Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea (1) v PSG (1) ko 7.45

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not disputing the cards involved , just the crowd gathered

465705018.jpg

Big crowd.

Di Maria, the offending party. Rooney, the team captain and Fellaini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Not disputing the cards involved , just the crowd gathered

Have a watch of Souness's take on it on SSN, he called it very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

awec wrote: »
    It's of no surprise that this example is posted because I bet it's the only one you actually have.

The two clubs are chalk and cheese, and I say that as someone who supports Liverpool.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but that Keane incident was not to try and get a player booked or sent off as far as I remember. :)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uMfVfEKzksY/UTdZ0DtfXXI/AAAAAAAACSM/jvHnlwIqdmo/s1600/1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't think that has anything to do with Mourinho, its to do with them being the last English team to win the Champion's league and almost always being in contention to win the Premier league title and the domestic cups.
    Can only speak for myself but for me its all down to mourinho and the way he goes about his business. If arsenal or city were to turnaround their 2nd legs Id be quite pleased for them as I respect their managers and I enjoy the way the set up their teams to play football.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭BarcodeMuncher

Have a watch of Souness's take on it on SSN, he called it very well.

Completely agree with his view, its fair

Quazzie wrote: »

Is that not from when Nani was sent off against Real?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Youre right i didnt read the other 67 pages in the last ten minutes, you win the Internet, congrats, at least you have something to enjoy apart from the football.:cool:

Interesting people don't normally admit to not knowing what they are talking about kudos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Can only speak for myself but for me its all down to mourinho and the way he goes about his business. If arsenal or city were to turnaround their 2nd legs Id be quite pleased for them as I respect their managers and I enjoy the way the set up their teams to play football.

I agree.

If Ancelotti or Di Matteo were the managers of Chelsea, people would not gloat as much.

Completely agree with his view, its fair

His point was that Chelsea set out from the off to get Paris players in trouble by hounding the ref.

His point was that Chelsea set out from the off to get Paris players in trouble by hounding the ref.

He also had a good go at Oscar for his theatrics.

The way he got on you'd think that his foot had become detached from his leg during the tackle.

• Advertisement

Interesting people don't normally admit to not knowing what they are talking about kudos

If only Chelsea had been as successful as you are in this domain, would have been a different night.

Ah, sorry different incident, I felt Paris hounded Chelsea of the park there with aggression often spilling over into fouls. Veratti should not have stayed on in Paris. Beside the point all teams try to influence refs with pivotal decisions always involving many

Is that not from when Nani was sent off against Real?

Still harassing the ref, and also Rooney was calling for a second yellow for Bellerin on Monday. United have been doing it for years.

Anyways back to the game tonight. I thought Lavezzi was superb tonight but he was given a lot of freedom. I thought Matic would've had a much larger influence.

The way he got on you'd think that his foot had become detached from his leg during the tackle.

Ya i only half saw it first and thought he must have done him, on seeing it i was astonished he sent him off.

Every team these days try to influence the ref one team is no better or worse than the others it is part of the game now. Personally don't like it but it is the way it is.

Still harassing the ref, and also Rooney was calling for a second yellow for Bellerin on Monday. United have been doing it for years.

Anyways back to the game tonight. I thought Lavezzi was superb tonight but he was given a lot of freedom. I thought Matic would've had a much larger influence.

Rooney is the captain!

Every team these days try to influence the ref one team is no better or worse than the others it is part of the game now. Personally don't like it but it is the way it is.

Except this is nonsense.

Chelsea are quite clearly much worse than the rest.

In fairness he got a kick in the head off John Terry who was too busy trying to get to the ref to give a ****.
    Rooney is the captain!

So captains are allowed ask for other players to be booked? Bullshít

Ah, sorry different incident, I felt Paris hounded Chelsea of the park there with aggression often spilling over into fouls. Veratti should not have stayed on in Paris. Beside the point all teams try to influence refs with pivotal decisions always involving many

Ah i dont think Veratti did anything in Paris that warranted a red, Veratti is a serial fouler but usually its niggly ones, same as Matic did all night tonight.

• Advertisement

In fairness he got a kick in the head off John Terry who was too busy trying to get to the ref to give a ****.

Aye but before that! :D

He got a tap on the calf from the upper bit of Ibrahimovic's foot. You'd honestly think his leg snapped clean in two.

If only Chelsea had been as successful as you are in this domain, would have been a different night.

Doubt it PSG got what they deserved tonight and best of luck to them. Disappointed of course but when the tie was drawn it was always going to be tight they are a very good side. OK they had 10 men for a long time but Jesus they worked so hard looked like we were a man down.

Looked like he was struggling early in the game, his ankle wasnt right id imagine.

Except this is nonsense.

You have proof of course your argument is pure jibberish you know it I know it but if it makes you happy on you go.

Ah i dont think Veratti did anything in Paris that warranted a red, Veratti is a serial fouler but usually its niggly ones, same as Matic did all night tonight.

A red in my book, terrific player all the same

Except this is nonsense.

Ah its unsavory, no one likes to see it but it happens with every team, things boiled over tonight a bit more often so a bit more showed perhaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Except this is nonsense.

Barcelona say hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Cuadrado is looking more and more a pointless buy. Has Mourinho seen him in training and come to the conclusion he has been sold a pup, I wonder

One or two big name players will get the axe from that Chelsea team. Fancy Oscar to be sold in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Except this is nonsense.

I'm not really sure you've watched much football if you actually believe this nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Just finished the game late, RTE kept saying it was a spoiled game but i quite enjoyed the battle.

This dispels some of the persona of Chelsea for me that's been coming a while. It is interesting to see Chelsea totally outplayed in large parts of the game and with no real creativity throughout the team bar Hazard. Cesc Fabregas was once again annoymous - Verrati showed him how to play ball, instead Cesc living off his first 10 games in a Chelsea shirt playing 90% of his passes sideways, wasn't until they went a goal down he stood up.

Matic gets a huge amount of credit at times but when it comes to actually playing the ball the guy is poisonous. Small niggly fouls and gives his fair share of kicks yet gets knocked over and freaking out! There was a reason why Chelsea let him go the first time. They wanted to change the ugly football culture of Chelsea, but judging from tonight, they are still the same boring lifeless team they always were.

Drogba as a backup striker is also a joke, the guy paraded around the stadium last season for Galatasaray and was shown up as a hasbeen. Putting him on to save your skin is bad judgement. There is no room for sentiment in football - surprised Jose has been allowing himself to be fooled on that one. Costa looked rattled tonight, was bullied off the ball by Tiago and Sideshow Bob who play a hard mans game, Costa thought he was hard but was shown up tonight as an impostor.

Reminds me of Di Maria a little at the moment. Put Hazard in a different side with attacking flow and a free scoring and see how good Hazard could be, instead he is too busy rolling around the floor looking for yellows and reds. It's a reflection of the manager.

It is a good sight to see Chelsea beaten and beaten well by a side that stood up to the bully. They'll walk to the league but will always run into a PSG from time to time to remind them of their place.

I understand disliking a man, that's fair enough.

But what is with the obsessive pre-occupation with every word he says? Every Chelsea thread where they lose is filled with "can't wait to see Mourinho's comments" and "Can't wait to see Mourinho's face". It seems like opposition fans hang on to his every word more than Chelsea fans. Can you explain why that might be?

Is it because he's honest, unabashed in his enthusiasm for the club he's working for, speaks what he actually thinks and doesnt pander to the cameras and doesn't try to claim the nonsense "class" trophy?

It's just utterly inexplicable how worked up people get over a manager who is simply defending his team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

A red in my book, terrific player all the same

Seriously? One foot, about an inch off the ground, that's not even close to a red card!

Seriously? One foot, about an inch off the ground, that's not even close to a red card!

Didn't get booked for it although missing the ball as well as coming through the back of Hazard and not receiving a booking, its all in the past anyway. He is some talent and I reckon given the right draw PSG could go far, they showed some fight for it

But what is with the obsessive pre-occupation with every word he says? Every Chelsea thread where they lose is filled with "can't wait to see Mourinho's comments" and "Can't wait to see Mourinho's face". It seems like opposition fans hang on to his every word more than Chelsea fans. Can you explain why that might be?

Is it because he's honest, unabashed in his enthusiasm for the club he's working for, speaks what he actually thinks and doesnt pander to the cameras and doesn't try to claim the nonsense "class" trophy?

It's just utterly inexplicable how worked up people get over a manager who is simply defending his team

I think jealous is the word you look for. Liverpool United City Arsenal would love him to be their manager but there we are he is a blue

Just finished the game late, RTE kept saying it was a spoiled game but i quite enjoyed the battle.

This dispels some of the persona of Chelsea for me that's been coming a while. It is interesting to see Chelsea totally outplayed in large parts of the game and with no real creativity throughout the team bar Hazard. Cesc Fabregas was once again annoymous - Verrati showed him how to play ball, instead Cesc living off his first 10 games in a Chelsea shirt playing 90% of his passes sideways, wasn't until they went a goal down he stood up.

Matic gets a huge amount of credit at times but when it comes to actually playing the ball the guy is poisonous. Small niggly fouls and gives his fair share of kicks yet gets knocked over and freaking out! There was a reason why Chelsea let him go the first time. They wanted to change the ugly football culture of Chelsea, but judging from tonight, they are still the same boring lifeless team they always were.

Drogba as a backup striker is also a joke, the guy paraded around the stadium last season for Galatasaray and was shown up as a hasbeen. Putting him on to save your skin is bad judgement. There is no room for sentiment in football - surprised Jose has been allowing himself to be fooled on that one. Costa looked rattled tonight, was bullied off the ball by Tiago and Sideshow Bob who play a hard mans game, Costa thought he was hard but was shown up tonight as an impostor.

Reminds me of Di Maria a little at the moment. Put Hazard in a different side with attacking flow and a free scoring and see how good Hazard could be, instead he is too busy rolling around the floor looking for yellows and reds. It's a reflection of the manager.

It is a good sight to see Chelsea beaten and beaten well by a side that stood up to the bully. They'll walk to the league but will always run into a PSG from time to time to remind them of their place.

That was the perfect cocktail of utterly hilarious, unequivocally bitter and gremlinally (that's my own one) miserable. "Stood up to the bully" is wonderful, keep it up!

Also just noticed the "boring, lifeless team they always were" sentence, you're a gift that keeps on giving. This boring lifeless team has scored the 2nd most goals in the Premier League, only 2 behind City (who knew how exciting a lifeless team could be!). Fun Fact #2, most goals in the Chanpions League Group stage! If that's boring, then sign me up to be meekly knocked out in the group stages in Europe and have a mediocre cup run around the lower league grounds (is that what a life-full team is?)

I think jealous is the word you look for. Liverpool United City Arsenal would love him to be their manager but there we are he is a blue

No.

We wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If he managed the team I support Id probably think differently but there is no other manager that annoys me as much as he does. I certainly wouldnt class him as honest everything he says if for the benefit of his club and he uses the media to put undue pressure on officials like no other manager. I dislike the football he plays he has managed chelsea and real madrid two clubs with unbelievable resources yet still try's to win the big games playing negative football. He started off this season playing refreshing free flowing football but has reverted to type the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

So maybe the two French clubs are going to knock both their London opponent out of the CL. Who'd have thought beforehand?

Anyway, it's a great night for French football (and hopefully not a one shot, we've been used to so much sh*te & crap lately :rolleyes:...) and a wonderful one for PSG. Their performance tonight will make them gain a lot of respect in Europe but also a lot of positive reactions in France where they're always heavily criticised. Their qualification tonight echoed Artur Jorge & Luis Fernandez' glorious PSG from the 90ies.

Coming back to the game, for me Mourinho is to blame tonight. Before the game he put the pressure on the ref and well is it a coincidence that the ref had a howler? And well Kuipers refereed last year CL's final so he's supposed to be one of the best european ref. Anyway, this "mindgame" backfired splendidly on Mourinho's face.

When Zlatan got his RC I honestly thought it was game over. But then Chelsea didn't really push that hard to break PSG down. And actually in the second half PSG down to 10 men were putting Chelsea under pressure :confused:. I couldn't belive it. At the exception of Eden & Cesc, Chelsea did not try to play football tonight. They tried to beat the 10 PSG players by making them lose their nerves. How pathetic? And what a waste when you have a look at Chelsea squad :rolleyes:.

I thought Mourinho had finally stopped his nonsense "Al Capone football style" from Real Madrid when I saw Chelsea playing such an enthusiastic game at the beginning of the season. Well that's long gone now. Don't know what really happened but Mourinho typical clichéd communication ("everyone's against us", "no one likes us", "the refs want us to lose", etc... I admit I'm caricaturing it a bit :p) must have played a big part in tonight's result. I mean if you take the very easy & tempting example from Guardiola's team tonight, what did they do? Kept attacking, putting the opponent under pressure and well they crushed them. With the players they have, if Chelsea had put PSG under pressure like they did last year, no way could Paris have survived it. It's beyond me why a coach like Mourinho decided otherwise, particularly when the opposition was down to 10 at the half-hour mark :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Yeah, spot on. The PSG players didn't tolerate a lot of Chelsea's antics and didn't succumb to their tactics. They played their own game even with a man less, and it was a mightily enjoyable one to watch. Great football from them, especially those midfielders: Veratti, Motta, Pastore. As for Costa, you play in dirt you get dirty - Silva and Luiz handled him well.

No.

We wouldn't.

I really can only speak from personal experience and that is every United and Liverpool supporter I know would love Him as manager. But I don't know everyone so if that is your view fine but I am delighted He is ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

iroced wrote: »
    So maybe the two French clubs are going to knock both their London opponent out of the CL. Who'd have thought beforehand?

Anyway, it's a great night for French football (and hopefully not a one shot, we've been used to so much sh*te & crap lately :rolleyes:...) and a wonderful one for PSG. Their performance tonight will make them gain a lot of respect in Europe but also a lot of positive reactions in France where they're always heavily criticised. Their qualification tonight echoed Artur Jorge & Luis Fernandez' glorious PSG from the 90ies.

Coming back to the game, for me Mourinho is to blame tonight. Before the game he put the pressure on the ref and well is it a coincidence that the ref had a howler? And well Kuipers refereed last year CL's final so he's supposed to be one of the best european ref. Anyway, this "mindgame" backfired splendidly on Mourinho's face.

When Zlatan got his RC I honestly thought it was game over. But then Chelsea didn't really push that hard to break PSG down. And actually in the second half PSG down to 10 men were putting Chelsea under pressure :confused:. I couldn't belive it. At the exception of Eden & Cesc, Chelsea did not try to play football tonight. They tried to beat the 10 PSG players by making them lose their nerves. How pathetic? And what a waste when you have a look at Chelsea squad :rolleyes:.

I thought Mourinho had finally stopped his nonsense "Al Capone football style" from Real Madrid when I saw Chelsea playing such an enthusiastic game at the beginning of the season. Well that's long gone now. Don't know what really happened but Mourinho typical clichéd communication ("everyone's against us", "no one likes us", "the refs want us to lose", etc... I admit I'm caricaturing it a bit :p) must have played a big part in tonight's result. I mean if you take the very easy & tempting example from Guardiola's team tonight, what did they do? Kept attacking, putting the opponent under pressure and well they crushed them. With the players they have, if Chelsea had put PSG under pressure like they did last year, no way could Paris have survived it. It's beyond me why a coach like Mourinho decided otherwise, particularly when the opposition was down to 10 at the half-hour mark :eek:.

Chelsea may well win the league, but surely Abramovich must look at the way they are playing football and be thinking....I'm spending all this money on players and we are playing like a League 1 side?

• Advertisement

If he managed the team I support Id probably think differently but there is no other manager that annoys me as much as he does. I certainly wouldnt class him as honest everything he says if for the benefit of his club and he uses the media to put undue pressure on officials like no other manager. I dislike the football he plays he has managed chelsea and real madrid two clubs with unbelievable resources yet still try's to win the big games playing negative football. He started off this season playing refreshing free flowing football but has reverted to type the last few months.

Can only say I disliked Fergie with a passion but would have loved him at thr Bridge.

Chelsea may well win the league, but surely Abramovich must look at the way they are playing football and be thinking....I'm spending all this money on players and we are playing like a League 1 side?

trophies are the be all and end all. The trophy isn't going to say Winners: Chelsea (but did not play good enough football).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

That was the perfect cocktail of utterly hilarious, unequivocally bitter and gremlinally (that's my own one) miserable. "Stood up to the bully" is wonderful, keep it up!

Also just noticed the "boring, lifeless team they always were" sentence, you're a gift that keeps on giving. This boring lifeless team has scored the 2nd most goals in the Premier League, only 2 behind City (who knew how exciting a lifeless team could be!). Fun Fact #2, most goals in the Chanpions League Group stage! If that's boring, then sign me up to be meekly knocked out in the group stages in Europe and have a mediocre cup run around the lower league grounds (is that what a life-full team is?)

Bully - Costa trying to plow through players and throwing guys about when the Refs back was turned. Matic fouling everything that moved. Not to mention the captain making 80 yard runs to get in the Refs face to make sure he reaches for Red time after time - all lead by the manager whose instructions they follow. Hazard falling to the ground and play acting practically everytime he is touched.

Just a side note, did you the replay when Zlatan fouled and got Red? Terry jumped about 4 foot off the ground in his "reaction" and ran to the Ref ... imagine he's jumped that high for the PSG winner ... Tiago wouldn't have gotten near it. ;)

You make some good points about an "attacking Chelsea" there, pre xmas ... but you know it yourself they've not been the same team since the tun of the year - yes they were killing teams, exciting, creative and free flowing ... practically the opposite of what they were tonight. Instead we got 120 mins of ugly ugly football.

Your refusal to accept how poor they were against 10 men is the gift that keeps giving ... otherwise known as denial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I posed this question a while back to Chelsea fans here and the basic answer I got was that as long as it was winning football Abramovich didnt really care .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94333856&postcount=220
    Maybe I'm missing something but has Abramovich given up on the idea of his Chelsea team playing attractive football ?

Manager after manager was hired in the hope of playing attractive football ,Scolari,Ancelloti,AVB;some had success others hadn't .

I thought the return of Mourinho was with the stipulation that the team would try to change from their old defensive style and become more open ?

I really find it hard to watch this Chelsea side play ,they are an ugly team .
    Big ,strong,physical ,hard working with a couple of flair players but mostly workhorses.

This parking the bus style of play has to change surely ,is Mourinho ever going to give it a go trying to outplay decent teams ?

Does he want to change ?
    He stifled his Real side anytime they tried to play Barcelona until eventually he or maybe player power finally changed the approach and it bore fruit.
    Surely Abramovich cant be happy watching the football produced by his team where the initiative is handed to the opponents anytime Chelsea encounter a half decent footballing side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

trophies are the be all and end all. The trophy isn't going to say Winners: Chelsea (but did not play good enough football).
    I partly agree with you here. I mean, of course, professional sports is about winning but teams can be remembered for more than that.

No one forgot Johann Cruyff's total football Netherlands from the 70ies. They didn't win any trophy.

Brazil 82 failed to win trophies but their team lead by Socrates & Zico is considered one of the best in History. And on the contrary, Dunga's 94 Brazil won the WC and were not that celebrated back home.

Guardiola's Barça is as famous for the amount of trophies they collected than for the gamestyle (an evolution of Cruyff's Netherlands) they were offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

One thing I'll never understand is why opposing fans celebrate when another team loses? Seeing United fans cheering that PSG knocked out Chelsea etc etc. Why do you's even care?

PSG have a great chance to possibly win it now. If Draw goes well for them

One thing I'll never understand is why opposing fans celebrate when another team loses? Seeing United fans cheering that PSG knocked out Chelsea etc etc. Why do you's even care?

Any fan of football would celebrate PSG winning tonight .

Its a victory for the way the game is meant to be played .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Lol, don't even start with that.

There's no 'set' way to play football. Only what you prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Any fan of football would celebrate PSG winning tonight .

Nope, that's like saying there's no good and bad music, only what you prefer. PSG played a great brand of attacking football tonight, epitomised by wonderful individual link up play from Veratti and Motta in midfield, Pastore on the wing, and both full backs. That they still stuck to this style after going a man down was a pleasure to witness and is why I was delighted that they went through in the end. Football most certainly was the winner tonight.

• Advertisement

PSG tried to play football tonight by patiently passing and moving .
    Despite being down to 10 men they took the initiative for most of the game.
    Neutrals will almost always side with the team that play the more attractive football or take the initiative.

Why do you think fans of other clubs do not like Mourinho or his team ?

Is it because of their overly cynical and physical style of play which is crude and negative ?

Is it because Mourinho constantly rubs up opposing teams and managers the wrong way ?

Is it because of Mourinho's constant conspiracy theories and whinging about the referees and the media campaigns against him ?

Is it because of the odious nature of alot of the Chelsea players ?

Is it the fact that Chelsea have spent over £1bn pounds on players and wages since Mourinhos first spell yet play like Wimbledon FC ?

Take your pick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement