there so hopefully they got it sorted. Very distressing thing to see, dont have a dog myself but have two cats.

So we were wondering then what is the actual correct procedure in a case like that? Call the guards and report it yeah. Would the guards then contact someone to come out and treat the dog or put you in contact with them to advise if they'll come out or you should try and take the dog to them? Or do you need to get a contact number for nearest vet? I know if there is a lot of blood you should ovbviously try and stop the bleeding etc. Just curious. Its a horrible thing to see.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

chris_ie wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yesterday my wife and I were heading into town and a car had stopped and was reversing on the other side of the road. Was kinda strange until we saw a poor bichon frise at the side of the road writhing pain with a bit of blood from it. I think the car that was reversing may have just hit it. They were going back and another 1 or 2 cars pulled in in front of us and got out. We had to go on, there were quite a few people there so hopefully they got it sorted. Very distressing thing to see, dont have a dog myself but have two cats.

So we were wondering then what is the actual correct procedure in a case like that? Call the guards and report it yeah. Would the guards then contact someone to come out and treat the dog or put you in contact with them to advise if they'll come out or you should try and take the dog to them? Or do you need to get a contact number for nearest vet? I know if there is a lot of blood you should ovbviously try and stop the bleeding etc. Just curious. Its a horrible thing to see.

I hope the poor dog is ok... For me if i knocked a dog down i would stop, call my local vets and bring the poor thing in for treatment - after all it was me who hit it....

On the same note if i found an injured dog / cat at the side of the road (which i had nothing to do with) - id still put the dog in my car and bring it to a local vet - there is no way on this earth id leave it there.

I just hope and pray of my guy was ever in that situation someone else would do the same.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

cocker5 wrote: »
    I hope the poor dog is ok... For me if i knocked a dog down i would stop, call my local vets and bring the poor thing in for treatment - after all it was me who hit it....

On the same note if i found an injured dog / cat at the side of the road (which i had nothing to do with) - id still put the dog in my car and bring it to a local vet - there is no way on this earth id leave it there.

I just hope and pray of my guy was ever in that situation someone else would do the same.:rolleyes:

Yeah I would do the same if I hit an animal or came across one already hit. Its just that in this case a number people had already stopped. I'm hoping the poor dog was ok. I don't understand how anyone could hit an animal and drive on. The vet we use isn't the nearest vet. I might just put the nearest vets number in my phone just in case it's ever needed! (Hopefully not).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

chris_ie wrote: »
    Yeah I would do the same if I hit an animal or came across one already hit. Its just that in this case a number people had already stopped. I'm hoping the poor dog was ok. I don't understand how anyone could hit an animal and drive on. The vet we use isn't the nearest vet. I might just put the nearest vets number in my phone just in case it's ever needed! (Hopefully not).

yeah i know what you mean.. but thankfully a number of other people had already stopped XX fingers crossed the poor thing i sok

Advertisement