Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Melbourne for a few years

• 11-03-2015 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We've (wife and I) decided to take a postition in Melbourne for a few years and see how it goes. We've done a fair bit of research already and spent a few weeks there, just looking for some general advice about moving there.

Hope to have a bank account in place before we go along with getting the visa sorted. We'll be letting the house here for now, I know we have to declare that as income.

Any recent movers want to offer up any advice or experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If you have a job sorted here then it should be fairly simple.

Bank accounts take minutes to sort out once you are here but if you can get it done before you land, even better.

You'll need to apply for a tax file number (TFN) when you arrive. Simple online application thats takes 24 hours max to get the number. It's like your PPS(?) number in Ireland for tax purposes.

Finding a nice place to live will be the biggest thing when you get here. Looking at places, knowing what area you want to live in, how much you can spend etc...

Being married I'm guessing you'll want your own place so you'll need to have your bond (deposit) ready and probably 2 weeks rent in advance. General places to look would be real estate sites, Gumtree or websites like flatmatefinders.com.au etc...

Air BnB could be a good option to have your own private space the moment you arrive and get settled too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Xennon wrote: »
    Hi all,

We've (wife and I) decided to take a postition in Melbourne for a few years and see how it goes. We've done a fair bit of research already and spent a few weeks there, just looking for some general advice about moving there.

Hope to have a bank account in place before we go along with getting the visa sorted. We'll be letting the house here for now, I know we have to declare that as income.

Any recent movers want to offer up any advice or experiences?

The VISA is the first thing everything else can wait.

Know where you job is and where you need to live in order to get there.

What suburb is your job ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Hi folks,

Its out in Hawthorn, we have two weeks organised in one of the catered apartments, should give us enough time to find somewhere a bit more permanent.

Been monitoring realestate.co.au, seems to be a prety high turnover of places. We're thinking of sticking to city area for a while, can get the train out to work, and its been a while since we've lived in a city, so hell why not :D

Though if we find a nice enough place out that direction we may take it aswell...wont bother starting to look untill about 2/3 weeks before we head. Your head would be done in looking at places.

Wondering about a car? probably something cheap n cheerful, we found the public transport to be grand for what we need.

I'll be looking for work in IT, not sure what area yet, or even if Ill stick with IT, could be a good time to change, will see.

Mate your on the Lilydale line working there, start looking at suburbs and properties near the stations on that line.

A lot of nice areas on that line

http://www.railmaps.com.au/routedetails.php?RouteSelect=10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Thanks Zambia, Yeah I know we've been looking...just the city lights...theyre shiny! :D

• Advertisement

Mate , I used to live 10 mins from the city by train. That's more than close enough. Think living in ranelagh as opposed to living of Parnell st.

See what you think of hawthorn itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

keep an eye on Irish around Melbourne on Facebook very helpful page !!

Advertisement