Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for bike parking facilities [to add to OSM]

• 11-03-2015 7:51pm

As usual, I'm looking for information to add to OpenStreetMap

I've created a simple map showing all existing bike parking facilities that I and others have mapped in OSM for Galway. You can view it here http://u.osmfr.org/m/16656/

341666.JPG

What I am looking for is to ask people to take a quick look at the map and the markers on it and see if I've missed any.

If I have, could you please let me know
    - where it is
    - what capacity there is at the location
    - is it covered

To make it easier, you can add a note to OSM which I will see and update the map based on it. Simply click here, move the marker to the appropriate spot and add as much info as you can.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Presumably you're only looking for ones open to the general public, not company-specific ones?

Presumably you're only looking for ones open to the general public, not company-specific ones?

I'll happily take both. No reason not to map those, I simply add an access tag to say employees only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Good project. Is it possible to have a tag to explain the design?

Some cycle parking "designs" can damage bikes. Likewise on some designs the frame cannot be locked using a standard U lock which makes them unfit for purpose as cycle parking.

Some designs e.g. as used by City council at some places and as found in Bons Secours do not support bikes properly so they roll backwards and fall on the ground.

Be good to have info on weather protection as well.

The thought occurs you could use colours - so keep blue for bike parking suitable for parking bikes and maybe use orange or something for bike parking not suitable for parking bikes.

Good project. Is it possible to have a tag to explain the design?

Yes, this is included already as bicycle_parking=stands or bicycle_parking=racks or others as outlined here
    Be good to have info on weather protection as well.

That falls under the tag covered=yes/no and is included on the majority of parking sites I've found so far
    Some cycle parking "designs" can damage bikes. Likewise on some designs the frame cannot be locked using a standard U lock which makes them unfit for purpose as cycle parking.

Some designs e.g. as used by City council at some places and as found in Bons Secours do not support bikes properly so they roll backwards and fall on the ground.

This is subjective and not something I will be adding, but as OSM is essentially a wiki, there is nothing to stop anyone else creating tagging to add this subjective info
    The thought occurs you could use colours - so keep blue for bike parking suitable for parking bikes and maybe use orange or something for bike parking not suitable for parking bikes.

Again, you are talking about subjective information here which is not something I am looking at.

The map I created is purely used for indicating existing tagged items. Later I will be modifying it for other purposes so it likely won't show bike parking at a later date however the site I'm using, umap, is open to anyone to create their own map look however they want. I will happily show anyone how to do this if need be

• Advertisement

This is subjective and not something I will be adding, but as OSM is essentially a wiki, there is nothing to stop anyone else creating tagging to add this subjective info

<snip>

Again, you are talking about subjective information here which is not something I am looking at.

Uh no I am talking about a well established effects - that are long recognised in standards for cycle parking. These are things that are easy to establish by reference to relevant guidance. This is key information for anyone who wishes to securely park a bike.

http://www.tfw.org.uk/documents/SustransCycleparkingsheetFF37_000.pdf
    Other stands, such as ‘butterfly’ racks, which only attach to the wheels, should not be used as they are less secure, do not support the bike and can damage it, and cause a trip hazard to pedestrians.
    2. Design and Installation
    This is a key consideration for cyclists; even those leaving their bikes for a very short time. The design of the stand therefore has to ensure peace of mind. The device must be easy to access, facilitate the use of ‘D’ type locks and conventional chains/cables, provide support for the whole bicycle and allow both frame and wheels to be secured in a way that suits the individual user

Arguably indicating the presence of cycle parking without indicating its compliance with commonly accepted standards - could be seen as false advertising.

Arguably indicating the presence of cycle parking without indicating its compliance with commonly accepted standards - could be seen as false advertising.

I personally use the "duck" method when surveying "if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck".

I am adding capacity, type, location, if it's lit, 24hr access, covering, type etc.

As I said, OSM is open to anyone who wants to edit. You are more than welcome to add any info you see relevant.

As for false advertising, sorry but no. See the duck explanation above

Actually if either of us had bothered to check the same advice is stated under the definitions given for "type". Subjective or not. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭topcat77

2 bike racks which hold 10 bikes a piece out side Arabica Coffee Co (Atlantaquaria) salthill. not covered

Advertisement