Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIRT refund FTB

• 11-03-2015 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi all,

Following the measures introduced in the last budget, has anyone (first time buyers) claimed a DIRT refund for the deposit? I have looked on revnue.ie but I cannot find any info. on how to claim it back. I know it will be a small amount but everything helps.

Thanks for an advice

Cheers
    JJ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭TeaServer

I'd also be interested to hear some more details on this subject. Has anyone started the process to begin the claim? How do you even identify how much has been paid?

/T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭uli84

Oh forgot about this one...Interesting how there is no info anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭uli84

anyone did that I wonder? What document needs to be provided to confirm purchase date?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 astradia

Hi,

Hope it's ok to resurrect this thread again but just going through this process at the moment and curious to see how others got on.
    I submitted all the details including Statements of Interest with details of DIRT to Revenue but they say that they are unable to process without 48 months of full statements (not just interest) prior to purchase date showing total amount of savings. However with ordering statements costing 3 euro per page, the price for this could consume a large amount of the refund. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,250 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

astradia wrote: »
    Hi,

Hope it's ok to resurrect this thread again but just going through this process at the moment and curious to see how others got on.
    I submitted all the details including Statements of Interest with details of DIRT to Revenue but they say that they are unable to process without 48 months of full statements (not just interest) prior to purchase date showing total amount of savings. However with ordering statements costing 3 euro per page, the price for this could consume a large amount of the refund. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
    I did this I would say about 8/9 months ago got refund of close to 200 euro in a few weeks.
    I definitely didnt send in full statements. I just got statements of interest paid for each year and sent them, I was with BOI at the time,

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jacob55

I submitted an application over 2 months ago but I have not heard anything since. I am surprised how long it is taking. I only submitted certificates of DIRT and not full statements.

The whole process is complicated and calculating the refund on a pro-rata basis when dealing with multiple rates of DIRT over multiple years in multiple banks is difficult.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hazydays123

Is it worth doing this if you only saved say 20-30k over a period of 9mths? By worth it I mean will you end up with more than €50 for your time in processing it?

€200 to me seems like a huge refund all things considered. I really didn't think it would amount to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭ionapaul

My wife and I applied for this at the start of the year and got the full amount (just over €2,000 IIRC, we pretty much had the maximum amount saved for the full 48 months, took us a long while to get around to buying our first house!) about 3 months later. Was a good bit of work as mentioned above but I knew we'd be claiming a relatively high amount it was well worth the effort.

I submitted a) an excel spreadsheet detailing the different savings accounts, broken down by year, total amount paid in interest that year and then DIRT amounts and b) as many of the certificates of interest as could be attached to the online claim (maybe 10 or so?); I mentioned in the submission form that I had a good few more certificates to provide, they just needed to contact me when they started to process it. No-one ever requested these. I assume that Revenue or whomever processes the claims has access to lots of your financial info so can independently see if your claim matches DIRT paid, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 UnReasonable

does anyone know if this applies only to new builds/self builds. I bought a previously owned apartment and I can't see anything in the revenue FAQ's saying that I can't apply.

Anyone know for sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,250 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

does anyone know if this applies only to new builds/self builds. I bought a previously owned apartment and I can't see anything in the revenue FAQ's saying that I can't apply.

Anyone know for sure?
    My house was built in 1940s so definitely doesnt have to be new build/self build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Do you pay DIRt on current accounts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Can you claim both the FTB grant, and a rebate on DIRT I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

sozbox wrote: »
    Do you pay DIRt on current accounts?

If interest bearing - which I don't think any are anymore. The interest rates were pathetic anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭baldbear

Has any first time buyer claimed dirt back recently? I keep seeing an error on the website when i try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Thefact

baldbear wrote: »
    Has any first time buyer claimed dirt back recently? I keep seeing an error on the website when i try.
    I get an error as well, I have sent a message to the revenue but haven't received a reply yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭baldbear

Thefact wrote: »
    I get an error as well, I have sent a message to the revenue but haven't received a reply yet.

It's back working today. Was 2 weeks down anyway.

Advertisement