Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance claim

• 12-03-2015 4:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi guys was in an accident in January and i was at fault. Have a couple of issues and looking for advice.
    1 As i am a prov driver and they have informed me i am not covered i have to repay the bill of 1700 to them. Thats fair enough as i am footing the bill for the full amount what have i lost my no claims bonus. I didnt claim on the insurance and i am paying for the costs.
    2 My car was taken by them and scrapped. So i was left without my car and the bill. What right did they have to take my car in this incident.

Just annoyed my insurance has doubled and my car was scrapped and a bill to pay for the accident.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

eamo22 wrote: »
    Hi guys was in an accident in January and i was at fault. Have a couple of issues and looking for advice.
    1 As i am a prov driver and they have informed me i am not covered i have to repay the bill of 1700 to them. Thats fair enough as i am footing the bill for the full amount what have i lost my no claims bonus. I didnt claim on the insurance and i am paying for the costs.
    2 My car was taken by them and scrapped. So i was left without my car and the bill. What right did they have to take my car in this incident.

Just annoyed my insurance has doubled and my car was scrapped and a bill to pay for the accident.

A small bit confused here.
    Why were you not insured, were you driving on your own?
    Was there anyone else involved,
    I assume the insurance company were informed but did they deal with the claim or did you ?
    What exactly is the bill of 1700 for?
    Did you use the insurance companys breakdown assist to recover the car.
    How badly was your car damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

yeah i was driving on my own. I didnt use there breakdown assist to recover the car. I have requested a detail breakdown of where the 1700 came from. There was somebody else involved and his car wasnt worth 1700. My car had damage to the front which was fixable and the air bags had gone off but i had got a quote of 1800 to fix my car. Yes the insurance company were informed but they dealt with it and i am paying the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Insurance companies cannot waiver their responsibility to cover the third party. Even if your insurance is totally voided by your actions, they have to cover everyone and everything else.

Honestly, I wouldn't push it. €1700 is nothing for a claim. They could absolutely take you to the cleaners if the other party was injured and they had medical bills to foot. Insurance companies have the right to recover their costs in these instances. Air bags going off is not fixable, it means the car took a good hit and structurally you'd be insane to fix it in the vast majority of cases.

I'd be vaguely more concerned about having such a black mark against your insurance. You basically invalidated your policy and they are reclaiming their costs.

i have no issue with paying 1700 as it was my fault. Its just why they took my car and scrapped it without my consent. It wasnt a big hit there was very little damage to the front. I was prob doing 30mph. All the damage to the car in front of me was the bumper so its why i question 1700 of a claim. The air bags are the issue in my car but could be replaced for 1200. The biggest issue i have is why my insurance has doubled when i have lost my car and paying the claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

i have no issue with paying 1700 as it was my fault. Its just why they took my car and scrapped it without my consent. It wasnt a big hit there was very little damage to the front. I was prob doing 30mph. All the damage to the car in front of me was the bumper so its why i question 1700 of a claim. The air bags are the issue in my car but could be replaced for 1200. The biggest issue i have is why my insurance has doubled when i have lost my car and paying the claim.

Your insurance has doubled because you've a claim against you and your risk is much higher now, even though you're footing the bill it's still a claim that's going through the system and has affected your risk profile as a driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Sorry mate, but your thinking is in the wrong place. You hit into another car while doing 30mph? you say the other car had little damage and that it wasn't worth €1700, but to be fair, most cars are worth at least that sort of figure now, so it sounds like you are just a bit sore about it. I can't say why your car was taken and scrapped without your consent. I can say that my concern would be the almost inevitable personal injury claim you will see coming through your door later in the year. Your insurance company may be chasing you for many multiples of the bill you have received for property damage. I don't mean to be harsh here, but I hope we see more people getting taken to the cleaners for breaching the terms of their insurance, driving with a Learners Permit. The lax attutude of many permit holders is astonishing. I know one personally and it sickens me to see him not bothering to get a full license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

goz83 wrote: »
    Sorry mate, but your thinking is in the wrong place. You hit into another car while doing 30mph? you say the other car had little damage and that it wasn't worth €1700, but to be fair, most cars are worth at least that sort of figure now, so it sounds like you are just a bit sore about it. I can't say why your car was taken and scrapped without your consent. I can say that my concern would be the almost inevitable personal injury claim you will see coming through your door later in the year. Your insurance company may be chasing you for many multiples of the bill you have received for property damage. I don't mean to be harsh here, but I hope we see more people getting taken to the cleaners for breaching the terms of their insurance, driving with a Learners Permit. The lax attutude of many permit holders is astonishing. I know one personally and it sickens me to see him not bothering to get a full license.

Excellent post, but you won't last long here with with that air of personal responsibility.

If everybody followed the law of the land, we would all pay far less for insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭pheelay

If everybody followed the law of the land, we would all pay far less for insurance

Or looking from another angle, if the laws of the land were properly enforced, we'd pay less insurance. Perhaps.

OP, when processing a claim, an assessor examines the cars involved for value, roadworthiness before the accident and cost to repair. If the airbags went off and an accident at that speed, it's likely that there is (perhaps unseen) structural to your car and a repair may have been deemed unsafe. In that case they can't return the car to you I believe.

As disgusted as I am about provisional drivers getting away with driving unaccompanied in this country, the legality of your situation is a police matter and shouldn't be of any concern to the insurance company. If they knew beforehand that you had a provisional licence then it sounds like they are using it as an excuse to back out of a claim. It might be worth getting proper legal advice on that.

Thread carefully here, as having your policy "invalidated" could stick on your record for life. You will need to declare this any time you ring around for quotes etc. It's one of the first questions they ask. I reckon the best possible outcome for you would be the insurer honouring the policy with you repaying the 1700€ claim to them. Same result for the insurer and you keep your record clean.

Excellent post, but you won't last long here with with that air of personal responsibility.

I don't know what you mean exactly by "here". If we all took "personal responsibility" we would all be "here" much longer.

By 'here' I mean in a thread about a nasty insurance company doubling a person's premium as a result of an accident where a person breeched the conditions of their permit.

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies. I never made an issue about paying the 1700 and never once did i state it wasnt my fault but was wondering. I just think its mad that you get screwed twice for the one incident. I could have said noting to the insurance company and paid for the damage or lied and said somebody was in the car with me. I was the one that was honest and not making bogus claims. I havent got my full license because of medical issues over the last two years and only back to driving full time. I aint lax about my license i have my test next month and never had an accident. Ice was the main factor that morning and went into my local office today and they reduced my insurance by a lot in fairness. They still havent answered what happened to my car. Thanks again

By 'here' I mean in a thread about a nasty insurance company doubling a person's premium as a result of an accident where a person breeched the conditions of their permit.

There. Is nothing nasty about the insurance company doubling the premium. You don't even know what the premium was to begin with and many years ncd the OP had. It's really quite simple. The OP was at fault and is seeing the consequences of this. I didn't realise this was a popularity contest, where we all line up to give the OP a pat on the back and say how he did nothing wrong and it's just those insurance mobsters sucking him dry.
    thanks for the replies. I never made an issue about paying the 1700 and never once did i state it wasnt my fault but was wondering. I just think its mad that you get screwed twice for the one incident. I could have said noting to the insurance company and paid for the damage or lied and said somebody was in the car with me. I was the one that was honest and not making bogus claims. I havent got my full license because of medical issues over the last two years and only back to driving full time. I aint lax about my license i have my test next month and never had an accident. Ice was the main factor that morning and went into my local office today and they reduced my insurance by a lot in fairness. They still havent answered what happened to my car. Thanks again

Sorry to hear of your health problems OP and its good that you have a test booked and all. However, the fact still remains that you should not have been driving on your own. Maybe a more experienced, fully licensed driver would have helped you avoid having the accident. The rule is there for such reasons.

goz83 wrote: »
    There. Is nothing nasty about the insurance company doubling the premium. You don't even know what the premium was to begin with and many years ncd the OP had. It's really quite simple. The OP was at fault and is seeing the consequences of this. I didn't realise this was a popularity contest, where we all line up to give the OP a pat on the back and say how he did nothing wrong and it's just those insurance mobsters sucking him dry

Check your sarcasm detector, it obviously was faulty when you read my post

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Discounting the wrongs of no license, I to wonder what rights the insurers had to dispose of his property without consent

roverrules wrote: »
    Discounting the wrongs of no license, I to wonder what rights the insurers had to dispose of his property without consent

i will find out and let you know. I think this is getting out of hand i am well aware of the laws regarding the license as is everybody else. I do think im entitled to know where my car is and what they did with it. I am sure they were paid for it as scrappage but in the detailed letter of costs it wasnt inserted. As its my property i dont think there entitled to scrap it.

Check your sarcasm detector, it obviously was faulty when you read my post

Did nobody tell you that sarcasm doesn't lend to the written word? This is why we have smileys on boards such as :rolleyes: and ;)

It could be your logicometer on the way out :pac:

If it is a Category A write-off, insurers have a duty to ensure that the vehicle and parts are destroyed in an appropriate manner

http://www.cartell.ie/2010/02/cartell-insurance-write-off-categories/

Advertisement