Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most obscure historical book you own

Options
  • 11-03-2015 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Thought I'd start a thread about obscure and unique historical books that fellow history lovers have gotten their hands on. One of the rarest books I'd have is probably one I have picked up from a street seller. Its about the river battles between the Soviets and Japs on the Ussuri and Amur rivers in Manchuria in the 1930s. Not any campaign, just a full on book about the little skirmishes that took place during that time. Just thought "I know nothing about this so I will give it a go" :D The book seems to be from the 1950s/60s.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Good idea for a thread.
    A 19th century book on the Covenanting Wars of 17th Century Scotland and the background to the Legend of the Marquis of Montrose who with the minimum of resources nearly took that land for Charles I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Great idea for a thread. I'm away from my books currently, but I'll add a few next week. I have one that had a tiny imprint that was put together by his colleagues as a retirement present for a History prof. Also have a Nazi propaganda book - "Uber de englische humanitat" to be used in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

1917 first edition copy of 'The Ways of War' by Tom Kettle. Bought it on Ebay for something like 20 euro last year. Still in fairly good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

400 year old book that is a printing of the letters of Martin Luther.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

'Kiriklik sepistatud viimistlus post-reformatsiooni Leedu - 1600 - 1750'. Post-reformation ecclesiastical wrought-iron decoration in Lithuania - 1600 - 1750.

Written by Minister Eljás Hetjoo in 1950, and published at his own cost by the University of Tallinn Student Press.

Great stuff!

tac

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Manach wrote: »
    Good idea for a thread.
    A 19th century book on the Covenanting Wars of 17th Century Scotland and the background to the Legend of the Marquis of Montrose who with the minimum of resources nearly took that land for Charles I.

Nice one. Himself and his Irish allies won every battle they fought barring the last one! The Irish soldiers were the beating heart of that Army and in the end they were the only ones left standing before they were cut down in the last fight.

If Ireland had've retained these experienced troops instead of exporting them to Scotland, they might have had a more favourable outcome in the Confederate wars here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

History of the Conquest of Peru by Prescott. George Routledge, London. 1867 edition.

"Feilschribhinn Torna - Essays and Studies presented to Prof. Tadhg ua Donnchada (Torna) on the occasion of his 70th birthday Sept 4th 1944." (Published by UCC 1947). Eclectic collection of essays – Gaelic Culture in the West of Scotland; References to Chant in Early Irish Mss; History of Sheila na Gig; The Riddle of Rose O’Toole; Shane O’Neill comes to the Court of Elizabeth,………..are just a few.

Advertisement