Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a small satellite dish

Options
  • 11-03-2015 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

So we were considering a small satellite dish, but we have no idea if it will do what we want.

we would like to get tv channels from our home countries, germany and pakistan. in germany we have a rather large dish that has 2 lnb's for german and pakistani channels i assume.

how can i find out if i can receive those channels here as well? and where to get small dishes anyway?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Do you know which satellite the Pakistani channels are on, or can you name some of the channels?

If they're on the satellites at 13 or 28 degrees east, it wouldn't be a problem to combine them with German channels from 19 east, on a reasonably sized dish. (Maybe 80cm, not sure what you have in mind as 'small'.)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Thurston? wrote: »
    Do you know which satellite the Pakistani channels are on, or can you name some of the channels?

If they're on the satellites at 13 or 28 degrees east, it wouldn't be a problem to combine them with German channels from 19 east, on a reasonably sized dish. (Maybe 80cm, not sure what you have in mind as 'small'.)

what we have at home in germany are mostly (if not exclusively) astra, eutelsat and hot bird and they carry all the channels we watch, including pakistani ones. i'll happily abandon the german channels, its not too important to me.

i guess i'll have my parents at home look up what satellites the pakistani channels are on exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

on amazon i found this dish:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Satellite-dish-single-suitable-Freesat/dp/B004VWC5LU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1426096170&sr=8-7&keywords=satellite+dish

would this be enough to receive eutelsat/astra?
    on a lot of descriptions it says "suitable for Sky, Freesat". what exactly does that mean? does that mean they cant receive any other satellites like astra/eutelsat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

The size of dish you need depends on how strong the signal is at your location for the channels you want.

The dish in the Amazon link is a zone 1 Sky dish, the larger zone 2 (about 60cm top-to-bottom) is generally used in Ireland for installations receiving from 28 degrees east, where the Sky/Freesat programmes are transmitted. I would think the zone 1 would be OK for these satellites the majority of the time (outside of severe 'rain fade' effects) in most of Ireland, if you would prefer to sacrifice some reliability margin for the smaller size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 anthonywatson

I was onto Sky today to cancel my contract to go freesat. They told me that Freesat in Ireland will be gone in May, that the UK stations (bbc, itv, c4 etc) are stopping their broadcasts from being received in the republic. Has anyone any info on this? I tried to start a thread but could not figure out how to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

I was onto Sky today to cancel my contract to go freesat. They told me that Freesat in Ireland will be gone in May, that the UK stations (bbc, itv, c4 etc) are stopping their broadcasts from being received in the republic. Has anyone any info on this? I tried to start a thread but could not figure out how to do it.

They're lying. If you're talking to them again, raise it as a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I was onto Sky today to cancel my contract to go freesat. They told me that Freesat in Ireland will be gone in May, that the UK stations (bbc, itv, c4 etc) are stopping their broadcasts from being received in the republic. Has anyone any info on this?

Stopping the broadcasts to the Republic of Ireland would also mean stopping the broadcasts for UK Freesat users. Not happening.
    I tried to start a thread but could not figure out how to do it.

"New Thread" button, top left of the forum front page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Thats disgraceful that they lied to you like that, im glad i left Sky as they seem to be trying anything to keep people tied to them. Its rip off TV. I used to love having Sky as i always watched the sports channels but now i have Freesat & Saorview and i would not get Sky ever again. I would most definitely make a complaint and if you could remember the person that you were talking to that would be good as you know who you can complain about.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Losing subscribers won't pay for the ludicrous amount of money spent to secure English Premier League rights! :pac:

Advertisement