Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Does Nintendo Have A Death Wish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The NX announcement is lovely but hardly a surprise, but new hardware is at least 2 years off, with Zelda and Metroid yet to appear on the WiiU.

I can't see why people are jumping all over the announcement they made about working on their next console, they're ALWAYS working on the next console, as soon as one is in production, they're working on developing the next one! Yet the acknowledgement that they're working on it (to allay fears that they're going mobile/software only) is apparently now a sign that they've given up on the Wii U etc...

I don't know if we'll get a Metroid game on the Wii U, but we can hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'd say the Metroid box has been ticked with the re-releases of Trilogy and Zero Mission. We still have Starfox to come though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Just someones opinion as opposed to a statement of fact from Nintendo. Do Sony and Microsoft admit defeat every time they announce a new system ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Adamantium wrote: »
    I wish Nintendo would compete with other two, they're the only company with actually iconic characters and every console they make that doesn't have the next gen GTA or Final Fantasy, COD on it, is like leaving refusing to use a nuke out of high minded ideals.

Build a real FCUKING traditional console with controllers ala The Gamecube that focuses on split screen and has all the innovation of N (which it doesn't have the monopoly on it that attribute) Make it powerful, give developers the option, even buy a few of them out, lord knows they sit on enough of their cash.

Every generation they repeat the same damn thing of leaving money on the table and if they had done more of the above they'd have conquered the west. The best thing Nintendo could do right now would be surprisingly not be innovative ironically.

They Gamecube didn't even have the GTA trilogy, could you imagine if they had tried?

Most people will not buy 2 consoles.

Nintendo are like certain Gaeilgoiri that have to be reminded that its ok, even beneficial to leave the area to speak some English occasionally

But if they have the great games, why the need for the extra horsepower ? What do the One and PS4 have that are essential to have on a Nintendo system ? I'm not a Nintendo fan boy, I've had pretty much all mainstream consoles in the house from the days of Atari, apart from a Playstation 2 or 3, and didn't bother with the Xbox One, but still get more enjoyment with games on the Nintendo platforms.

It's horses for courses for me, GTA games are great fund for an hour or two, then get pretty boring imo. With the last GTA on the 360 I could only spend so long playing it before I never went back to it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I'd say the Metroid box has been ticked with the re-releases of Trilogy and Zero Mission. We still have Starfox to come though.
    Retro Studios are still working on an unannounced title. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

gizmo wrote: »
    Retro Studios are still working on an unannounced title. :)

Well that's good news. I wasn't aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What do the One and PS4 have that are essential to have on a Nintendo system ?

Well I know I'll want a PS4 when it comes around to Arkham Knight and No Man's Sky, but at present, there's nothing on the PS4 to entice me to be honest.

My PC probably wouldn't be able to run AK as well as a PS4, but No Man's Sky would probably be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Star Lord wrote: »
    I can't see why people are jumping all over the announcement they made about working on their next console, they're ALWAYS working on the next console, as soon as one is in production, they're working on developing the next one! Yet the acknowledgement that they're working on it (to allay fears that they're going mobile/software only) is apparently now a sign that they've given up on the Wii U etc...

I don't know if we'll get a Metroid game on the Wii U, but we can hope!

Of course they're always working on developing new ideas for Hardware because they've been essentially a hardware producing company. It's a bit like Apple not working on the next concept of the iPhone or Lidl on their next horse meat Lasagna.

The problem is that talk of a next console are out in the open. It's set for an E3 2016 presentation and it wouldn't be entirely out of the question to see it on store shelves at Christmas 2016. According to Eurogamer and IGN with their comfort in discussing these issues they've essentially accepted defeat with the Wii U. It's lost them money. How many people will be rushing out now to buy Wii U's that this news has been announced?

Look, I don't hate Nintendo. If they had brought out a powerful piece of kit back in 2012 I would of most likely picked one up. I'm primarily a PC player and I don't own a console anymore but the one exception I would make would be for Nintendo if they take their head out of their arse and come back down to reality. I want to play Super Mario 3D World, Smash Bros., Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong with my mates and we're grown men for crying out loud but this Wii U stuff has got to stop. Charging upwards of 300 Euro for a console that's three years old now when anyone can walk into a store and buy a XBO or PS4 for cheaper is sheer madness.

With the news of them dipping their toe into mobile devices their shares skyrocketed. This is consumers telling them what they want from them. Nintendo can do very well in the mobile scene and if they do bring their IP's to phones then I think they'll do very well indeed. Maybe that is Nintendo's future because what they're doing now just isn't working. They either leave Sony and Microsoft to take lumps out of each other or announce themselves with a powerful fuck off machine at E3 next year and take the fight to the others. Start reaching out to third party dev's, give indie's a reason to make Nintendo's system their home and stop being so anti-consumer to the point that your business strategy is in the crapper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dayum wrote: »
    Charging upwards of 300 Euro for a console that's three years old now when anyone can walk into a store and buy a XBO or PS4 for cheaper is sheer madness.

The facts don't lie. Except for when the fact is a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Where can you get an XBO or PS4 for under €300? Its already been stated that the WiiU doesn't cost that much anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

I get what the OP is saying.

When I start up my Wii U and play Mario Kart, Mario 3D World, Zelda etc a little nagging voice inside my head is saying that I am not enjoying this experience as it is running on outdated technology with suboptimal graphic noodlebums and aunty alienising curtains which should have been drawn 18 months ago.

I then think that I am not a smart person. Why can't Nintendo just play the game with the same rules as everybody else....?

Sad face 😡

• ThisRegard wrote: »
    Just someones opinion as opposed to a statement of fact from Nintendo. Do Sony and Microsoft admit defeat every time they announce a new system ?

That's why I said IMO also. I believe it's not a good thing and I agree with what I read in the article as it shares the same opinion I hold.
    I'm not sure point you are trying to make.
    Who mentioned anything about statement of fact?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The PS4 is supposed to be in for the long haul, it'll probably be Sony's lead console for another 5 years at least.
    In fact I'd say most people who will own a PS4 have yet to buy one.
    And this may be to the NX's advantage.
    I'd say the late 2016 release is accurate and dev kits will have to arise in the next 12 months.
    We could be looking at a lot more information and an idea of the power of the console by then.
    And, though the WiiU makes it plain that Nintendo can make the best games of this generation so far with last gen tech, it would be foolhardy for Nintendo to try that low power/high concept console again.
    I'd say we will see something to outpace the current console crop from Sony and MS, with the option of gimmick it up with the 3DS replacement allowing backward compatibility with WiiU titles.

Guesses, guesses, we have 18 months of them to look forward to.

One thing the announcement makes clear, Nintendo don't have a deathwish.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

For another fiver you get New Super Mario Bros U and the 8gb of easily supplemented with a cheap external HDD

There seems to be a common theme here though ciderman. Every time somebody points at the cost of Nintendo products here the answer is to either buy the games second hand on eBay, get a better paying job, or now as you point out, go spend more money on an external hard drive. These aren't valid arguments. The simple fact is that Nintendo products are too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I've never seen a gen that's so been still birth. Even last gen both games, had insane "huge leap forward" games out in the first year or so, 2006/2007, or just plain old fun

Its been 1 and 1/2 years now.
    Early 2007, we had Oblivion.
    By autumn 2007, we had COD 4 which was like a nuke sized attention grabber.

I agree it's Nintendo oppurtunity to lose at this moment. They could make a huge grab before PS4 do eventually start selling big.

Launching a Playstation without Wipeout (RIP) or Ridge Racer (might as well be RIP) is mind boggling. Something replayable as hell is needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think Bloodborne is supposed to be the first really must have exclusive on the PS4, and even then the level of difficulty hardly makes it accessible to most, tougher than Dark Souls 2 apparently.
    Still want it though

Adamantium wrote: »
    I've never seen a gen that's so been still birth. Even last gen both games, had insane "huge leap forward" games out in the first year or so, 2006/2007, or just plain old fun

Its been 1 and 1/2 years now.
    Early 2007, we had Oblivion.
    By autumn 2007, we had COD 4 which was like a nuke sized attention grabber.

I agree it's Nintendo oppurtunity to lose at this moment. They could make a huge grab before PS4 do eventually start selling big.

Launching a Playstation without Wipeout (RIP) or Ridge Racer (might as well be RIP) is mind boggling. Something replayable as hell is needed.

It's definitely been the slowest start of a gen that I can remember. I think they just released the ps4 and xbone a year or so too early. The Xbox 360 and ps3 had another year or so left in them. I still don't think it's been as bad as some are making it out to be though, been some really good games released on the ps4 just not a steady stream of them as of yet.

da gamer wrote: »
    There seems to be a common theme here though ciderman. Every time somebody points at the cost of Nintendo products here the answer is to either buy the games second hand on eBay, get a better paying job, or now as you point out, go spend more money on an external hard drive. These aren't valid arguments. The simple fact is that Nintendo products are too expensive.
    You an buy the games online for less than you pay in a bricks and mortar, not just for Nintendo but all formats.
    The older games that were mentioned, Mario 64 on the DS isn't available new, at least in physical form anywhere, so it must be preowned or the high price on eshop.
    Plenty of cheaper model consoles have required supplementing as well, Nintendo didn't invent that, the 360 and PS3 both had poverty models with tiny on board memory.
    Aside from that, it's simply that Nintendo don't do yearly updates to their franchises, nor do they have the same few publishers releasing competing games, like Activision with CoD and EA with Battlefield and MoH.
    This dives the price down

• Registered Users Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sometimes who just have to pay for quality.

I'd rather pay €45 for a good game than €15-20 for crap that delivers hollow satisfaction that quickly fades.

Having said that, I've gotten most of my nintendo stuff for reasonable prices.
    Kirby Triple Deluxe €26
    Fantasy Life €26
    Link Between Worlds €30
    Pandora Tower €10
    Yoshi 3DS. XL €160 (albeit with no vat still cheap with it)
    Wii U with like fours games - quality ones that have gotten many hours of play €350

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

You an buy the games online for less than you pay in a bricks and mortar, not just for Nintendo but all formats.
    The older games that were mentioned, Mario 64 on the DS isn't available new, at least in physical form anywhere, so it must be preowned or the high price on eshop.
    There are no retail DS games on the eshop. The only way to buy them is to get the physical cart.
    Aside from that, it's simply that Nintendo don't do yearly updates to their franchises, nor do they have the same few publishers releasing competing games, like Activision with CoD and EA with Battlefield and MoH.
    This dives the price down
    To add to this, Nintendo always think of their games as having sales for the lifetime of the console. The games are not just about the sales in the first couple of months and they continue to promote older games for their systems. It's why they only do one Mario Kart, Smash, NSMB etc per console, they believe that they can continue selling these games for a long time and continue using them as selling points for their hardware. Remember the 3DS adverts that keep mentioning Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7? These were shown a long time after the games came out.

NSMB Wii is a very good example. It came out (2009) around the same time as Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. Reggie from Nintendo America said NSMB Wii would outself CoD and lots of people laughed and made remarks on forums. CoD sold more in 2009 but over their lifetimes, NSMB Wii sold over twice as many copies worldwide.

• Advertisement

I seen Mario 64 ds for sale new about a month ago in my local gamestop. It was €40.

I agree with what your saying about yearly updates though, but if Nintendo made a machine capable of playing the ea, ubisoft and activision games then they wouldn't have to rely so heavily on sales of remakes of 15+ year old games. I can't understand why they can't make a powerful machine that can cater for the cod and fifa lovers, yet still make their Mario's and zeldas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I seen Mario 64 ds for sale new about a month ago in my local gamestop. It was €40.

I agree with what your saying about yearly updates though, but if Nintendo made a machine capable of playing the ea, ubisoft and activision games then they wouldn't have to rely so heavily on sales of remakes of 15+ year old games. I can't understand why they can't make a powerful machine that can cater for the cod and fifa lovers, yet still make their Mario's and zeldas.

Ah stop that's gamestop mad prices. It €75 for watch dogs on the wii u with them.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Ah stop that's gamestop mad prices. It €75 for watch dogs on the wii u with them.

Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo DS) by Nintendo http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0006B0O9U/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_kF4cvb1RAN67C

That's amazon. They generally don't have 'mad' prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo DS) by Nintendo http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0006B0O9U/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_kF4cvb1RAN67C

That's amazon. They generally don't have 'mad' prices.

Do you ever take into account that retailers set prices for the games too? It's one of the greatest games of all time released on handheld. I'd never expect it to be a 'bargain' price anywhere.

Not every game will be a 'bargain bin' €5 Modern Warfare 2 eventually.

Sadly it's also a very disappointing port of Mario 64.
    But bizarre it's still costing so much.
    Retailers set the price based on demand so I guess Nintendo have nothing to do with it.
    I'd be surprised and impressed if this was a recently pressed game from Nintendo and not some unsold stock that they think they can sell at a premium as it is still sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Just been reading up on this "new Nintendo console."

My two cents...

There's still 2 to 3 years let in the wii u.

As someone already mentioned console makers are always working on the next console.

There's loads of big titles yet to come Zelda, X, Starfox, etc..

It's been a very poor console by nintendos high standards due to piss poor marketing but it's not going to be dropped.

I stuck on Mariokart last night again. Such pure racing fun.

I'm going to get stuck into Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze this weekend if I get a chance.

Then Bayonetta 2 at some point if I can find the time.

Its a shame the console has been marketed sooooo badly as it really does have the best games of its generation.

Only thing I'm playing on my PS4 is destiny which I could have played on my 360 really.
    Admittedly I've put way more hours into it than any game on my wii u but that's more because of the community on boards than the game being being amazing.

Anyway long live wii u.

Just been reading up on this "new Nintendo console."

My two cents...

There's still 2 to 3 years let in the wii u.

As someone already mentioned console makers are always working on the next console.

There's loads of big titles yet to come Zelda, X, Starfox, etc..

It's been a very poor console by nintendos high standards due to piss poor marketing but it's not going to be dropped.

I stuck on Mariokart last night again. Such pure racing fun.

I'm going to get stuck into Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze this weekend if I get a chance.

Then Bayonetta 2 at some point if I can find the time.

Its a shame the console has been marketed sooooo badly as it really does have the best games of its generation.

Only thing I'm playing on my PS4 is destiny which I could have played on my 360 really.
    Admittedly I've put way more hours into it than any game on my wii u but that's more because of the community on boards than the game being being amazing.

Anyway long live wii u.

The Wii U is a dud. It hasn't even touched GameCube numbers and that is considered one of their low points. It's costing them a huge amount of money and they want to ditch it but they know they can't because the consumers will be even more pissed.

What makes anyone think Nintendo will turn it around? Not for the Wii U, but for the entire company? Their shares dropped 12% yesterday upon the news that they will not be porting their library over to mobile devices. They're so stubborn, it's incredible. Let me get this straight....
    There is so much pirating of Nintendo products today on PC and android and instead of cutting off these people by releasing Nintendo games on phones, they actually ignore them and that revenue by making entirely new games that no one wants like, say, Dr. Luigi's Candy Crush? Donkey Kong Clash of Clans?

I've no MBA but still I can see what the problem is here - supply and demand.

The Mario brand no longer has pull and can't be relied upon to shift Nintendo hardware. It didn't sell Wii U's and it won't sell whatever they're planning next. They need third party developers and publishers on board to justify your average consumer going out and putting down upwards of 300 quid for a console. Even if it's more a powerful piece of kit, they'll need some pulling power - and it's not Mario or Zelda. Why would third party firms start developing for NX when there's already 20 million PS4's in the world? Or the million's of XBO's? Not to mention PC? Or the new Steam Machines? Nintendo have historically been incredibly poor at attracting third party firms....what is going to change? What can possibly sell the NX? Because it's not Nintendo IP's.

Nintendo's IP's were a unique selling point in the past. They did the best 2D platformers across earlier gens but with the rise of Indie games now Nintendo are not the one's innovating - it's these indie games. In fast, anything Mario has to offer, it's done bigger and better on PC these days. Games like Fez, Mark of the Ninja, Splunky, Braid, Shovel Knight, Trine, Terraria, Thomas Was Alone, The Swapper, Ori & The Blind Forest, Seasons After Fall are all far better experiences than what Nintendo can muster up and none of those indie titles are demanding that you purchase upwards of 300 quid for a machine just so you can buy their 40+ Euro games. In fact, most of the games I've mentioned can be bought on Steam for as little as 5 euro.

I really think Nintendo need a long look in the mirror. Because they can't afford another Wii U. And if this company is anything to go by, let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again such is it's incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

make-it-stop-o.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

OP, were you molested by a SNES when you were younger? I'm just trying to figure out what has made you so hostile and irrational…

• Advertisement

OP, were you molested by a SNES when you were younger? I'm just trying to figure out what has made you so hostile and irrational…

I'm not hostile or irrational towards the company. I owned a NES, SNES, N64, GC, GB etc....

I just can't understand why they're not calling it a day and accepting that they cannot compete anymore. They're losing money hand over fist because they refuse to leave the ring despite being thrown around consistently...is it pride? What is it?

They should just concentrate on mobile devices. Port their entire library over to phones - everything apart from the Wii U games. Support the console for a year or so and then focus on android etc. Hell, after the two years they could throw their entire Wii U library up on Steam. They'd be minted. I'm talking about money here and Nintendo are a money making business. They'll do whats best for the company but the only question is....will it be too late?

They can keep their libraries exclusive to mobile and PC if they don't want to see Mario on Sony or Microsoft machines. But something needs to be done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement