Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Service! Service! Service!

Options
  • 11-03-2015 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭

So, with a year of ownership about to finish, the 8's going to be needing a service in a few weeks. (I'm almost at 110,000. I was always planning to rebuild it at either 120, or after the next NCT (Jan '16))

And I've looked at my financial situation for the next few months and it'll looking like it'll half to be a home-job. Too broke to pay anyone to do it, so I guess I'm dipping into me spanners.

Change the oil to 10w40
    New oil filter.
    Change the air-filter.
    Clean the MAF.
    Top off the coolant reservoir.
    Try find that vacuum leak...

And I have a spare set of fresh sparkplugs if I need them.

All fairly simple stuff, right? Anything I'm forgetting?

Well, there comes a slight problem. I haven't used any oil in the last 2000km or so - since the cat died. Prior to that, it was never very thirsty. I'm guessing either the injectors clogged, or possibly the plastic lines were damaged by the heat. As a stop-gap, I've been running a hefty premix ratio to keep it oiled up inside. But it's not an ideal situation. Especially on the overrun or going downhill at high rpm...

So, I'm diving in under the upper manifold to pull the lines and injectors off to see what they're like while I'm at it. And maybe clear them and the OMP out if I can. Eke out 5000 more out of it, and a tenth year.

(As for why I'm posting this here. I have a dastardly habit of resolving to do things and long-fingering them. If I tell people about it, then I have peer pressure. And I can follow up with photos)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Does the engine need a rebuild?
    Unless your compression figures are low or having issue starting it then I don't see the point. If you want peace of mind change both stationary gear bearings.

As for missing things:
    Check the rest of the ignition system
    Gear + diff oil change if not already done
    Brake fluid change

As for oil usage, unless you are ragging the hell out of it then don't expect much of a drop, I never see much of a drop in my oil level unless I'm at a track day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

There's a difference between 'not much of a drop' and No drop whatsoever. It's worth investigating.

Diff and Box oils are done last May, probably brake fluid aswell. I can't recall. Ignition coils were replaced in September with D585's.

As for a Rebuild. It's fine atm. It just seemed like 10 years after the NCT was a good time to do it.

Advertisement