Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Does Nintendo Have A Death Wish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Dayum wrote: »
    I'm not hostile or irrational towards the company. I owned a NES, SNES, N64, GC, GB etc....

I just can't understand why they're not calling it a day and accepting that they cannot compete anymore. They're losing money hand over fist because they refuse to leave the ring despite being thrown around consistently...is it pride? What is it?

They should just concentrate on mobile devices. Port their entire library over to phones - everything apart from the Wii U games. Support the console for a year or so and then focus on android etc. Hell, after the two years they could throw their entire Wii U library up on Steam. They'd be minted. I'm talking about money here and Nintendo are a money making business. They'll do whats best for the company but the only question is....will it be too late?

They can keep their libraries exclusive to mobile and PC if they don't want to see Mario on Sony or Microsoft machines. But something needs to be done.

And those are the FACTS people! Deal with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Cormac... wrote: »
    And those are the FACTS people! Deal with it!
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/08/11/why-its-perfectly-fine-if-microsoft-has-lost-400m-on-xbox-one/

Xbox division reported a $400million loss last year.

PACK IT UP, MICROSOFT!!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'm not hostile or irrational towards the company. I owned a NES, SNES, N64, GC, GB etc....

I just can't understand why they're not calling it a day and accepting that they cannot compete anymore. They're losing money hand over fist because they refuse to leave the ring despite being thrown around consistently...is it pride? What is it?

They should just concentrate on mobile devices. Port their entire library over to phones - everything apart from the Wii U games. Support the console for a year or so and then focus on android etc. Hell, after the two years they could throw their entire Wii U library up on Steam. They'd be minted. I'm talking about money here and Nintendo are a money making business. They'll do whats best for the company but the only question is....will it be too late?

They can keep their libraries exclusive to mobile and PC if they don't want to see Mario on Sony or Microsoft machines. But something needs to be done.

Should Sony throw in the towel because the Vita wasn't a success? You seem a tad hysterical, fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Should Sony throw in the towel because the Vita wasn't a success? You seem a tad hysterical, fella.

But Sony has thrown in the towel on handheld devices.

You stick to what you're good at. Otherwise you lose money. And Nintendo are not good at producing home hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I want to play Super Mario 3D World, Smash Bros., Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong with my mates and we're grown men for crying out loud but this Wii U stuff has got to stop.

I don't understand this bit ?
    The Mario brand no longer has pull and can't be relied upon to shift Nintendo hardware. It didn't sell Wii U's and it won't sell whatever they're planning next.

Well that's wrong, a simple search will show you that sales jumped for Mario World, Mario Kart and Smash brothers (I know not an entirely Mario game).
    Port their entire library over to phones - everything apart from the Wii U games. Support the console for a year or so and then focus on android etc.

A horrific and unworkable idea. Not only will the games play ****, people don't spend more than a few euro, if at all, on games to play on their phones or tablets.
    Nintendo are not good at producing home hardware.

And that statement sums up why your other points shouldn't really be taken too seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You stick to what you're good at. Otherwise you lose money. And Nintendo are not good at producing home hardware.

They're good at making a profit and that's all that matters. One financially poor year and suddenly the bedroom market analysts are saying Nintendo are doomed. But lets just ignore the fact that they have returned to profitability and have been extremely proactive in implementing new ranges and exploring new markets. Also going third party is a terrible move for Nintendo. Once they go third party they lose control of their host platforms and any profitability they can garner from them and also licensing fees and other requirements imposed on Nintendo will eat into their profits. Staying in the hardware market is the smart move for Nintendo.

Next time do some research instead of repeating the inane rants of ignorant youtube warriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Corholio wrote: »
    Do you ever take into account that retailers set prices for the games too? It's one of the greatest games of all time released on handheld. I'd never expect it to be a 'bargain' price anywhere.

Not every game will be a 'bargain bin' €5 Modern Warfare 2 eventually.

So you never expect some of the greatest games ever to drop in price? Ever?
    Anyway the only reason I highlighted this on amazon and gamestop is because somebody claimed the game isn't for sale anymore. It clearly is.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Retailers set the price based on demand so I guess Nintendo have nothing to do with it.
    I'd be surprised and impressed if this was a recently pressed game from Nintendo and not some unsold stock that they think they can sell at a premium as it is still sealed.

I was only talking to a member of gamestop staff about this the other day. He claims Nintendo do set the price to the retailer. Of course this could be just gamestop justifying their own crazy prices but it seems every retailer around and online sell Nintendo products for high prices

*disclaimer- the views and opinions of dayum do not necessarily represent the views of other boards.ie members.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Death Wish? Nintendo are the only console developer that has been consistently profitable and have been around 125 years and have just suffered one loss since they entered the console market and that was due to the weak Yen.

The only death wish they have is the naming of their consoles these days, people think that the Wii U is some sort of Wii add on and do not get me started about the DS's.

Regardless of Nintendo's sales compared to other consoles over the years they have always managed to make a profit, hell the Xbox sold far more units than the Gamecube and it still ended up costing Microsoft about 4 Billion Dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

da gamer wrote: »
    I was only talking to a member of gamestop staff about this the other day. He claims Nintendo do set the price to the retailer. Of course this could be just gamestop justifying their own crazy prices but it seems every retailer around and online sell Nintendo products for high prices

They don't. They got charged with price fixing years ago, so would be very foolish to do it again. They don't even set a RRP for their hardware in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Xenji wrote: »
    Regardless of Nintendo's sales compared to other consoles over the years they have always managed to make a profit, hell the Xbox sold far more units than the Gamecube and it still ended up costing Microsoft about 4 Billion Dollars.

I wouldn't say far more sales, it was around 3 million more Xboxs sold than Gamecubes in the end. It cost Microsoft so much as they just wanted to get their foot in the door console wise and had a terrible licensing deal with Nvidia.

*disclaimer- the views and opinions of dayum do not necessarily represent the views of other boards.ie members.

Nintendo games usually hold a high price due to region locking and short production runs of games, the likes of Xenoblade and Clock Tower will always set you back around 60 plus Euro, on the other hand the consoles can always be found at very reasonable prices online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Got to be careful.
    Don't want to be lumped in with everyone with an alternate point to make.
    There is a peculiarity with Nintendo game prices, though it is a tad selective, aside from Mario 64 the other first party DS and 3DS titles have been steadily dropping in price.
    But price isn't a reason to have issue with the company or claim they are doomed.
    Of the past four consoles the company have released, the DS, 3DS, Wii and WiiU only one has failed to light up in terms of sales, the other have been staggering.
    Now that's an objective fact.
    Profits from the successful enterprises fund the risk taking on high concept devices like the WiiU, and Nintendo have always been innovative, and the entire industry is better for it.

Dayum, your doomsaying is a crock, and your arguments just out to generate attention.
    Why not pack it in or are you happy to just to post more vexatious comments in the hope of believing you are in the limelight?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyway the only reason I highlighted this on amazon and gamestop is because somebody claimed the game isn't for sale anymore. It clearly is.

Out of print does not equate not on sale anymore and usually popular out of print games fetch high prices. You just missed the boat is all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

funnily enough, dons armchair analysts cap, Nintendo are the only console manufacturer I fully expect to still exist in the next couple of decades, big maybes over the other two though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I really don't understand why Mario 64 DS is being sold at a high-ish price by anyone, it's a terrible port. Granted, it showed what the DS could do, but it's awful to play.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Out of print does not equate not on sale anymore and usually popular out of print games fetch high prices. You just missed the boat is all.

How did I miss the boat?

How did I miss the boat?

By not having a good enough job to buy the games you want. Serf…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Given we're all in agreement the Wii U costs upwards of €300, it's important to address the elephant in the room. A top of the range gaming PC costs upwards of €4,000-5,000 dependent on how many Titans you want to throw in there (at least two). I feel this is an outrageous situation.

I have chosen to ignore that there are significantly cheaper yet beyond serviceable alternatives, because frankly it would undermine the entire point I'm trying to make, which is pretty unclear anyway. Therefore I would please ask everybody to ignore this paragraph.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There is a peculiarity with Nintendo game prices, though it is a tad selective, aside from Mario 64 the other first party DS and 3DS titles have been steadily dropping in price.
    But price isn't a reason to have issue with the company or claim they are doomed.

Where can I find these games that are dropping in price?
    Also I never claimed Nintendo were doomed. Far from it. I just think they aren't maximizing their potential. And I feel they are greedy in their pricing policy.

• Advertisement

By not having a good enough job to buy the games you want. Serf…

Seemingly so. What a ridiculous argument.

Given we're all in agreement the Wii U costs upwards of €300, it's important to address the elephant in the room. A top of the range gaming PC costs upwards of €4,000-5,000 dependent on how many Titans you want to throw in there (at least two). I feel this is an outrageous situation.

I have chosen to ignore that there are significantly cheaper yet beyond serviceable alternatives, because frankly it would undermine the entire point I'm trying to make, which is pretty unclear anyway. Therefore I would please ask everybody to ignore this paragraph.

A friend of mine built his PC around the same time as me (nothing special but well above consoles) for reasonable money back in 2011. That's two and a half years before PS4/XBO debuted and it still runs anything you throw at it to this day. It's also primarily a media centre running XBMC and streams movies, TV shows and emulates anything from earlier consoles. Steam has 00000's of games for buttons.

So tell me what exactly the Wii U does that warrants those kinds of prices? It's 2015 and they still don't know what the internet is. Is it Nintendo's IP's? Because I've already discussed this in an earlier post whereby other games, most of them entirely free, do things better and cheaper than Mario ever did.

Is it that Nintendo Wii U owners are not accepting of just how stung they were and are trying to justify the exorbitant prices they've paid for what is essentially a complete shambles for Nintendo?

And while we're on the subject. I made up some flat pack furniture 4 weeks ago, put some books on it I did, shelf was about €35.
    Funny thing is about 4 years ago I bought another set of shelves from Argos, again packed-flatly, now this one is slightly different and it's bigger too and it cost about €50. Weird thing is there is books on that shelf too and they are still there.

The fact is that PCs have tanked. These are facts. I think all people making games for PCs should stop doing that altogether and make games for Android iPhones. It's all about the bottom line. Now I'm not an MBA but I think it's pretty clear that share prices may rise and fall, terms and conditions apply, this is regulated and underwritten by the Central Bank of Ireland. If PC company people cared about profit and loss accounts they'd stop balance sheets and pull their fingers out but let's face it that boat has sailed already. It's crazy!!!

Not sure how you can say people have been stung by the Wii U, it is a great little console with some fantastic exclusives, plus it can be easily picked up new for 180-220 Euro if you shop around online.

Xenji wrote: »
    Not sure how you can say people have been stung by the Wii U, it is a great little console with some fantastic exclusives, plus it can be easily picked up new for 180-220 Euro if you shop around online.

But.......why though? Why would anyone pay 220 Euro (optimistic figure by any stretch nevermind Postage and packaging) to buy Mario Kart for 60 Euro? Why? ......why would anyone do that?

But.......why though? Why would anyone pay 220 Euro to buy Mario Kart for 60 Euro? Why? ......why would anyone do that?

Maybe they were not abused by somebody dressed as Wario in the early 90's, otherwise who knows, maybe as it is a great game, plus it only cost me 35 Euro :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

But.......why though? Why would anyone pay 220 Euro to buy Mario Kart for 60 Euro? Why? ......why would anyone do that?

BECAUSE IT'S FUN!

oh christ. Most people who bought Mario Kart for around €40/50 got a free game worth upto the same like Zelda Windwalker or Monster Hunter U. Bad Nintendo!

Seriously, this is getting boring now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

For all the people who talk about the first Wii being such a runaway success, I'd just like to throw out an opinion:

It sold sht-tons. That's not even slightly in dispute. How many of them were doing anything other than gathering dust after 12 months? Literally every single person I know who bought one had it left gathering dust after this length of time. Maybe you'd dig it out for some bowling or golf, but that'd be it.

This brings me to a feeling of "once bitten, twice shy" for a lot of those people who were the market Nintendo said they wanted to capture with the Wii - they wanted it to be people's "second" console.

There were also a lot of, what we might once have somewhat disparagingly called "casuals" who bought it. I know several ladies, for example who wouldn't ever have felt any desire to play games who bought one cause of Wii Fitness as they thought they could gym bunny it up at home and the price was attractive enough to give it a go. Again, almost all of these that I know of personally gathered dust within 6 to 12 months and very few of them did anything more than Wii Fitness and never bought another game.

So to consider the Wii a success is, in my humble opinion, only half the truth. Sure it sold tons, but certainly anecdotal evidence suggests that did not result in tons of games sales and hours played.

• Advertisement

But.......why though? Why would anyone pay 220 Euro (optimistic figure by any stretch nevermind Postage and packaging) to buy Mario Kart for 60 Euro? Why? ......why would anyone do that?

Why do you bascially keep coming on these forums with extremely thinly veiled PC Master Race rubbish posts and threads.... Now THAT's the real question people want to see answered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement