Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some people prefer bars of soap to liquid soap

• 12-03-2015 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Important news from BBC news Magazine Monitor 'A collection of cultural artefacts': Some people prefer bars of soap to liquid soap' and here's 5 reasons why.
    1) It's what they've always known
    2) Solid soap is more luxurious
    3) The feeling of scouring away the dirt in the shower
    4) Less packaging is better for the planet
    5) The bottles are fiddly

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-31771436

Well I'm sure glad they said that SOME people prefer bars of soap to liquid soap.I mean... COME ON... this bar of slippery soap flying all over the place, all soapy and solid-like.

Way too much hassle.

I'm also guessing they haven't tried the new limited edition strawberry laces liquid hand soap.

Jeez, it was such a struggle not to eat my fingers that night. Although that's maybe an argument FOR liquid soap.

And 'liquid bottles are fiddly'. Em... have you tried using a bar of soap lately?

What is the world coming to?

Just give me that liquid soap and you'll be grand.

Imagine your job being writing articles on liquid soap vs solid soap :P

Liquid soap or solid soap? 88 votes

Liquid soap
    0%
    Solid soap
    100%
    SimibyteStarkRabieschakothaGuy:IncognitoBadly Drunk BoyZaphBizzyCZombienoshsdanseo5starpoolFionnecolm_mcm[Deleted User]sudzsGreyfoxdotsmanfitzgesePhilo Beddoe 88 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Solid soap
    In my house the bar of soap always had a pube on it. Liquid soap all the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Sticking them up their hole is all they be doing with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I use Swarfega when I'm dirty, liquid soap when I'm just giving myself a quick going over and solid soap for a proper wash and shave.

Could never get into this shaving foam craic, a proper shave needs a bar of soap.

Poll needs more Swarfega

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

Ive seen some AH threads in my time but this one has to be up there with the worst in terms of imagination. Seriously?? Soap??? Do you have anything better to be doing than examining soap in great detail in your spare time

Miall108 wrote: »
    Ive seen some AH threads in my time but this one has to be up there with the worst in terms of imagination
    I take it you haven't seen many of my threads?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Solid soap
    Miall108 wrote: »
    Ive seen some AH threads in my time but this one has to be up there with the worst in terms of imagination. Seriously?? Soap??? Do you have anything better to be doing than examining soap in great detail in your spare time

I think something may have gone over your head ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Solid soap
    I was thinking how great, refreshing and a change of pace from what seems to be After Hours normality this was when I read the OP. I literally felt a sense of relief in my Boards attitude. Then the next two posts were about a single pube and shoving things up your hole and suddenly I'm all tense again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I was thinking how great, refreshing and a change of pace from what seems to be After Hours normality this was when I read the OP. I literally felt a sense of relief in my Boards attitude. Then the next two posts were about a single pube and shoving things up your hole and suddenly I'm all tense again.

All back to normal, at one with the universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

When I was younger I was addicted to collecting different types of soap. It was a slippery slope: I started with liquid soap and then moved on to the harder stuff. Now I'm clean though.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

You can't "acquire" liquid soap from hotels the way you can bars.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ninap

Yeah, fairly lame thread. On the other hand, I do have a strong preference for a bar of soap in the shower. Liquid soap you gotta keep squeezing. And you waste much more. And how do you wash your, ahem, arsehole? With a bar of soap, the soap does the work, so to speak, rather than your fingers...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's good to see the real issues getting their opportunity to be discussed here on AH, although it's a bit disappointing that we had to wait for the BBC to do it first.

Liquid soap all the way for me, I was raised on bar and I hated the way it became almost unusable once it got reduced to a certain size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

Jaysus, what was I thinking.

Solid soap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

Joke....

Edit, thats horrible and Im drunk, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Shower of bastards..

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Shower of DIRTY bastards..

FYP!:pac:

Solid soap
    Karl Stein wrote: »
    Shower of bastards..

Don't you mean barstars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

Solid soap
    Liquid soap all tha way. I've one of each on the sink and the bar of soap is as dry as the desert.

I use Swarfega when I'm dirty

For external use only.

Solid soap
    Ninap wrote: »
    Yeah, fairly lame thread.

On the other hand, I do have a strong preference for a bar of soap in the shower. Liquid soap you gotta keep squeezing. And you waste much more. And how do you wash your, ahem, arsehole? With a bar of soap, the soap does the work, so to speak, rather than your fingers...

Yep, thankfully the point of the thread was very different from winning any un-lame thread awards :P

Thanks for your soapy contributions all the same though.

• Advertisement

For external use only.
    I've more than once mistook a blob of used swarfega on the worktop for gravy.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Solid soap
    I'm a confused woman.

References to liquid soap in the shower... surely it's a case of using shower gel in the shower, and not soap at all...? and with a shower puff or sponge to get the most lather out of it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Carbolic soap and a wire brush

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm just hoping we get some militant soapists and this thread descends into skub

I use shower gel as i can hang it off my manhood, it hangs very far forward in an elephant's trunk kind of arc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Shower gel usually but my girlfriend left her bar soap in the shower one day (fancy soap) and I had people complimenting me on the smell, which you don't expect to happen with soap alone. It must be unisex.

Not sure what the brand is, it's white and round; it smells spicy and woody and maybe a little bit citrussy; I think it's something like the name of the firm which runs the Luas, Veolia (but it isn't veolia).

I get a heap of this stuff free every time I'm in Vegas, does me for the year, dunno if it's gel or soap or what but it cleans me up good anyway. :)

http://www.shoptivegas.com/O-Spa-Cleansing-Shower-Gel-3045300550.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Got some lovely L'Occitane and Jo Malone hand soaps over the Chrimbo. Don't usually use 'em (the ones in gift sets generally get thrown out) but these were just too nice to throw away. They smell fablis, but I will be glad to get back to the liquid hand soap. I can't stand the little puddle of goo that the bar sits in. No matter how often you rinse out the soap dish, the bloody puddle is always there again the next time you go to use the soap. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Bars of soap, stock up when I go to a hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Ye can't wash away the feeling of shame lads.

Ye're only fooling yerselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Liquid soap always makes my hands feel really greasy, feel like I've to wash them all over again if liquid soap gets near them.

Proper bar of soap makes me feel I've actually cleaned my hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ruu wrote: »
    Bars of soap, stock up when I go to a hotel.

I stock all the free toiletries everytime I go to a hotel

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I lick myself like a cat to keep myself spit-fresh.

Times are tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why is the poll public? What's your angle OP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Not ANOTHER Gay thread. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Liquid soap in the wash hand basin, but only to avoid the slimey puddle, but a bar of soap in the shower for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Poll needs more Swarfega
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

That's not a soap article! This is a soap article:

ww.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2048496/Shower-gel-better-soap-It-just-wont-wash.html

Look at the feckin size of the article this DM prick managed to write on soap.

Can't post links so add a W at the beginning.

Solid soap
    I thought it was only the over 50's who still use bar soap, out of habit.

Liquid soap at the sink, Fenjal in the shower, with a nice big loofah to get at the awkward bit between the shoulderblades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Solid soap
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Got some lovely L'Occitane and Jo Malone hand soaps over the Chrimbo

L'Occitane Verbena liquid soap. Smells like barley sugar. Mnyom Mnyom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Soap can get too gunky at the base of it which is vile. Far too precious, is soap, what with the cleaning of the thing that's meant to clean.

Solid soap
    Satsuma shower gel from The Body Shop is the best scent ever in the morning. I think the smell of the shower gel is almost the best thing about having a shower.

Bar soaps just don't have the same impact on the senses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Liquid soap / shower gel is for bandwagoners who don't mind wasting half the bottle of ****é straight down the outlet. I'm sure it must have been invented for this reason alone. At least when you see soap suds spinning down the outlet you know they've done the job intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I use Swarfega when I'm dirty,
    Poll needs more Swarfega

I hope you don't wash yer hole with it, gritty arse isn't very comfortable

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Solid soap
    I hate bars of soap. I blame my dad. He always turns bars of soap into dirt encrusted, black and oily, nasty germ infested globs of slime. He squeezes the sh*t out of the soap, leaving the filth from under his fingernails embedded under the surface. Liquid soap is so much better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Solid soap
    I also have some Molton Brown stuff at home somehow. Can't remember how I got it but I can't use it 'cos I end up smelling like the jacks in BTs

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I lick myself like a cat to keep myself spit-fresh.

Times are tough.
    I'm not doing so bad. My cat cleans me when she is finished cleaning herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

I prefer bars of soap.

Much cheaper. You can get several bars for a couple of Euro and a single bar'll last several showers.

It's better for the environment. Little or no plastic waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

a five year old thread about soap

• Advertisement
Advertisement