Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separated - kids - need time off

Options
  • 12-03-2015 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm a single mother. Father is a good dad and supportive. Neither of us has had a break or holiday in years. I would like to get away for a week just once without the kids and im wondering what is the done thing here for working separated parents. Is it a lot to ask that he take a weeks annual leave for me to go away... and vice versa? Anybody have any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I guess the easiest solution here would be ye reach a deal in that you take your week with him taking the kids, and you then reciprocate at some time which suits him to go away. Perhaps easier said than done though of course if it proves difficult to align the dates.

• Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

What is the access like at the moment? Is it regular? Consistent? I know of families who have holiday time agreed in their access. So during the summer each parent takes the children for a block of 1 week or 2 weeks, whatever suits, as holiday time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

The usual holiday time for dad's is 3 full weeks in the year and usual weekend access. My ex has the kids from 3rd of March til the 12th, this is his usual weekend plus a week of the easter holidays. He has them for 2 weeks together in summer. This is something that was brought up in mediation, it's not about the parents access to the kids, but the kids access to the parents!
    I really appreciate the time away as it gives me a break. I have 5 kids, 4 with my ex, so I get time to clean the house or sleep!

Advertisement