Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Grain Beer

Options
  • 11-03-2015 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Did an all grain ale at the end of January opened my first bottle today and i can safely say i will never brew a beer kit again. The difference in taste is unbelievable. Does everybody feel this way or can u get the same result from kits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Welcome to the obsession :D

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

I've yet to do an all grain but I got that from extract brewing. never really enjoyed the kits and I was about to give up on homebrewing before giving extract a go with a stock pot on a hob. Way way better than kits. In fact I've always wondered if kits didn't exist would more people be into homebrew, the amount of people that give kits a go then give up.

I'm going to get a biab kit later in the year but I don't know if all grain will be worth the extra effort of doing it for every brew. Is there anyone here that does both? Is there much of a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

I had read so many bad things about kit brews I didn't even try them. First home brew I did was all grain biab and was about a year and a half ago.
    I've made alot of mistakes but haven't made anything worse than what's available in my local.
    I'm going to up grade soon 3 kettle all grain system I'm building myself
    . I love imperial style beers so biab is not ideal but I think it's the best way to start homebrewing .

finatron wrote: »
    I had read so many bad things about kit brews I didn't even try them. First home brew I did was all grain biab and was about a year and a half ago.

Sanitisation is what usually kills it for people, Some of those all malt kits produce not bad beer

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MrGee

100% agree, i was brewing extract up to christmas time, got a peco boiler and am brewing in a bag all grain. All grain has a better fresher flavour then extract. Ive made 4 batches since christmas and each one of them was superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 boboboland

macnug wrote: »
    I'm going to get a biab kit later in the year but I don't know if all grain will be worth the extra effort of doing it for every brew. Is there anyone here that does both? Is there much of a difference?

I dont know about extract kits but it took me about 7 hours start to finish for the all grain my first time and it was definitely worth it. Unbelievable Results.

boboboland wrote: »
    I dont know about extract kits but it took me about 7 hours start to finish for the all grain my first time and it was definitely worth it. Unbelievable Results.

An in thing and a little of pre prep, you can get that down to 4 ish

Have grain weighed out, water volumes ready an carbonate levels adjusted and FV sanitised they night before

oblivious wrote: »
    An in thing and a little of pre prep, you can get that down to 4 ish

how can u manage to get it down that low?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Did an all grain ale at the end of January opened my first bottle today and i can safely say i will never brew a beer kit again. The difference in taste is unbelievable. Does everybody feel this way or can u get the same result from kits?

Was thinking the exact same thing the other day...just bought a BIAB kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I use one of these for all grain, liberated it from my granda's shed & cleaned it up, works a treat.

359x400.jpg

• Advertisement

how can u manage to get it down that low?

Biab is 5 hours tops with my set up. I invested in a gas burner and 33L brew kettel.
    I pre heat a gallon of water and add the remaining gradually. Mash is 75mins and takes about 30 mins to get the boil up to temp. 1 hour boil and worth chiller has it cooled in 30-40 mins. I've also left it once or twice to cool by itself and it's worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 matt007

From Extract to partial grain and finally onto all grain.
    I buy the grain by the sack..
    Never go back. It is also cheaper per pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

Not to mention the added satisfaction of making a top quality beer (well sometimes :P ) and knowing this is something you've brought from all the way from the grain to the glass.

In saying that I wouldn't turn my nose up at some of the kits out there, especially the more recent newer brands to the market, quality has come a long way.
    Sure you could argue that one could make the same beer with a good AG recipe but for those who might fancy a making a quick kit on the side of their AG brewday or that, theres still some decent stuff out there.

For all you all grain/biab brewers our there, minches (the exclusive suppliers of malt to Guinness as far as I remember) are now supplying their grain through the homebrew company. Great price too. Seriously need to get into all grain!

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/irish-pale-ale-malt-crushed-25kg-36-ebc-minch-p-2807.html

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/irish-pale-ale-malt-crushed-1kg-36-ebc-minch-p-2810.html

I got the first bag :)

For all you all grain/biab brewers our there, minches (the exclusive suppliers of malt to Guinness as far as I remember) are now supplying their grain through the homebrew company. Great price too. Seriously need to get into all grain!

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/irish-pale-ale-malt-crushed-25kg-36-ebc-minch-p-2807.html

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/irish-pale-ale-malt-crushed-1kg-36-ebc-minch-p-2810.html

Ya great price I got some to try last week I've and oatmeal stout in mind for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Would I be correct in presuming that the kits from HBC come with uncrushed grains? Can you get pre-crushed kits?

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/beercider-kits-hbc-full-extract-kits-23lts-c-1_216.html

ian_m wrote: »
    Would I be correct in presuming that the kits from HBC come with uncrushed grains? Can you get pre-crushed kits?

You can get crushed grain from them I know that for a fact I'd say all the kits are pre crushed definitely looks like it from the pic anyway. Be no harm ring em an see Just in case. I get all grain kits from them that are pre crushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭madhatter76

I made a few of them and like them. They are crushed, come with a little grain bag and almost everything you need, ready to go.

Only thing I found out is to make only 20-21 L instead of 23. I found them to be a bit too thin on 23L.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Extract at its worst has can have a tang to it. At its best, it can have a one-dimensional malt character. Grain preserves what the extraction process leaves behind.

All grain improves further when you are doing malty styles also. And fresh grain matters also.

• Advertisement

I'm making the move to all grain at the moment. Mottly Brew in Glasnevin do grains now. You can email him a recipe and he'll crush it and bag it for you along with hops, yeast and Irish moss. I picked one up on Tuesday. Pale ale. €18

I also have an all grain Saison kit from HBC that I have to brew. That was €20.

The BIAB kit from HBC is great value. €80 quid for boiler, wort chiller, bag and free all grain kit.

Looking forward to the process. I'll report back here with results from both kits when I get to drink them. *rubs hands*

ian_m wrote: »

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/beercider-kits-hbc-full-extract-kits-23lts-c-1_216.html

They're crushed. Mine was anyway.

sharingan wrote: »
    Extract at its worst has can have a tang to it. At its best, it can have a one-dimensional malt character. Grain preserves what the extraction process leaves behind.

All grain improves further when you are doing malty styles also. And fresh grain matters also.

That's the thing though, I don't get the twang from dme that I used to get from kits. Agree about the malt character though, a lot of my beers have a dryness to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

That's the thing though, I don't get the twang from dme that I used to get from kits. Agree about the malt character though, a lot of my beers have a dryness to it.

I've done 3 brews with DME now and no twang off any of them. There was some degree of twang from every kit that I did (less so on the more expensive all malt kits). Steeping grains should provide some additional malt character, no?

loyatemu wrote: »
    I've done 3 brews with DME now and no twang off any of them. There was some degree of twang from every kit that I did (less so on the more expensive all malt kits). Steeping grains should provide some additional malt character, no?

Yea I think twang seems to come from LME more so than DME from my experience. I think its a personal thing though, some people are fine with drinking kits and dont taste any twang, some people can only drink AG and can taste twang from all extract beers and some people cant drink homebrew at all. I personally never felt I got much from the specialty grains alone.

The extract beers I do seem ok to me, I think the dryness may come from the fact I use extra-light or light DME and use the grains for colour. In saying that, im not in a homebrew club so I never really get any objective, impartial reviews of my beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭craiclad

How do you all treat your water for all grain? I'm living in Dublin and thinking about getting into biab since I have all the necessary materials. Only thing holding me back now is the water chemistry.

craiclad wrote: »
    How do you all treat your water for all grain? I'm living in Dublin and thinking about getting into biab since I have all the necessary materials. Only thing holding me back now is the water chemistry.

I am in west Dublin on the leixlip water. Liffey water in Wicklow is soft, but as it flows though Kildare it becomes hard. So my water is hard and hardness is a seasonal venerable dependent on how much water is flow (it maybe be inversely related to flow).

I use and find Brun water (excel sheet) very useful. it a get excel sheet that allow you to accurately adjust your water (as long as you know its original composition)

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Also get a good (mg) digital scales for accurate measurement of salts

My stock water profile for hoppy beers is below. For dark beer such as porter I adjust the calcium to at around 70ppm for good yeast health with some gypsum. Which will also raise the sulphate level too . I have highish bicarbonate so there no need for me to adjust it.

Calcium 120
    Sulfate (SO4) 160
    Bicarbonate (HCO3) 20-50 (depending on seasonal changes and adjusted with CRS soultion http://www.brupaks.com/brewing-aids.htm)

Magnesium (Mg) 7.0
    Sodium (Na) 5.0
    Chloride (Cl) 15.0

The brun water has a number of inbuilt water profile that can used. Pale ale (Burton) ,Dublin and a number of German and Belgian profiles too.

All good information on the water content but for me I just stopped worrying about it a long time ago.
    Different beers are better with different water but beer has been brewed for a long time with out anyone knowing the makeup of the water.
    By default an area would have become know for a certain type of beer and this will happen with your homebrew the beer you like the best suites the water you have

finatron wrote: »
    All good information on the water content but for me I just stopped worrying about it a long time ago.
    Different beers are better with different water but beer has been brewed for a long time with out anyone knowing the makeup of the water.
    By default an area would have become know for a certain type of beer and this will happen with your homebrew the beer you like the best suites the water you have

All the salt adjustments do is a fine tune the brewing proccess. As you have found, if the water is good you will brew good beer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭craiclad

oblivious wrote: »
    All the salt adjustments do is a fine tune the brewing proccess. As you have found, if the water is good you will brew good beer :)

So does this mean I shouldn't worry about ruining beer with chlorinated water?

Advertisement