Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St James Court?

Options
  • 12-03-2015 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering if someone could tell me more about this area. I've only ever been around there for gigs in Vicar St, so would have parked there.
    Not sure if it's dodgy or not.

Looking back through older threads, I see opinions that are positive and negative.
    Looking at an apt in the area tomorrow, but am not too familiar with the place other than that.

Is it "safe". By safe, I mean, are the odds of me getting a kicking good, bad, or indifferent.

As long as I can get home at night and not have to use my limited boxing skills, that'll do me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

live a few mins walk from vicar street so am in the same area
    all around there thomas st / the liberties / james st has a bad name from back in the 80s / 90s but its actually grand. have never seen any hassle, youll pass the odd heroin addict here n there but theyre not confined to the south city centre neway really..
    anywhere in the city can be dodgey, jst keep your wits about you at night time and keep a low profile and youll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I've parked there for gigs, and like anywhere in a city, I've been wide afterwards. Never had hassle though.
    Same as anywhere else.
    It's a gated apartment block, which is good at least, in terms of security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

It's grand. I've never had a bit of bother. There is a spar up the road that gets a bit of hassle from kids but that's it. Bus stop right beside it goes straight into town, though there is a weird old guy in one of the houses there but you'll spot him. If he is going on the bus, let him go first or he will literally shove you outta the way and trod on you. Gate entrance is a little prone to flooding if the rains are really really heavy. Last time was a few years back when the quays burst.
    Only other time I saw problems were when some guy boxed a girl on a bus that was passing through and when some guy robbed a car but happened to crash it across from St. James Court. That's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Well the whole building smells of curry and the noise of kids playing in the courtyard would drive anyone mental, but the area is okay. Obviously it's the red line luas, but if you're not a fool you will have no issues. I have friends who lived there for 7 years without incident.

curry? It's only until the end of July anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Once the weather gets warm there will be 30 kids out in that courtyard until 10pm every night. Just on case you're taking it until July so you can finish college. There will be no study done!

Nope, won't be studying. Working.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Once the weather gets warm there will be 30 kids out in that courtyard until 10pm every night. Just on case you're taking it until July so you can finish college. There will be no study done!

I live there and that's an exaggeration, there’s about a dozen of them at most and they’re all lovely kids. Area wise, it’s grand too – loads of shops, transport and amenities nearby (Phoenix Park is a 10 min walk.) TBH, there’s not an area in the city that doesn’t have a few junkies or drunks wandering about, and any you encounter here will just be going about their business…

Well, if there are kids there, I'll assume it's a safe place for them to play!

An update. Yeah, there are kids bawling outside in the good weather, but it's not the worst thing.

The worst thing, and it's Dublin city centre in general, is the constant squawking of seagulls from dawn until dusk, and even after it.

It's even more annoying than the head the balls that are on the street from St James down into the city centre.

The drone of the seagulls in Dublin city is doing my head in. A constant annoying squawk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement