Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assistance with furnishings council house

Options
  • 11-03-2015 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi im just wondering does anyone know if cwo will help furnish a council house if working 20 hours on minimum wage? In rented accommodation most of the money goes on rent and childcare.. Have no furniture of my own

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You can but ask! (And you should, too.)

Another option is to approach Vincent de Paul. They are likely to look very favourably on someone who's working part time and raising kids, and may be able to help in all sorts of ways.

Enjoy your new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Op have you been offered a council house ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

check out www.adverts.ie too
    they have a section where people are giving away items.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

SVP have furniture shops so they're a good source. What kind of stuff do you need? Does your rented house not come with all the standard furniture or is it more soft furnishings you're looking for?

Meathlass wrote: »
    SVP have furniture shops so they're a good source. What kind of stuff do you need? Does your rented house not come with all the standard furniture or is it more soft furnishings you're looking for?

Council houses come unfurnished.

If you're lucky, they have flooring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Council houses come unfurnished.

If you're lucky, they have flooring.

That's what I was trying to clarify. Is the OP in private rented accommodation (probably with rent allowance) in which case most furniture should be provided.

If they're about to move into a council house then the council does usually provide (in my region it's €2000 to cover white goods and furniture)

Meathlass wrote: »
    That's what I was trying to clarify. Is the OP in private rented accommodation (probably with rent allowance) in which case most furniture should be provided.

If they're about to move into a council house then the council does usually provide (in my region it's €2000 to cover white goods and furniture)

The tile of this thread is "Assistance with furnishings council house" - I don't think there's any doubt what they're asking about.

And it's the CWO, not the council that usually provides an allowance.

Except that because the OP is working, they are not sure if they are eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Claregirl14

I am currently in rented accommodation which i am paying for myself no rent allowance.. I am in line for a council house that has become vacant and was just wondering if i would get help as otherwise i would not be able to afford to furnish it

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I am currently in rented accommodation which i am paying for myself no rent allowance.. I am in line for a council house that has become vacant and was just wondering if i would get help as otherwise i would not be able to afford to furnish it

If your successful .

You may be entitled to go to your local CWO for assistance .
    For instance white goods ,cooker ,washer ,fridge you will be asked to supply 2-3 quotes for the items and they will give you a cheque for the cheapest items made out to the retailer.
    They wont cover everything thing though .
    For everything else ask the St Vincent's or check online for cheap or free stuff

Advertisement