Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to Know.... BennyMul

Options
  • 11-03-2015 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the questions. I enjoyed laying myself bare!!

I know this is supposed to kick off on Thursday but I will be away from computer tomorrow for most of day....

A few questions for Benny to get kick off...

1) Tell me about your bikes - how many, what are they, what would you like them to be?

2) Do you prefer to cycle or run on your own or in a group?

3) What's the big target for this year??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Cheers Podge
    Podge83 wrote: »
    1) Tell me about your bikes - how many, what are they, what would you like them to be?
    ?
    My pride and joys:)

Planet X stealth, not the best looking or fastest but a nice first TT machine
    Giant TCR an old carbon but I loves this have it years, needs to be retired,
    Trek 3700 mountain bike
    a 25+ year old Pagagini steel frame; where I welded the block and use as a fixie
    Pinarello Paris frame
    A Rapparee Alsop frame, the one with the saddle on a beam
    A pre-production Trek Madone frame (the first with the ISP) I knew a product designer in Trek, and got this for testing before they went to production, they never asked for it back so sitting at home now.

What would I like them to be:D
    I have always had a soft spot for the Italian bike design, but its a conflict between Pinarello Dogma or Specialized Venge both on Camag.
    For a TT bike Canyon speedmax or Shiv.
    2) Do you prefer to cycle or run on your own or in a group?
    ?
    most of my training is on my own,
    Easy bikes and run I prefer a group to help pass the time, anything specific and its just me.
    3) What's the big target for this year?
    ?
    At this moment do not know,
    I had thoughts of going long, not going to happen now,
    but I had aimed to so sub 5 in the Lost sheep last year, and I missed it,
    So that is there niggling away at me,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What do you do for crust?
    Death row meal?
    5 dinner guests that you'd like to have to dinner?
    What's your sporting background?
    What got you in to tri?
    What's your weakest & strongest disciplines?
    What's a typical training week like for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good morning Benny.

1. Was it once or twice you did the Ras - how did you get on were you able to stay in the pack?
    2. You were speculating on doing another Ironman this year - did you make a decision on that yet?
    3. Favourite movie?
    4. Favourite scene from a movie?
    5. What are the kids playing - have they any interest in individual sports
    6. Best concert you were ever at?
    7. Do you make your wife call you a man of the RAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

1 Age?
    2 Married?
    3 If married how long?
    4 If married how did you meet your wife?
    5 Kids?
    6 If kids - ages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

1. Background in bike racing, tell us a story.

• Advertisement

greetings Pgibbo
    pgibbo wrote: »
    What do you do for crust?
    Work for Dell, and the job is a hard one to explain. The department is over all the "big" customers globally and my main responsibility is in redesigning and coding the manufacturing process to ensure that is a customer wants x,y and z on their system I write an automated process to allow this to happen in any production facility.
    Death row meal?
    A nice rare stake, a nice small amount of mash and nothing else, dont want to ruin a nice steak with healthy food,
    Followed by Bread and butter pudding.
    5 dinner guests that you'd like to have to dinner?
    Dara O Briain
    Rudy Giuliani
    Steve Jobs,
    Jens Voight
    and finally
    Lance Armstrong and Paul Kimmage, purely to mention drugs and sit back and smile.(counting these as one)
    What's your sporting background?
    Played GAA for years and got bored, A cousin of mine was starting to race bikes so I gave it a go, He had natural talent I didn't.
    I would have quit except there was a group of 5/6 of us all starting at the same time and it was a laugh more messing than racing or training,
    I didn't take it serious or really trained until I was in my early 20s and then kids came along and I stopped taking it serious again.
    What got you in to tri?
    One of the lads we trained with was into it in the early 90s and it appealed to me, remember watching a vhs copy of Kona and being in awe.
    So thats when I wanted to do one, planned to do the Ras and then change.
    Ras done and then work, and a family came along so all this was put n hold.

What's your weakest & strongest disciplines?
    Weakest - swimming, this is a catch 22, I am not swimming enough to improve and the fact that I struggle means I put it off.
    I think the bike and run are equally average. however I will always pick a spin over a run.
    What's a typical training week like for you?
    At the moment
    Monday - Easy run a lunch time and trying to get a swim in on the way home
    Tuesday - Hard run a lunch time, V02 sessions, evening handy bike if I have time
    Wed - cct training at lunch core work, some Yoga and then an hour run while the young lad is in basketball training.
    Thurs - cct training again, evening V02 bike
    Friday - lunch time run, and an evening swim.
    Saturday - Some more V02 Bikes (6*6min) some recovery and then some time at sweet spot.
    Sunday long easy cold wet spin,

Hey CW
    catweazle wrote: »
    1. Was it once or twice you did the Ras - how did you get on were you able to
    Lets go with 1.5
    Hit a lorry mid way through the first year, destroyed my knees finished the stage but that was it,
    2. You were speculating on doing another Ironman this year - did you make a decision on that yet?
    I did and its off, I could do it but it would be just doing it for the sake of it and at the moment I could not justify that,
    3. Favourite movie?
    Not really sure i have a favorite
    always laugh a Dumd and Dumber, loved Hellraiser, Evil Dead 2,Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Ohh Brother where art thou
    4. Favourite scene from a movie?
    Jules and the Bible verse from Pulp Fiction

5. What are the kids playing - have they any interest in individual sports
    The young lad is into alot, Basketball is the main one, he also plays Hurling, Football, swims 2 nights a week, and had he bikes so will go out on the road with me or mountain biking
    Alex she is in to not moving, and no interest what so ever in sport,
    6. Best concert you were ever at?
    again so many great gigs, Sepultura, Metallica, Alice in Chains, Springsteen, Kings of Leon.
    but I think the best concert was ICE-T and Bodycount, didnt want to go but got tickets so "why not" and he was great the place went mental with a non stop pit.

7. Do you make your wife call you a man of the RAS?
    I tried this and didnt last, same with the kids, and I am not allowed to tell my Ras stories anymore :(

Afternoon sir.

1 Age?
    42 (hard to do the maths)

2 Married?
    Yep

3 If married how long?
    8 years

4 If married how did you meet your wife?
    Was to meet a "friend" in a night club on Stephens night, and he didn't turn up, so ended up chatting to a lad I hadn't seen in years and her good self was out with them, copious amounts of alcohol later and the rest is history.

5 Kids?

6 If kids - ages?
    Josh he is 12
    Alex she is 17.

1. Background in bike racing, tell us a story.

Greetings

began to cycle at the end of 86, as above didn't really take it seriously.
    Had a serious accident at the end of 87 and was out for 2 years (I think its a long time ago), got back on the bike for a number of reasons and just loved the freedom, eventually got back to racing,
    Did the junior tour and crashed 3 times and 2 punctures in the week, and could not hold the bars as I did something to my hand.

Moved to the Seniors
    Could hold my own with the A3's but lacked confidence in myself so when the going got tuff I could do it but the head kept telling I couldn't.

Story of my first Ras:
    I decided to do my first Ras, (92 I think) this was a real fcukup. I have no team, no support nothing,
    My father dropped me to the start on the saturday and the plan was to meet him in Dublin the following Sunday (real stupid like)
    stuck my gear into a lorry and collect at the end of the stage and then cycle to the B&B, clean the bike, make dinner, recover and do it all again in the morning.
    Stage 1 I broke the cable to the front mech so rode the last 40miles on the small ring, not a hope in hell keeping with the bunch.
    This race ended on Wednesday a stage from Dingle to Clonmel we left Dingle at almost 40mph a single line, no idea how long this lasted but there was a ripple in the bunch and all the riders began to move to the right and a few of us moved right and into a parked lorry, I crashed heavily and landed on both knees, got up rode to the finish and knew the Ras was over.

Loads more stories if you want :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

If you could have any superpower, what would it be and what would be the first thing you would use it for? :)

Favourite Olympic moment?

When was the last time you felt 'in the zone', like you could maintin "this" forever with a smile on your face?

How many push ups can you do to fail?
    How long can you hold a plank for to fail?

3 ice cream scoops from a Gellataria - what flavours?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

BennyMul wrote: »
    Loads more stories if you want :p

Give us one more story so:)

In your view, given power meters were rare in the day. Leaving aside race craft what does it take (power/w/kg) to be a MOPER in the RAS. Interested as i have heard a few answers to this depending on who you talk to.

If you could have any superpower, what would it be and what would be the first thing you would use it for? :)
    Flight,
    and the first thing I would do is take off, always loved the freedom birds appear to have, just to float on a wind current and not be restricted by anything.
    Favourite Olympic moment?
    one that always stands out for me is Eric Moussambani in the swimming in 2000, I hate to say I laughed at the start, but this did not last long and I was on my feet cheering him on. It was nice to see the human side of the Olympics; not the machines that we are used to.
    When was the last time you felt 'in the zone', like you could maintin "this" forever with a smile on your face?
    the last time was on the bike in the Hardman, I never felt the peddles all day. it was effortless (would like that feeling again:P)
    How many push ups can you do to fail?
    This was brutal; I got to 36
    How long can you hold a plank for to fail?
    4:50 give or take a few seconds
    3 ice cream scoops from a Gellataria - what flavours?
    Mint,
    Cookies and Cream
    and something new

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

On a scale of 1-10, how good are your bike handling skills? And please explain the reasoning behind your score.

Who'd win a race around the trails in Ballyhoura, you or BTH? Would the result be any different if it was an individual TT?

Give us one more story so:)

In your view, given power meters were rare in the day. Leaving aside race craft what does it take (power/w/kg) to be a MOPER in the RAS. Interested as i have heard a few answers to this depending on who you talk to.

Rare :D in my day, we had to stop at the bottom of a mountain and flip the wheel over to change gears.

I would personally say >4.5w/kg, however this is just based on riders I know and the power they produce. I have 0 scientific or personal info to really give a proper answer (sorry), however if it was me preparing for it I would be looking to be racing A1/2 and not getting your ar$e handed to me in those races, and I mean racing and not just a number.

imo recovery is more important than w/kg, A decent A3 will be fine in the Ras for a few days riding in the bunch, its the continuous mental and physical effort that takes its toll.
    It really shows when you wake up 5/6 days in to the race and you wake up and cant get out of the bed, and you realize its just the weight of the sheets;)

Not the answer you were looking for but hope its something.

Story 2 :D
    I have been in 2 breaks with world champions, (have rode with more -just to build me up more)
    First one was a stage of the 94 Ras with Bart Brentjens, We got away coming into limerick (before I lived here) and he came across and went to the front and rode, lifted the pace up by about 3/4 mph, I felt less than useless there, it was hard holding his wheel let alone going through, Lasted about 10/15 miles and blew my lights, straight back to the bunch and on the next climb out the back of that and lost 20ish min.

however this was nothing compared to Mark Scanlon,
    We were racing in Dunboyne the year he won the world junior championships, there was a break up the road, and 4 of us got away trying to close the gap, I recall it clearly; on the front of the group giving it everything I had, you know the one where the tip of the saddle is firmly planted up your ar$e and staying there. I look to my left thinking someone was taking over at the front and Mark had just rode over to us (like it was a Sunday spin) and didn't appear out of breath and on the top of the bars just says he cant ride as he has a team mate up the rode,
    At that moment, my secret fantasy of getting discovered and becoming pro went out the window.

zico10 wrote: »
    On a scale of 1-10, how good are your bike handling skills? And please explain the reasoning behind your score.

Who'd win a race around the trails in Ballyhoura, you or BTH? Would the result be any different if it was an individual TT?

Hey,
    on the road, I would give me a 7, years of cycling has me very comfortable and I believe I know my and the bike limitations,
    on the mountain bike, about 4/5, grand most of the time but once it goes technically down its not good, (I thought I was average until I rode a race last year and I was getting past on very narrow descents like I was stopped).

BTH would win, he would take me on the drags however I think I would edge it on the descents, but would not make up the time I lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Where are you from originally? I sense you moved to Limerick for work.
    How many IMs have you done?
    Do you do any bike racing now?
    Are you a fan of the Spring classics?
    If so, how will Spartacus do this year?

Where are you from originally? I sense you moved to Limerick for work.
    How many IMs have you done?
    Do you do any bike racing now?
    Are you a fan of the Spring classics?
    If so, how will Spartacus do this year?

Originally from the big metropolis of Carlow town, came to Limerick with the intentions of staying 2 / 3 years, 17 later :(

Only the 1, but really itching to go again.

I was intending to ride a few this year, planned on heading back to the Des Hanlon (home race) but I am so far from racing fit its not funny.
    but will be back next year,

Love the spring classics, there is some not quite right about short steep climbs, cobbles and everything else that can be thrown at riders this time of the year.
    Personally was hoping to have a Boonen vs Canaellara battle, two of the best classic riders of the past few years,
    but looking at Spartacus so far, his form is there riding well in TT's, but also reckon Sagan may finally make the step up and take a true classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi BM! :D

So, why BennyMul? And did you realize your initials would be BM? ;)
    You mentioned you did one IM - which one, when, what was your time (and please break it down into splits), and what did you learn from doing it?
    How many marathons have you run? And what is your pb?
    What is your best running distance, and your pb for that distance?
    Most embarrassing moment during training or at a race?
    Do you have any superstitions or rituals before or during a race?
    You indicated a lack of self-confidence many years ago (A/3s...Seniors). How do your rate your confidence/mental toughness now?
    Can you pee while on the bike? If so, what is your secret as I have yet to master that talent?
    Worst bike accident you ever had, how long were you out from training, and what did you do to keep fit during your recovery?
    Do you have any tattoos? If so, how many and where?
    If you could spend a day on the bike with one boardsie, who would you choose, and why?

Hey DD :D
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hi BM! :D

So, why BennyMul? And did you realize your initials would be BM? ;)

BennyMul
    When coming up with a username I could not think of anything cool so went with Benny (as this is what I was know as in the cycling world) but the name was gone, so cut my sir name down and hey presto BennyMul.
    You mentioned you did one IM - which one, when, what was your time (and please break it down into splits), and what did you learn from doing it?
    The "ironman" was the Hardman in Killarney,
    Time 11:23
    Splits
    swim: 1:23:49
    bike: 5:42:xx
    run : 4:05:xx
    Lessons learned, its so worth the effort and time, the euphoria or high lasted longer than I expected,
    dont be afraid to look for help with training, I just picked sessions out of my .... with a general idea of what I wanted; looking back there was consistency but no long term plan to progression
    and lastly dont piss off the wife or other half with training, of the next time its mentioned the term divorce is also also used :D
    How many marathons have you run? And what is your pb?
    I think its 11
    a PB of 3:11:5x

What is your best running distance, and your pb for that distance?
    I like long, not fast enough over short distances (or maybe never tried)
    I have never ran a 5k, 2 10k's and paced a half.
    5K 22:27 (in training as part of a brick session)
    10K 41:57 (again after 80k on the bike)
    half 1:32:44 in training.
    Most embarrassing moment during training or at a race?
    ummmmmmmm
    not if the most embarrassing but definitely not my proudest, during the dingle marathon a few years back, I was running fine for the first 6 miles, took some water on and felt a rumble, thought nothing more of it and kept going, then another rumble, I was now in trouble, and I spot a portaloo dive in (wont go into detail), sometime later out I pop and continue, less then a k later more rumbles, and sever cramps spot an opening in a field, in I go,
    I continue on and guess what Im still not done portaloo this time thankfully.
    So long story short this continues until I think mile 22 when I was completely spent with nothing left.
    Do you have any superstitions or rituals before or during a race?
    Used to eat Jam sandwiches religiously before ever race,
    Not anymore Im too old for that now.
    You indicated a lack of self-confidence many years ago (A/3s...Seniors). How do your rate your confidence/mental toughness now?
    When I'm not fit my confidence is brutal, always have that negative voice nagging away, ("don't be stupid you cant run at that pace you are too slow and fat")
    also when I enter an event I know I will finish baring something outside which I cant control, it just when I have a target (time or person) I loose faith in myself,
    Can you pee while on the bike? If so, what is your secret as I have yet to master that talent?
    Yep, both inside and outside ways. :rolleyes:
    the secret is simply to relax, and let it happen,
    Worst bike accident you ever had, how long were you out from training, and what did you do to keep fit during your recovery?
    In a race many many moon ago, while descending and I was at the front of the bunch leading it, we went into a hairpin corner and I was going way to fast, so looked to lean the bike more but the road was covered in gravel so couldn't, the bike began to drift out and then bang, hit something no idea what ended up in a ditch looking at my bike going down the road and bodies falling everywhere,
    Put my hand on my head and no helmet, it broke off, I was spaced for a few hours, thankfully nothing broken, lost a bart load of skin and some nice damage to the bike.
    I was also out training for a few lads, when I sat up took my hands off the bars to eat and the saddle pillar snapped, I feel straight down on the back wheel and hurt my man hood badly that day :P
    Do you have any tattoos? If so, how many and where?
    Not yet,
    If you could spend a day on the bike with one boardsie, who would you choose, and why?
    I think its a choice between Tunney, I would like to pick his brain on IT, programming and training,
    Or DD, from some of the pictures you have from where you lived would love to spend hours riding around there, and to meet you in person also

BennyMul wrote: »
    Or DD, from some of the pictures you have from where you lived would love to spend hours riding around there, and to meet you in person also

You got yourself a date if you're ever in my neck of the woods. And maybe you can teach me how to pee. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

well Mr Mull:-)

bucket list race?
    favourite holiday?
    money no object car?
    money no object bike?
    when are you going to get that tattoo?
    when are you going to teach me to cycle?

I should know the answers to all above but I don't as I do all the talking when were on the road:D

What will the tattoo be? And where will you put it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Great thread BennyMul

Tell us more cycling stories please please!

What do you think of Nicolas Roche's move to sky? Backwards move?

Will you bring me for a cycle when I'm no longer broken and teach me how to stay upright? :D

Pmaldini wrote: »
    well Mr Mull:-)

bucket list race?
    favourite holiday?
    money no object car?
    money no object bike?

I should know the answers to all above but I don't as I do all the talking when were on the road:D

Mr Paul; long time no talk :rolleyes:

want to do IM Lanza or Nice,
    Would also want to do the Pyrenees Mountain challenge (20 odd passes in 5 days)
    For the run the Sparaton marathon (will never happen but have to dream)

Money no object Car:
    Porsche 911

Holiday
    Want to spend a few weeks hiking in Peru

Bike
    Pinarello dogma or Specialized Venge (both on Campag)

No date yet but will before I can still appreciate it and not look stupid

nothing wrong with your cycling, the difference between the first spin and now is savage, in strength and confidence (the only advise I would give is to wear the correct gloves on cold mornings)

What will the tattoo be? And where will you put it?

have loved tribal, and looking at a nice back piece across my shoulders.
    no idea when, possibly when I save the money and build up the nerve :D

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Great thread BennyMul

Tell us more cycling stories please please!

What do you think of Nicolas Roche's move to sky? Backwards move?

Will you bring me for a cycle when I'm no longer broken and teach me how to stay upright? :D

Once got lost mountain biking and spent over 11 hours "out there", stopped on the side of the road to eat sugar beet and I was so hungry, finally got home and had sandwiches in the shower, a great day had.

As for Nico, I am not sure if it was not a backward step more of a sideways mover, with the new additions to Saxo he was going to be moved down the pecking order and it was going to be harder to get the team leader roles he likes,
    Now on the other side SKY have some big names and he will have to work hard to get what he thinks he deserves.

and any time for a spin, ping me and I will head to Nenagh

Advertisement