Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Protien amount needed!

• 11-03-2015 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I am about to start two months of Bulking.(but also trying to lose belly fat!)

I eat a croissant in the morning
    A meal that looks about the size of the attached photo(I eat this meal consistently 5 days a week-I love!)
    I then run to to the gym in the evening(.75 miles), do a weight lifting session for an hour. Have a protein drink that has 26g of protein. Run home(.75 miles). And have two boiled eggs. And a handful of vegetables.

What I was wondering is if I am getting enough protein from this to build muscle?

I'm 5' 10, 11.5 stone, and 33 years old.
    Work in an office environment and get about 7 hours sleep a night. I do the gym 5 days a week.

Any lose and uninformed opnions welcome!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

You are not eating enough protein and you are not eating enough food full stop. You should be eating closer to 2400 calories a day and ~160g of protein.

Have a look at the calculator here

Eat at or just below your maintenance calories for 8 weeks and see what happens, What do you mean by weights session. Do you squat / bench press / pullups?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭pipelaser

conzy wrote: »
    You are not eating enough protein and you are not eating enough food full stop. You should be eating closer to 2400 calories a day and ~160g of protein.

Have a look at the calculator here

Eat at or just below your maintenance calories for 8 weeks and see what happens, What do you mean by weights session. Do you squat / bench press / pullups?

Thanks Conzy,
    While at the gym i do pull ups, machines to strengthen arms, chest and back. 3 sets of 12 on a variation of 12 machines. Lifting maybe 20kgs average because puny at the moment, but will get up to 30-35 in two months.

What I'm really looking for is how much calories and how much Protien is in the meal in the photo? I'm conscious that I want to lose belly fat at the same time. So the balance need to be right I understand.

I have bulked before, but it's just the belly fat didn't go away.

By your reckoning how much protein/calories am I getting a day as it stands?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Bulking and losing fat at the same time? Hope you have some extra 'supplements' for that.

If you're worried about the extra fat it'd be best to just cut until you're happy with your bf and then start lean bulking for as long as possible

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

That meal looks like a large chicken breast, about 100g of coleslaw and some salad?

That meal has ~450 calories, 37g of protein, 29g of fat, minimal carbs

A croissant is ~200

A protein shake has ~150 calories

2 eggs has ~ 140 calories

If this is all you are eating you are chronically under eating. You are eating less than 1000 calories a day and only 75g or so of protein.

On top of that you are running 3km a day and spending 5 hours a week in the gym?

How long have you been eating like this? Before you worry about "bulking" you should increase your food intake to a "normal" level. You are only eating 40% or so of the amount of food you need. And you metabolic rate is obviously extremely low as you are essentially starving yourself.

You should track your food in myfitnesspal or similar and start increasing your intake slowly, 200 calories a week for 6 weeks to get you up to around 2400 calories. ignore the scaled for the next 6 weeks. Its important to get back up to a healthy calorie intake

This video may be helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SjLYrWT2_k

• Registered Users Posts: 41 international shooter

conzy wrote: »
    That meal looks like a large chicken breast, about 100g of coleslaw and some salad?

That meal has ~450 calories, 37g of protein, 29g of fat, minimal carbs

A croissant is ~200

A protein shake has ~150 calories

2 eggs has ~ 140 calories

If this is all you are eating you are chronically under eating. You are eating less than 1000 calories a day and only 75g or so of protein.

On top of that you are running 3km a day and spending 5 hours a week in the gym?

How long have you been eating like this? Before you worry about "bulking" you should increase your food intake to a "normal" level. You are only eating 40% or so of the amount of food you need. And you metabolic rate is obviously extremely low as you are essentially starving yourself.

You should track your food in myfitnesspal or similar and start increasing your intake slowly, 200 calories a week for 6 weeks to get you up to around 2400 calories. ignore the scaled for the next 6 weeks. Its important to get back up to a healthy calorie intake

Couldn't have put it better myself. Forget about bulking and forget about cutting. Get your metabolism back to normal. When you start slowly adding calories you may even notice that you lose a little fat as your metabolism comes right, but as I said don't worry about cutting or bulking. Then in time when your back to normal, decide what your goals are. i.e do you want to lose fat or add muscle while keeping in mind that you can only do one thing or the other as a natural lifter. If you continue what your doing you will make no muscle gains due to the low protein intake and due to the fact your not in a calorie surplus and you won't lose any fat because you are eating so few calories, plus exercising, that your metabolism is effectively gone into survival mode and its not worried about losing fat its worried about surviving or in other words maintaining its current state and no matter how much you run or how low you drop your calories your body will resist losing fat and will eventually eat muscle to survive. So stop what your doing because if you keep going you will seriously hurt your well being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 reelsmash

whenever i try to do this both.. i tend to fail.. what usually works for me is bulk up, then start to eat cleaner onto the proper cutting of fats... and maintaining is another harder part lol..

Advertisement