Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Does Nintendo Have A Death Wish?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Call of Duty isn't the best example to use, Ghosts and Black Ops 2 were on the Wii U. Advanced Warfare isn't there and that's probably as the previous ones just didn't sell enough to bother with the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

da gamer wrote: »
    In fairness lads the guy has a point here. They are 9 unbelievable games, some of the best to be released on the last gen. Although I don't believe you can compare digital download prices to physical copies. Imagine get 9 Nintendo games for 33 Euro!?
    That's what annoys me about Nintendo, they never surprise or reward their fans. Wouldn't it be great to go to the Nintendo store and even buy half that amount of games on sale for that price? Unfortunately that will never happen as they don't respect the consumer enough.

That's pretty harsh. Getting a free game for purchasing Mario Kart was pretty good. They've actually had quite a few free game offers the past year or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

da gamer wrote: »
    In fairness lads the guy has a point here. They are 9 unbelievable games, some of the best to be released on the last gen. Although I don't believe you can compare digital download prices to physical copies. Imagine get 9 Nintendo games for 33 Euro!?
    That's what annoys me about Nintendo, they never surprise or reward their fans. Wouldn't it be great to go to the Nintendo store and even buy half that amount of games on sale for that price? Unfortunately that will never happen as they don't respect the consumer enough.

Yeah, its a sad state of affairs when it comes to Nintendos eShop...ah....s***e....almost tripped over my €10 copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy and landed on the free copies of Metroid:Fusion, Mario Kart 8 DLC and GBA Zelda games I got free from the Nintendo Stars Catalogue this week. That was close ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Deano7788 wrote: »
    That's pretty harsh. Getting a free game for purchasing Mario Kart was pretty good. They've actually had quite a few free game offers the past year or 2.

Didn't mean to come across as harsh, just feel it's the reality. I use my 3ds regularly and never seem to get any of these free games. The only free game I got (and a very good one at that) was Mario 3d land a couple of years ago. But I had to register a new console and a new game to get the free game.

Nintendo are denying themselves millions of new fans with their pricing policy and reluctance to bring out a high powered system capable of matching the other two in terms of power and playability.

One final thing, the Nintendo fans here seem to defend Nintendo with the 'well they make quality games that don't decline in price because Nintendo don't bring out 9 iterations of a game'. That's doesn't really matter. GTA is one of the most successful games franchises ever. There have only been 5 gta's (not including liberty stories etc) across 4 generations now. You can buy the 1st four new for about a tenner these days. Even 5 has come down in price on the ps4 lately. So why should Mario 64 ds, or Donkey Kong country 3ds or nsmbros2 stay at a ridiculous price? They are no more important or special than the gtas

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah, its a sad state of affairs when it comes to Nintendos eShop...ah....s***e....almost tripped over my €10 copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy and landed on the free copies of Metroid:Fusion, Mario Kart 8 DLC and GBA Zelda games I got free from the Nintendo Stars Catalogue this week. That was close ;)

Nintendo stars catalogue? Is that the marketing gimmick that they are closing down this month?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Right here's the facts. Something like Mario Kart DS and Mario 64 DS are out of print. Nintendo likely don't care about sales of those games. If they want to sell them at a discount they offer the distributes credit effectively throwing away profit. So doing this is stupid.

Now the thing is these games were heavily discounted even in places like gamestop, going from 20-25 euro, with the store taking the hit to shift stock. However in the interim the games went out of print demand has risen and the price has gone up.

So with those facts how is this Nintendo's fault.

Now let's look at the other argument were you compare apples and oranges, gta and a mario game. Most big triple A games make most of their sales within the first month then excess copies need to be shifted by the publisher taking a credit hit otherwise excess stock won't shift as consumers have lost interest in the game.

GTA is different, it's like a Nintemdo game. GTA3 up to GTA4 all held their prices at quite high levels as did GTA5 right up until the next generation rerelease which is the only reason the price crashed. There is demand long after a gta game is released and it will continue selling steadily just like a big franchise game. Sales don't nosedive suddenly to nothing which is why the price does not drop.

So here's two questions for you. Is this about Nintendo being greedy is just you being mean/not willing to fork out for a game? Also how many times do you need this spelled out before you stop?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

GTA is an excellent example, as they only release two per format generation.
    And even the PS2 games have held their value, because they aren't devalued by annual releases.
    The games are not superseded by the following title either, so GTA4 and GTAV on the 360 are still pulling in money where their peers get discounted.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So here's two questions for you. Is this about Nintendo being greedy is just you being mean/not willing to fork out for a game? Also how many times do you need this spelled out before you stop?

Right let's get this straight, yet again you try to insult my earning/spending power in what is essentially a discussion about video games so grow up.

What exactly have u spelled out to me? You practically admitted yourself that the games are too expensive when you told me to go and get the games second hand on eBay. I can well afford the games, and I have bought most of the big Nintendo releases through the years. A loaf of bread costs what €2? If another bread company started making the same bread and sell it for €10 and someone complains about the price of that bread should that person be told to go get a better paying job to pay for the bread? No.

You haven't given a decent answer on anything I've mentioned, just smart comments. To answer your question, yes Nintendo are greedy imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Nintendo need to bow out of the home console market once and for all...

They've been well, truly, definitively and conclusively beaten to a pulp. It's over. No one cares about Mario and Luigi anymore. Their IP's haven't shifted Wii U's and they most certainly won't sell the NX. What Nintendo fail to realise in their Japanese bubble is that the Western gamer has grown up. They want adult material. Your average 12 year old in 2015 doesn't want to be playing Mario like they did back in 1995. Times have changed. 2015 kids and teenagers want to be shooting their mates in FPS's. That's the fact of the matter....like it or not.

Even worse is that they're being beaten at their own game by indie developers on PC. What was once their niche has spread into other areas and platforms. Indies are doing it better and cheaper.

It's time to throw in the towel and get rid of this Wii U crap that's shackled to their ankles. Time to go into the mobile arena and let's enjoy Mario on our phones where he belongs in 2015.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyway at all you can support these unsubstantiated and frankly ignorant opinions with some actual facts.

Firstly if nobody cares about mario and Luigi as characters then their games must not be selling. How come games featuring those characters are some of the best selling titles year on year, a game like new super Mario bros wii outsold even the biggest Call of Duty games. Then there's the merchandising of Nintendo properties that is a huge revenue stream for Nintendo, even more so in the last year were they relaxed the licensing and increased these profits even more so. Tastes haven't really changed much either, there's still a massive market for nintendo's well recognised character games considering the sales they generate (2.8 million copies of the 3ds smash bros were recorded after the first weekend sales in the west, there's another actual fact).

And while some kids and adults want adult material there's still a market for the more open ended gamer that just likes playing good games that aren't just defined by childish levels of violence and national jingoism. That's no different than the kids that preferred mortal Kombat over street fighter or mario because of the 'realism', I was one of those for a while. And while hitting the death match FPS crowd is a sure fire way to generate revenue, just like with movies the best way to sell shed loads of games is to create a hit that appeals to all ages and demographics, something Nintendo franchises and games do consistently in the same way Pixar did with their movies. Just look at the runaway success of minecraft or even nintendo franchises on the 3ds or WiiU (taking into account the WiiU user base size).

I'd also love to know what PC indie developers are beating Nintendo at their own game? I've never played an indie game that came close to offering a Nintendo game experience because quite frankly the best indie games are their own thing and don't try to ape the Nintendo formula.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Games are more than products. It's reductive (and IMO joyless) to look at them that way alone - it's not negligible given the comparatively high price compared to other mediums, but an overemphasis is placed on price by many over the quality and content of the game itself. They are more than their price tag, whether that's big or small. In the process of actually playing them, games are not 10 euro or 50 euro or whatever the case may be - they are entertainment, they're a cultural creation, they are - yes - art.

Nintendo, for many, are still making games that are beyond the quality of other games. To be frank, I find the likes of Crysis or Borderlands incredibly dull and uninspiring, whereas I look at Super Mario 3D World and see a peerlessly designed game with so much more imagination, energy, passion and character. I have grown more and more interested in independent gaming in recent years - I reckon far more than most - but I have yet to play an independent title that captures the same sort of magic a great Nintendo game does (I have played many that have captured a magic that's very different to what Nintendo does, but that's another topic entirely). What Nintendo does, nobody has managed to replicate as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, I'm lucky enough not to consider spending €50 on a game a few times a year a particularly significant outlay. Others may not be in that position, and that could mean price is a more significant factor - fair enough, nobody can reasonably argue with that. But when I look at games as games, beyond their price tag, Nintendo is responsible for some of the most magnificent, forward-thinking and straight-up fun games out there. They can take a gameplay idea introduced decades ago and make it seem fresh and exciting again - in their best games, they do that every couple of minutes. They are perfectionists, where every single aspect of their game has been polished and thought through. They are anything but careless, they are instead reliably creative and experimental.

Even their lesser games (and there are some for sure) tend to abound with good intentions and ambition. They even dedicate an entire iconic franchise - Kirby - to effectively testing out their wildest ideas and systems. They can also be masters of tone and mood - something like the lonely melancholia of Metroid Prime still stands out as very potent indeed. They have their limits and blindspots, absolutely - been quite a while since a Nintendo game really surprised in terms of writing or narrative (Mother is missed in that respect) - but for the most part? 'Still on top form' is perhaps even underselling it a bit. After all, they're the kind of company that will fund cult but almost certainly financially unrewarding games like Bayonetta 2 or The Devil's Third - it's hardly a good business decision, but then Nintendo is the sort of company that doesn't always play by the rules (and to say Nintendo fans always go unrewarded is absurd - I got a full other game with my copy of Mario Kart 8, for example, and early 3DS adopters were particularly well treated).

I play Crysis 3 and I see nothing but blandness, a mere tech demo first and a derivative game later. I play Mario 3D World or Mario Kart 8 or the latest Zelda game and see something vibrant and absolutely distinct, even though we've visited those worlds many times before. That's the Nintendo difference, and if the cost of entry is a premium so be it. It's ****ing worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

Nintendo is a very under rated gaming company IMO. These days people won't buy a game that isn't 1080p (PS4 fanboys) , even if the gameplay is outstanding. Mario Kart 8 doesn't run in native 1080p, does that take away from it being an entertaining game ? no
    I also believe the reason the Wii U doesn't get enough ports is because developers are reluctant to port games to the systems due to no demand not because the Wii U can't run them. GTA V and Destiny could have ran on the Wii U ( they run on PS3 and 360 ).
    I always thought Nintendo should of done a subscription service like Netflix, pay a certain amount of money a month
    and have access to a large library of classic Nintendo games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dayum wrote: »

They've been well, truly, definitively and conclusively beaten to a pulp. It's over. No one cares about Mario and Luigi anymore. Their IP's haven't shifted Wii U's and they most certainly won't sell the NX. What Nintendo fail to realise in their Japanese bubble is that the Western gamer has grown up. They want adult material. Your average 12 year old in 2015 doesn't want to be playing Mario like they did back in 1995. Times have changed. 2015 kids and teenagers want to be shooting their mates in FPS's. That's the fact of the matter....like it or not.

Even worse is that they're being beaten at their own game by indie developers on PC. What was once their niche has spread into other areas and platforms. Indies are doing it better and cheaper.

It's time to throw in the towel and get rid of this Wii U crap that's shackled to their ankles. Time to go into the mobile arena and let's enjoy Mario on our phones where he belongs in 2015.

Your points are becoming more driven by a very subjective opinion and one not reflected in anything bar the current sales of their current home console.
    And sales of the 3ds indicate you are wrong about the relevance of their games and intellectual property.
    Your comments about the NX, based on a press release confirming its development? What utter ravings are these?
    Honestly, you know nothing about it, no one does.
    Western gamers? Japanese bubble?
    Complete sh1te.
    A Japanese console seems to be outselling everything else, with mix of titles from every territory.
    Indie devs on PC competing against Nintendo?
    What fevered imaginings are these?
    You consistently give developers on the Nintendo platforms no credit whatsoever for their creation of stunning games and Indie developers too much credit for their output.
    You say you were, at some point, a fan of Nintendo hardware and software, even at a time when it was competing with the Megadrive, Xbox and later the PS2.
    So what changed for you?
    Because, the things that make Nintendo software and hardware great haven't changed at all.
    Perhaps its some cynical need to object to things online.
    Perhaps its some falling out of love with games and gaming overall.
    To only see merit in raw stats on consoles, power and sales, and finding nothing of note to value in the software alone is pretty damn sad.
    And if you want to play little more than military fps titles and Ubisoft remaking their games with the same bloody mechanics again and again you're more than welcome.
    And let the rest of us get on with enjoying proper games instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Your average 12 year old in 2015 doesn't want to be playing Mario like they did back in 1995.

Just thought I'd add this too..

The average age of the European gamer is 33.5 years old
    The average age of the American gamer is 31 years old

Globally 55% Male - 45% Female (With Women percentage growing each year)

Under 17 year olds account for less than 26% of gamers.

I didn't see a statistic for your average 12 year old in 2015, but I'm guessing it's less than 3%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Huh, that's odd.
    "In the two weeks prior to the launch, versus what we've seen now following the launch [of Mario Kart 8], we're selling at a daily rate four times higher than where we were before,"

But I'm sure he doesn't know what he's talking about.

And sales of the Amiibo have topped 5.7 million, which at approx £10.99, is £63 million, ish. Which again isn't to be sneezed at.

And you are right, times have changed. But Nintendo have survived 127 years of times changing. Just because some guy on the internet has a sudden hard on to see them fail, doesn't mean they will.

Platformers, such as NSMBU, or DKC:TF, wouldn't translate well to mobile/tablet platforms. So, why would they ditch them? SSBU wouldn't particularly translate to a touch screen, so why ditch that?

Why the hate? I don't want to see Nintendo fail. I also wouldn't like to see PS4 or Xbone fail. Because choice is good for us all.

This is the future of Nintendo....this will be something along the lines of the NX.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

This is the future of Nintendo....this will be something along the lines of the NX.

You heard it here first guys.

Nothing says FACT like a video on YouTube.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nothing says FACT like a video on YouTube.

What are you talking about? I think this is a good move for Nintendo.

What are you talking about? I think this is a good move for Nintendo.

I think we all know you would think that.
    And I think the phrase you are looking for is "this would be a good move for Nintendo" seeing as it's just a bit of click bait from a tech site.
    A fevered notion that the next console from Nintendo would be a bloody phone.
    A person would have to be out of their tiny mind to think it has any merit at all.
    What a load of cobblers.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think we all know you would think that.
    And I think the phrase you are looking for is "this would be a good move for Nintendo" seeing as it's just a bit of click bait from a tech site.
    A fevered notion that the next console from Nintendo would be a bloody phone.
    A person would have to be out of their tiny mind to think it has any merit at all.
    What a load of cobblers.

Well, why would you be against it?

Bringing NES, SNES, N64 and GC IP's to mobile devices would be fantastic! They could even charge a yearly subscription service for the entire back catalogue while continuing to focus on supporting the Wii U in conjunction with their own smartphone. Best of both worlds...

They would keep their new games on Wii U and their own smartphone while also charging a subscription service to their entire back library from earlier consoles for everyone else. It would incentivise other phone owners to perhaps buy a Wii U or even make Nintendo's smartphone their mobile of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Oh they definitely know how to do PR and do it extremely well. They just got very lazy with the WiiU and thought that could bottle lightning a second time by repeating the same thing. Well that and the WiiU gamepad still hasn't really shown any potential that other consoles haven't, a real shame because stuff like ZombiU's multiplayer show how amazing a device it can be as a sort of dungeon master controller.

The WiiU Gamepad has ended arguments over the TV when one kid wants to play Pikmin and the other wants to watch something on Netflix. I dislike the cost of them and that only one came with the console but it definitely does do something for me the other consoles this generation don't. It's turned the WiiU into a quasi-handheld in my house, but everyone seems happy with that. :P

Well, why would you be against it?

Bringing NES, SNES, N64 and GC IP's to mobile devices would be fantastic! They could even charge a yearly subscription service for the entire back catalogue while continuing to focus on supporting the Wii U in conjunction with their own smartphone. Best of both worlds...

They would keep their new games on Wii U and their own smartphone while also charging a subscription service to their entire back library from earlier consoles for everyone else. It would incentivise other phone owners to perhaps buy a Wii U or even make Nintendo's smartphone their mobile of choice.

Have you actually played classic Nintendo and Sega titles on a touch screen phone? Either via emulation or official release?
    You know how many actually work?
    None, unless the game is deliberately tailored to the format, ports of Sega titles, in my opinion, only work with the inclusion of a proper controller.
    Its just a popular notion amongst people who have lost touch with Nintendo, and that's your fault not theirs.

As soon as you prefer to play your Call of Duty Advanced Warfare on a mobile phone get back to us, otherwise please stop talking tosh.

No one has a subscription service for playing a companies back catalogue, the subscription services that do exist are tied to delivering a select fee titles each month and certainly not the kind of open plan you describe.
    Who wouldn't want to spend a tenner a month to play any historical Nintendo they can think of?
    I'd love free and cheap everything to do with my hobby but its just not going to happen, make no business sense at all.
    Part of Nintendo and their expertise at making great games is making great great hardware to play it on, integrating innovation into their consoles, controlling that creativity and melding that with their games.
    Sega never achieved that, after the Megadrive they just alienated retailers and despite a late rally from the Dreamcast had missed the boat.
    Nintendo have no such record of failure.
    They haven't had a hit with the WiiU but continue to make profits and sit on massive cash reserves, while Sony and MS lose money.
    The hardware market changes with time but it seems very unlikely Sony will jump into the handheld market again with a stand alone console and at least they have a handset in their product line.
    Microsoft have made noises about a handheld in the past but seem to be happy at the moment to add features via existing handsets, integrating smartglass concepts into their games lineup.
    So Nintendo, at the moment appear to have the dedicated handheld space to themselves, and are making pots or money at it.
    They're next console, they have indicated, may integrate their handheld and home console, perhaps it will be purely in terms of a Sony type PSN account, which would be great, or perhaps something more physical, using a next gen 3DS replacement as a touchscreen enabled controller for the home console when synced up and as a traditional handheld when on the move.
    Certainly this seems far more likely and we've seen experiments in this area already, being able to use the 3DS as a controller in Super Smash Bros WiiU, assuming you have the SSB cart also installed in the handheld.
    So there is lots of space for Nintendo to grow, lots of great games still being published, plenty of market where they are the only player and no hint that they are going to build a gods awful mobile phone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Another stupid debate on the games forum ends with the OP closing their account....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Another stupid debate on the games forum ends with the OP closing their account....

More the fool them

Do we have a post mortem or just close the thread?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm sure some brash new poster will pick up the cause down the line

Ah that's a pity, was enjoying him annoy the Nintendo fanboys here :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fare thee well thread, we'll hardly miss ye.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement