Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Does Nintendo Have A Death Wish?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

The steambox is a steaming pile of ****e its a poor mans version of a alienware pc at an extortionary price! on top of that, why would you want the steam OS when u cud have windows that already does the same thing and more...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Everybody! Please stop referring to actual Nintendo games in your arguments. That sort of carry on has no place in the games forum.
    Dayum wrote: »
    Sony subsequently went on to bury the Nintendo 64 and it hasn't been something the company have bounced back from.

I know. The miserly Wii, DS and 3DS sales had nothing on the commercial success of Sony's directly competing hardware. The cold hard figures don't lie. Unless one happens to completely misrepresent them or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

It seems this company attracts incompetence like shite attracts flies...

Back in the 90's Sony approached Nintendo about designing a CD based system and leaving the old cartridge tech in the dustbin of history. Nintendo initially liked the idea but then backed out at the last minute because, thinking they were Gods gift to the gaming industry, they wanted a bigger cut from Sony's project. Sony were furious and launched the new technology anyway - it was called the Sony Playstation instead of the Nintendo Playstation. Sony subsequently went on to bury the Nintendo 64 and it hasn't been something the company have bounced back from.

But they're still making mistakes! This is a company that simply refuses to come into the 21st century.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this company gone from the hardware world in a few years. They've got a few billion in cash but they'll never be as big as they once were. Good riddance, I say. Incompetence of the highest order.

Nintendo that bad ?

Just had a quick search on Wikipedia there

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_million-selling_game_consoles

Nintendo have 3 of the best top 5 selling pieces of gaming hardware.
    The Wii also outsold PS3 and 360

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's an awful lot of hyperbole on the Internet these days with people shouting down that such and such a company is finished after one mistake and can't make games anymore. This post is a prime example but you also see it with Square Enix and Final Fantasy 13 (ignoring that the sequels were great and their other output like type 0 and Bravely Default) or Bioware with Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 (which discounting the end to what was always a generic space opera was still a fantastic game).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Can we not just say
    No, as evidence suggests Nintendo do not, in fact, have a death wish /end thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The selfish man in me actually wishes they did have a death wish , so they fold and do a sega and start publishing their IP's on the other systems. They have many games at the minute that I watch with a jealous eye and an empty wallet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

SeantheMan wrote: »
    The Wii also outsold PS3 and 360

It sure did but it didn't shift even a fraction of the games that the other two did. The Wii was bought by many casual gamers who don't buy many games at all. I know many people, mainly women that bought the Wii as a fitness machine and then never used it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The thing is that, more so than Sega, Nintendo have tied software innovation to their hardware innovations.
    The N64, DS, 3DS, Wii and WiiU all have key Unique Selling Points built right into the hardware and the key software has used these features to create something new and original, something that coupled with Nintendo's ability to craft really good games, results in the end user getting something really special.
    Reduce gaming to a device with CPU/GPU grunt of X and displaying on a TV in Y resolution and it doesn't matter who makes the console.

It's akin to suggesting that musical instrument development and innovation should stop NOW and we should just concentrate on producing tunes on the devices and with the styles that exist now.
    If that had happened in the 1920's we'd have no Rock'n Roll, no Rap, no Disco :eek:

The other hardware manufactures just don't seem to be interested in taking risks, looking at haptics, looking at ways to interact and insinuate into the game developers crafted worlds and experiences, not to say we don't get brilliant stuff from Sony or MS, we do, but without another player there to challenge the status quo, we''' just be playing Playbox's for eternity, and I really don't want that, do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

evo2000 wrote: »
    The steambox is a steaming pile of ****e its a poor mans version of a alienware pc at an extortionary price! on top of that, why would you want the steam OS when u cud have windows that already does the same thing and more...

First of all you'll find no self respecting PC enthusiast buying anything from Alienware. Far cheaper to build your own, or at least pick out parts and have Hardwarevesand build it for you and send it to your door. Dell Alienware? FFS...
    You wouldn't be going around broadcasting that, you'd be ridiculed.

We don't know the full extent of the Steam Machines just yet. A lot of companies are jumping on the hype train trying to cash in while the irons hot. Eventually, as with all these third party products, the cream will rise to the top. One or two will gradually stand out over time nevermind the massive cut in prices closer to November launch.

Steam OS is an attempt to keep PC gaming open source i.e - Linex. They're not moving everything over for the good of their health. The problem is the complete mess that was Windows 8. Valve thinks Microsoft are closing down the system and they fear for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

First of all you'll find no self respecting PC enthusiast buying anything from Alienware. Far cheaper to build your own, or at least pick out parts and have Hardwarevesand build it for you and send it to your door. Dell Alienware? FFS...
    You wouldn't be going around broadcasting that, you'd be ridiculed.

Steam Machines, by default, aren't aimed at PC enthusiasts who can build PCs though. They're aiming the Steam Link at us since we already have the hardware to play the games somewhere else in the house (and this is a good idea by them rather than trying to sell us a whole new box).

The current Steam Machines on offer are, eh, not good value for money and worse the people they're aimed at (i.e. not PC enthusiasts) won't necessarily be able to tell this and unless there's volume don't expect good deals here. Currently it's strange and very hard to figure out who the Steam Machines are supposed to be for actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Build yourself a decent new system with a UEFI bios, bingo, Steam Machine.

This is all getting away from the OP's death wish against Nintendo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Star Lord wrote: »
    This is all getting away from the OP's death wish against Nintendo though.
    Yea, let's get back to Nintendo missing out on the utter cash cow that was the SNES version of the MEGA-CD. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

calex71 wrote: »
    The selfish man in me actually wishes they did have a death wish , so they fold and do a sega and start publishing their IP's on the other systems. They have many games at the minute that I watch with a jealous eye and an empty wallet :(

Sell your overpriced underpowered console-PC-thing with no games. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I waited until the Xbox One and PS4 were out for a year before deciding which one to buy.

I bought a Wii U.

It's games library is just so much better than the competition at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

It sure did but it didn't shift even a fraction of the games that the other two did.

Yea, Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros Wii sold very poorly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I am losing track of which posts are serious and which are sarcastic here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It sure did but it didn't shift even a fraction of the games that the other two did.

As far as I can tell, more Wii were bought than Xbox360 and PS3 games combined which wouldn't too shabby.

Total Wii Games Sold: 905,270,000
    Total XBox 360 Games Sold: 384,000,000
    Total PlayStation 3 games sold: 375,300,000

http://www.statisticbrain.com/xbox-statistics/
    http://www.statisticbrain.com/playstation-statistics/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii

I am losing track of which posts are serious and which are sarcastic here.

I'm sorry, was that statement itself serious or sarcastic?
    Or, perhaps you were aiming for facetious?
    I'm confused, I think I may lie down.
    [sarcasm] Lie down and die, just like Nintendo and their business plan [/sarcasm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'm sorry, but looking at some of these posts I feel I am 8 years old in primary school arguing in the yard debate over snes v megadrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'm sorry, but looking at some of these posts I feel I am 8 years old in primary school arguing in the yard debate over snes v megadrive.

SNES rules.

To be this good takes Odnetnin!

• Advertisement

No debate here.
    One person thinks that Nintendo have been an unmitigated disaster since the SNES, on a slide into irrelevance and that they are out of touch with the gaming public.
    Everyone thinks, and posts, that he/she is wrong.

The Sega Vs Nintendo debate actually didn't evolve at all, the actors just switched to the PS4 vs XB1, and the arguments didn't change either. That particular thread was nuked long ago, and thank the gods for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

While I feel the op may be a bit uneducated in relation to the topic (with quotes like Nintendo have been on a downward slope since the snes) I do think they they don't do themselves any favours at times. And before anyone asks I own most Nintendo consoles but have not bought a Wii u as I can't justify the price of it.

One of my problems with Nintendo would be their pricing policy. Now I have no problem paying full whack for great games such as the zeldas and Mario's but they never, and I mean never seem to bring the price of their products down. It would be nice every now and then to find one of their main games on sale. Mario 64 DS is still 40 quid. It's 10+ years old.

I love Nintendo as much as anyone here but I do feel they could do certain things better at times. One thing I've noticed from my short few years on the boards gaming forum is that people get slaughtered for questioning Nintendo! I do love Nintendo though and without them I would probably have a very different past time other than gaming.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also just buy a WiiU already, it's still a far better Machine than the One and PS4.

I'm sorry, but how?

da gamer wrote: »
    It would be nice every now and then to find one of their main games on sale. Mario 64 DS is still 40 quid. It's 10+ years old.

Yeah this bugged me. I wanted my kids to play this game from my childhood, went onto the Nintendo store expecting it to be 20 quid or something as a premium oldie, but when I saw the price I was reminded who I was dealing with. I really like Nintendo's games but a lot of the rest of the company I'd not be very fond of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm sorry, but how?

It's got lots of brilliant exclusives that are worth laying unlike the other two where I can get the same games on my PC, have a better experience and get them cheaper. That will probably change but at the moment the big two have a lot of catching up to do.

Nintendo games being high priced is because they sell over a long period, they're slow burners. Their games hold their price unlike other companies that rely on the first month of sales before heavily discounting their stock. Something like NSMB Wii is still nearly full price but still sells at that price. We all laughed when Reggie said that game would outsell Modern Warfare 2 but in the end that game sold way more copies due to its extended shelf life.

Mario DS 64 at 40 digitally is taking the piss (so much so I can't really believe it) but you are better off getting the much better and cheaper N64 version.

So what your saying is the wii u has a better library, not that it's actually a better system?
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    but in the end that game sold way more copies due to its extended shelf life.

Apart from Nintendo games being good, do you think they have a longer shelf life because top rated games aren't being released as often as other console games like Xbox and ps?

So what your saying is the wii u has a better library, not that it's actually a better system?

Apart from Nintendo games being good, do you think they have a longer shelf life because top rated games aren't being released as often as other console games like Xbox and ps?

But, if you look at the past year and a half of the PS4, XB1 and WiiU you'll find that top rated games are only coming out on the WiiU, and the best of the releases have, so far, also been out on the 360 and PS3, like Wolfenstein: The New Order for example, there seem to be few exceptions, with games that were anticipated as being epic turning out to be damp squips due to releasing before they were even finished, a habit Nintendo seem to have avoided.

Eh, it's the library that makes a good system. A system is nothing without good games. would love to hear what else other than a good library makes a good system that aren't nebulous terms like 'potential'.

Also that isn't why Nintendo games hold value, it's because they sell well and Nintendo creates demand for their games. They have much more respect for their properties than other publishers and don't over produce to appease shareholders. It's just good management. That's not to say Nintendo always get it right, Metroid Other M and Rhythm Paradise had their prices slashed drastically to shift excess units, but overall Nintendo just read the market well and their games hold value after the usual 1 month shelf life of most modern games.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But, if you look at the past year and a half of the PS4, XB1 and WiiU you'll find that top rated games are only coming out on the WiiU, and the best of the releases have, so far, also been out on the 360 and PS3, like Wolfenstein: The New Order for example, there seem to be few exceptions, with games that were anticipated as being epic turning out to be damp squips due to releasing before they were even finished, a habit Nintendo seem to have avoided.

I agree, the new gen has taken off very slowly compared to other generations and there is a lack of top quality games. But retrogamer stated it was a better system, which I don't believe to be the case.

Again what makes the other two better because so far the other two have failed to deliver anything that can match the best games the WiiU has and there's nothing but remasters and launch window mediocrity that will be forgotten in a years time?

• Advertisement

I think the problem here is just one person hearing "best system" and the other saying "best system to buy right now." You both have points but you're not really disagreeing with each other just using different understandings of "best system" which is reasonable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement