Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC adaptor (transformer?)

• 11-03-2015 6:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I thought this might be the most likely forum to get informed answers, mods please move if there is a better place.

I'm looking for one of these:
    picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=15339

It's quite heavy and came with an internet radio. It says adaptor on it, but I think it's a transformer(?). It fell and has split open (reassembled for photo). I can look online, but a physical shop in Dublin area would be good too. Pointers towards reliable online models very welcome too. It's hard to shop when you don't know the name of what you are looking for.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It must be 12V
    and MINIMUM 1.5A
    So a 12V DC 2A supply will work.

p.s. It's an Internet streaming client. It's not a radio unless it does AM/FM etc. Radio sets are anonymous and use broadcast.

Internet destroys privacy as the program provider knows where you are (even who is possible), time and duration connected. So an issue for corporate snoops (like Google) or personal security in many countries.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Hope it didn't fall on your toe!

Note that polarity symbol also, most similar transformers will be centre positive (as that one is) but just check to make sure. Hard to know what size the plug is but again there's one or two very common sizes and it's definitely one of those.

You might find a very similar suitable power supply from an old set of beefy PC loud speakers. I might have one at home, will take a look.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Would this do?
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PHILIPS-GENUINE-UNIVERSAL-AC-ADAPTOR-12V-1500MA-P018HB1201-FOR-SIGNAL-DEVICE-/151058462741

The original was a Tangent Quattro Internet and FM radio but their recommended replacement part only comes with a European 2 pin plug - more feckin adaptors!

http://www.tangent-shop.com/product.asp?product=101

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

You could try tvtrade.ie and get a 12v camera 2 amp power supply, you will have it quicker than your ebay solution. If you order before 4.30pm most of the time you will have it next day.

http://www.freetv.ie/power-adapter.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The eBay one will do fine, once the DC plug is the right size. It likely is. Same with polarity.

Power city might have suitable ones too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I might bring it with me so that I can check. I can give them their 'looney customer of the day' story.

Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

spurious wrote: »
    I might bring it with me so that I can check.

I horrified PC World by checking RAM they about to charge me for by opening the laptop at the till and testing it.

No, I didn't buy their insurance either.

Many PSUs don't work with real radio sets due to the RF Interference produced, so if you use LW for BBC R4 or MW for Absolute, Scotland, Wales or Five live, bring THAT radio and make sure the PSU (when plugged into the Internet Streaming box AND ALSO only plugged into mains) doesn't interfere.

My official Amazon Kindle charger is useless (interference), but my Sony Phone charger (charges Kindle fine) is perfectly OK.

Same issue with some CFL replacement lights.

Advertisement