Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunboyne 4 Mile Race, 29/03/2015

Options
  • 11-03-2015 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Folks, the Dunboyne 4 Miler is on Sunday 29th March at 3 pm and we hope lots of you will be there!

GPS course link: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/161599136

More details at:
    http://www.dunboyneac.com/4_mile_road_race.html
    or at:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/410234662491492/

This year we're offering a 'Captain's Concession' - this will give money back to your club if you sign up a good number of people (€4 per head for over 20 entries and €5 per head for over 40!). Check out the Facebook page for more details or contact us there.

Rate this race: 4 votes

1 star *
    0% 0 votes
    2 star **
    0% 0 votes
    3 star ***
    0% 0 votes
    4 star ****
    0% 0 votes
    5 star *****
    100% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I'm in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Mulberry wrote: »
    Folks, the Dunboyne 4 Miler is on Sunday 29th March at 3 pm and we hope lots of you will be there!

This year we're offering a 'Captain's Concession' - this will give money back to your club if you sign up a good number of people (€4 per head for over 20 entries and €5 per head for over 40!). Check out the Facebook page for more details or contact us there.

Great idea re. club deal. Worked well for Raheny in the 5 miler I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I signed up a while back. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Next race on the go to list around the pale - hope to see plenty of familiar faces about the place on the 29th. Some big names due to run on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

happygoose wrote: »
    Some big names due to run on the day.

Are the big names a secret?

tang1 wrote: »
    Are the big names a secret?

Must be ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

what's not a secret is the great atmosphere as you run through the village and the fact that there's cake..

Good luck to all running!

May the wind be at our backs the whole way round :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Best of luck to everyone taking part today!

The weather is improving as we speak :)))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

A bit of a windy race but thoroughly enjoyed the day and thankfully the rain stopped for the race. Great atmosphere in the village as well. Quite possibly the largest size small t-shirt I've ever seen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Wasn't running myself but my son was and the organisation and support was brilliant. I'll be doing it next year myself. Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Well organised, good tshirt , would've been an easy course only for the wind, see you next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Well organised and good quality t-shirt.
    Timewise i had a very poor outing,possibly the wind was partly to blame,never really seemed to be behind us:confused: Did an out and back recovery run in the Phoenix Park after and was almost blown home with the wind at my back so a small consolation that the conditions were tough.
    A calculator and ruler in the goody bag to measure and calculate where it all went wrong:(

hawkwing wrote: »
    Well organised and good quality t-shirt.
    Timewise i had a very poor outing,possibly the wind was partly to blame,never really seemed to be behind us:confused: Did an out and back recovery run in the Phoenix Park after and was almost blown home with the wind at my back so a small consolation that the conditions were tough.
    A calculator and ruler in the goody bag to measure and calculate where it all went wrong:(

:D my sentiments exactly!

Super race and organisation, as usual. T-shirt down to my knees but I will be seen for miles around on a dark night :)

Not my day timewise, but I ended up a little higher in the rankings than last year so will make do with that.

Thanks Dunboyne AC for all the work (and baking!) that made for a flawless race.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Great race...very lucky the rain held off...wind was a killer and seemed to be against us a lot more than with us. Delighted to have made the top 50 and improve on my time last yr :)
    The route really is fantastic passing through the village 3 times so great for spectators and support.

Any results online yet? sounded like a great day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

hawkwing wrote: »
    ha ha brilliant! I'll echo that!!! Post of the year:D:D:D

Great race today (well not my personal race but everything else about the race was great)!
    Organisation seamless and really helpful marshals. Course would be lovely on a less windy day.
    Well done to all. I'll definitely be back! Kids were so lovely and polite and friendly at the goodie bag pick-up!
    No faults whatsoever with organisation today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

demfad wrote: »
    Any results online yet? sounded like a great day.

http://www.precisiontiming.net/result.aspx?v=2514

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

well done out there today guys & gals, it was windy! I hope you all got a much deserved cuppa and cake afterwards and have the feet up now, definitely extra running brownie points today in those conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Take a bow Dunboyne a/c, well organised event, nice spread afterwards and great support in the village.
    wind played havoc, seemed to be unfavourable for 3/4 of the race.
    My 1st time doing it, but will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Well done Dunboyne AC, huge participation on such a poxy day, and really well organised. Great t-shirt (no complaints on the medium size) and then a fab spread laid on after the race in the community centre. As for the race....3 times through the big crowds in the centre of the village on a figure 8 course makes for a great event. Hard yards out on the last mile where the wind was your enemy and the cheers at a lull, but once past the watertower with 600 to go, it all seemed downhill and I got to squeeze a bit more out of somewhere for the final few yards. Knocked 6 mins off last years time getting in just under 29mins, very happy all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Gleedog

SO.MUCH.WIND!! But I'll be back next year :D

I'll calculate my projected time using the calculator in my goodie bag *so excited*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Funny but the last time i did this race, i think it was 2012, it was 22 degrees out. Call me mad but i prefer todays condition (only for racing of course;))

Just wondering if anyone can make a guess at the effect the wind on Sunday would have had on times ? I know the wind would have affected people differently and some are better than others at battling through it but if anyone could make an educated guess at quantifying the difference per mile compared to a calm day I'd be interested to hear it. I'm not obsessing over this, honestly :D !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I ran a parkrun the day before and the wind was similar, most people seemed to be about a minute off their pb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can make a guess at the effect the wind on Sunday would have had on times ? I know the wind would have affected people differently and some are better than others at battling through it but if anyone could make an educated guess at quantifying the difference per mile compared to a calm day I'd be interested to hear it. I'm not obsessing over this, honestly :D !

Mark Kenneally ran 18.26 winning this in 2011 on what was a calm sunny day from what i remember as i ran it myself. He ran 19.27 on Sunday, over minute slower. I know hes making his way back from injury, but its a big difference for a runner of his talent, so the wind had a serious impact on times i'd say.

Bungy Girl wrote: »

Hi bungy.

The winners PB in the half marathon should put him at close to 18. I doubt he was in PB shape but still.

Calculated averages from the results:

Top 50 in 2015 ave 22.01
    Top 50 in 2014 ave 21.19

• Advertisement

demfad wrote: »
    Hi bungy.

The winners PB in the half marathon should put him at close to 18. I doubt he was in PB shape but still.

Calculated averages from the results:

Top 50 in 2015 ave 22.01
    Top 50 in 2014 ave 21.19

Thanks very much Demfad, that's an interesting way of looking at it. I did compare a few of the top women's times but it's hard to know who's in PB form and who might be coming back from injury etc. I guess averaging the top 50 smooths out the odd exception.

Feeling a lot happier about my 20 seconds now :D

Advertisement