Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Does Nintendo Have A Death Wish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The best of stuff on the 3DS doesn't resemble the best if stuff on handsets tbh.
    Monument Valley is gorgeous, utilises the phone screen wonderfully, the use of sound, colour and geometrics is brilliant and, including dlc, costs about a fiver, nothing like it on a Nintendo console of any hue.
    But.
    Its all over in an hour.
    Thankfully I've never met a Ninty game so slight.
    Example is Pullblox, tons to do and not expensive at all, and at no point are you asked to pay for more coins or levels.

On tablets strategy games have worked out better than on handhelds as the touchscreen makes a much better substitute for a mouse than a d-pad does. You can really see it with the quality of the tower defense games available. I think it's very much a genre/mechanic specific thing.

The other problem of course is piracy (esp on Android) is extremely high compared to handhelds, so you're not going to get many companies willing to make a £40 game for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I love arcade racing games and hoped the handset would be a natural fit, guess what, it ain't!
    I hate all that auto accelerate crap tbh and I find them all, without exception, geared towards saving you money to get them on your phone followed by charging you to progress at every hands turn.
    Nothing on handsets is better than Ridge Racer 2 on PSP and the recent Wipeout on Vita tbh.

I really have hated any FPS I've played on tablet. It just feels utterly unnatural. Ditto platformers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

nesf wrote: »
    I really have hated any FPS I've played on tablet. It just feels utterly unnatural. Ditto platformers.

I'm not a big fan of Fps on handhelds either.
    Really anything that requires buttons just sucks on a touchscreen, and this is why you can't replace the handheld market with the handset one and why Nintendo will continue to rule the world as a benevolent dictator.
    <3 I love you Nintendo \{~√~}/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

As someone who generally turns to Amazon.co.uk to buy new releases these days, I find Wii U games to be usually 20%-33% cheaper than X-Box One and PS4 releases
    Dayum wrote: »
    Am I missing something? The Wii U was a joke....

Yes, you are missing out on something, the same thing that posters for pages have been explaining. That just because some bad decisions are made at a companies upper levels, does not make a console or it's games crap. Nintendo have a market they appeal to, the Wii U has a market it appeals to, specific gamers on the Wii U have players who they appeal to.

You posts are essentially:
    "I'm saying something inflammatory and outrageous!!! Read it here!!! I'd be willing to discuss what you think of this repeat myself and not listen to open discussion or counterpoints!!! Also did I mention most of this thread is thinely veiled PC Master Race posturing!!!

I've played Stanley Parable and unlocked all endings, and although it is interesting it is hardly one of the best releases in the last few years.

Interesting does not a good game make, interesting is just interesting, I wish people would stop associating interesting with good
    For the price of one DS game I could buy 10 superior games on Steam sale

"Superior"..... sure
    One Nintendo game versus 10 Steam games/3 or 4 PS4 games? I know what I'd buy.

I'd probably buy the Nintendo game personally. At least you have a decent chance if it's a 1st party release it will be fun, bring enjoyment and work right off the bat once you put the disc in the machine.
    during the sales I picked up Valiant Hearts, OlliOlli, and Transistor all for under €15. I would hardly call that line-up 'the cheapest pieces of crap available on PS4' as you put it.

Those are all cheap indie titles, you can find cheap games on the WiiU too if you wanted. None of those are AAA or 1st party. Hell even Valiant Hearts, which is a game I love, could technically be construed as being an Indie title as it's Ubisofts Montpellier division. Also, you're talking about value, yet you spent €15 on games that any PS Plus owner got for free in the last few months. :P
    The Wii U isn't stranding up.....it's not my opinion, it's a fact. My question stands....why didn't they take advantage?

*Groans* :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

One other thing people forget is that if you want a Nintendo game you can only get it from Nintendo. Plenty of people have tried to copy Nintendo but they have a knack of making games that are distinctly 'Nintendo' that you just can't get anywhere else. It's like the difference between a Pixar animated movie or something from Dreamworks. I see a lot of reviews or comments saying that stuff like Rayman Legends or Guacamelee are like Nintendo produced games but no matter how good they are they don't really hit the highs of the simialr games Nintendo produces. There's just something about their games where they manage to appeal to a wide range of tastes and age groups without feeling designed by commitee.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Isn't a firms goal profit maximisation?

The Wii U isn't stranding up.....it's not my opinion, it's a fact. My question stands....why didn't they take advantage?
    I don't know why you keep choosing to only mention the Wii U. As you titled the thread.

They don't have to outsell the PS4/Xbox One to be profitable.
    Anyway, here's more facts for you.
    e51p9AP.jpg

As you can see, the nintendo total is far higher than either of the other two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They're terrible, I was never able to play fast paced games on my phone or tablet. One thing I do now have is an android Bluetooth controller that my phone clips into to use, it's the same as a 360 controller. Playing games and emulators using that is genuinely impressive and it's the reason I haven't bothered with any handhelds this generation. Playing something like Modern Combat 4 online using it isn't a world apart from playing Call of Duty. For a casual handheld gamer like me it's absolutely perfect, played a few N64 and PS1 games using it as well and it's a good experience.

743335570_270.jpg

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    One other thing people forget is that if you want a Nintendo game you can only get it from Nintendo. Plenty of people have tried to copy Nintendo but they have a knack of making games that are distinctly 'Nintendo' that you just can't get anywhere else. It's like the difference between a Pixar animated movie or something from Dreamworks. I see a lot of reviews or comments saying that stuff like Rayman Legends or Guacamelee are like Nintendo produced games but no matter how good they are they don't really hit the highs of the simialr games Nintendo produces. There's just something about their games where they manage to appeal to a wide range of tastes and age groups without feeling designed by commitee.

Nintendo do seem to hit a sweet spot being being accessible to the casual player and kids and still having a very high skill ceiling for purists. I think other games of similar ilk try to cater more to a specific audience.

They're terrible, I was never able to play fast paced games on my phone or tablet. One thing I do now have is an android Bluetooth controller that my phone clips into to use, it's the same as a 360 controller. Playing games and emulators using that is genuinely impressive and it's the reason I haven't bothered with any handhelds this generation. Playing something like Modern Combat 4 online using it isn't a world apart from playing Call of Duty. For a casual handheld gamer like me it's absolutely perfect, played a few N64 and PS1 games using it as well and it's a good experience.

Yeah, I'd prefer the DS in my bag and save my phone battery to be honest. Depends on lifestyle maybe.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd prefer the DS in my bag and save my phone battery to be honest. Depends on lifestyle maybe.

I have a handset that can run everything and yet it gets used for little more than browsing and the like.
    My handhelds do all the heavy lifting.
    From 3DS to GBA, from PSP to Vita, good times and the phone can sit there.
    At the moment I've been occupying my time with the magnificent Majora's Mask, Wario Ware Inc, Outrun 2006 and TxK which are all stunning on their respected consoles and better than pretty much everything a phone can run.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I have a Wii-U and I love it. It's a unique experience and I felt I was missing a lot from the gaming world by not owning one.

Nintendo are fantastic, but there's a lot of things they just don't do as well as others, just as the same is true of their competitors, vice versa.

It's missing anything as tormented and visceral as the Souls series. I'm not into driving sims, but I know the Wii-U isn't the place to go for a Forza or Driveclub (and I think Mario Kart is infinitely more enjoyable than a driving sim).

Some would consider CoD and FIFA games to be brainless remakes of themselves, but there's a market for them. If Nintendo could/wanted to, keep up with hosting those titles as well as PlayStation and Xbox have, while retaining their output of high quality of Nintendo games, maybe the Wii-U would be thriving and bit more.

I think theres as much ignorance directed towards Nintendo as their is snobbery reciprocated from their die-hard fans.

I would say the snobbery suggestion concerning Nintendo fans attitudes towards those who disagree would hold more water if only that most WiiU owners also own other consoles, such as PS4 and both of the last gen in my case.
    I would suggest a player of games who only samples what Nintendo have to offer is not only rare but just as deluded as those who preach against Nintendo's unique content hosted on their formats
    Its a wide wide world of games consoles, they all have something unique and worthwhile to offer.
    Except the CDi, that has something unique and worthless to offer, and several of them as well, I pity those owners most of all.....

I think this thread idea is dumb.

It's like talking about a prog rock band who make a killing on live shows and DVDs from loyal fans, but don't kill it in the pop charts.

But I also dont like what I perceive to be bad points about PS4 and Xbox here. I guess I can't pick and choose the good times on a bad thread.

Good point.
    There is still room for a company to make products even if they are finding a niche market.
    Doesn't mean it was always a niche market, nor does it mean it will always be one either, but for now only a certain appreciative audience are tuned in, and that's OK.
    Still money being made, and Nintendo are still being successful.

There's room for everything, even in this cutthroat market. I used to find the vgchartz interesting, but now all I wanna know is which platform has what game for me this week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well what do y'know: Nintendo have announced plans for smartphone games (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-17-nintendo-to-release-games-on-smart-devices), as well as a new piece of hardware to be revealed next year, codenamed NX. The veterans can still surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I would definitely buy a Wii U if I had the money and time to play it. Might get one at some point in the future, there's a pretty amazing lineup of games on it and with Xenoblade and Zelda coming out this year it's getting better.

You can pick it up for 200 now, in Argos.
    So cost is not an issue, finding time to play though, that's a tricky one alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

M!Ck^ wrote: »

But they haven't said it will be unveiled next year, only that more details will come next year.
    NX could be years off yet.
    Wii was out 6 years before WiiU came out.
    GameCube was out 6 years before Wii came out.
    Wii u is out 3 years as it is and I'd say NX is at least 2 years off as all we have is a name.
    I don't think they are doing a Sega.

• OwaynOTT wrote: »
    But they haven't said it will be unveiled next year, only that more details will come next year.
    NX could be years off yet.
    Wii was out 6 years before WiiU came out.
    GameCube was out 6 years before Wii came out.
    Wii u is out 3 years as it is and I'd say NX is at least 2 years off as all we have is a name.
    I don't think they are doing a Sega.

Love your optimism. Let's hope your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Nintendo do seem to hit a sweet spot being being accessible to the casual player and kids and still having a very high skill ceiling for purists. I think other games of similar ilk try to cater more to a specific audience.

'Serious gamers' laugh at Nintendo. Nintendo laughs at 'Serious gamers' because games are supposed to be fun, not serious

Akrasia wrote: »
    'Serious gamers' laugh at Nintendo. Nintendo laughs at 'Serious gamers' because games are supposed to be fun, not serious

I don't know, the speed runners into Nintendo games scare me with their level of dedication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I wish Nintendo would compete with other two, they're the only company with actually iconic characters and every console they make that doesn't have the next gen GTA or Final Fantasy, COD on it, is like leaving refusing to use a nuke out of high minded ideals.

Build a real FCUKING traditional console with controllers ala The Gamecube that focuses on split screen and has all the innovation of N (which it doesn't have the monopoly on it that attribute) Make it powerful, give developers the option, even buy a few of them out, lord knows they sit on enough of their cash.

Every generation they repeat the same damn thing of leaving money on the table and if they had done more of the above they'd have conquered the west. The best thing Nintendo could do right now would be surprisingly not be innovative ironically.

They Gamecube didn't even have the GTA trilogy, could you imagine if they had tried?

Most people will not buy 2 consoles.

Nintendo are like certain Gaeilgoiri that have to be reminded that its ok, even beneficial to leave the area to speak some English occasionally

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Adamantium wrote: »
    I wish Nintendo would compete with other two, they're the only company with actually iconic characters and every console they make that doesn't have the next gen GTA or Final Fantasy, COD on it, is like leaving refusing to use a nuke out of high minded ideals.

Build a real FCUKING traditional console with controllers ala The Gamecube that focuses on split screen and has all the innovation of N (which it doesn't have the monopoly on it that attribute) Make it powerful, give developers the option, even buy a few of them out, lord knows they sit on enough of their cash.

Every generation they repeat the same damn thing of leaving money on the table and if they had done more of the above they'd have conquered the west. The best thing Nintendo could do right now would be surprisingly not be innovative ironically.

They Gamecube didn't even have the GTA trilogy, could you imagine if they had tried?

Most people will not buy 2 consoles.

Nintendo are like certain Gaeilgoiri that have to be reminded that its ok, even beneficial to leave the area to speak some English occasionally

Ye they build a PC and have the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You can pick it up for 200 now, in Argos.
    So cost is not an issue, finding time to play though, that's a tricky one alright.

That's just for the standard 8gb model with no games. If you want the larger model with a game it's 320

• Registered Users Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

da gamer wrote: »
    That's just for the standard 8gb model with no games. If you want the larger model with a game it's 320

Pretty sure that can be gotten cheaper than 320, I'm sure I've seen it on amazon lately for cheaper than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Pretty sure that can be gotten cheaper than 320, I'm sure I've seen it on amazon lately for cheaper than that.

It's 230 pounds on amazon, works out close to €320. €317 to be exact

• Advertisement

da gamer wrote: »

For another fiver you get New Super Mario Bros U and the 8gb of easily supplemented with a cheap external HDD.

The NX announcement is lovely but hardly a surprise, but new hardware is at least 2 years off, with Zelda and Metroid yet to appear on the WiiU.

I can see why don't people might not but a WiiU now, but it still has the superior range of titles being the PS4 and XBOne.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement