Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant on JSA maternity benefit?

Options
  • 12-03-2015 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys im looking for a little advice,
    ive been in full time work since ive left school, i was due my first child in May 2014 and the company i was working for went bust the month before i was due, i had to claim jobseekers allowance when my 24 weeks maternity benefit ended.
    Im currently still looking for work everywhere and anywhere with no sucess as me and hubby are pregnant again (not planned but we are very happy and we arent due until the end of september) He is in full time employment. If im not successful in finding a job shortly i feel the interview process will become harder with a pregnant belly, its diagraceful but i realise most companies would prefer to hire a non pregnant lady. If i am still unemployed near my due date and on Jobseekers i dont think i will qualify for maternity, is there anything else i can apply for as the money worrys are the only thing overshaowing this otherwise very happy time in our lives. I know its a few months away but i like to plan ahead. Luckily we have everything for baby and only need to get a double buggy which my husbands wages and savings will cover. Its more day to day living when our second little one arrives that we are worrying about.
    Thanks for your help in advance guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Probably best in the State Benefits forum, but depending on your husband's income you may qualify for Family Income Supplement. When your Jobseeker's Benefit runs out you'll be means assessed for Jobseeker's Allowance. If you're still on Jobseeker's when you're due, you'll be exempt from signing for a few weeks before and after....I'm not sure exactly how many.

If you look at www.welfare.ie you'll out some more information.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I don't know but I always find the staff in the maternity benefit office in Donegal very helpful if I have any queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Slightly off topic but my sister was offered a job when she was 8months pregnant. She started the job but went straight onto Maternity Leave. So don't let it put you off applying for jobs. Any good employer will look past 6mths maternity leave, it's a short time in the grand scheme of a woman's working life.

You could ring Citizens Information regarding your rights though in the meantime if you don't find work. Or the Maternity Benefit Department i hear they're very good & nice.

Advertisement