Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is sterilisation ever acceptable?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Hmm, you may not realise it, but the system you're advocating is actually very familiar sounding to the system the State had in place in the not too distant past where they outsourced the welfare of vulnerable people in society to the various religious orders, and well, we all know better now, in hindsight.

Your system would be no different, and indeed nowadays the State through the HSE and the likes of Tusla (only in existence about two years I think, if even that), outsources the welfare of vulnerable people to... you guessed it - various charity organizations.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The RC church were taking children away from women because of the circumstances of their birth without ever giving them any opportunity to raise their own kids.

That is monsterous. My suggestion was only to apply to parents who have already had children and were incapable of raising them and were already being dealt with by the social services for abuse or neglect of children.

There is no comparison between what I am suggesting, and what was done in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Akrasia wrote: »
    The RC church were taking children away from women because of the circumstances of their birth without ever giving them any opportunity to raise their own kids.

That is monsterous. My suggestion was only to apply to parents who have already had children and were incapable of raising them and were already being dealt with by the social services for abuse or neglect of children.

There is no comparison between what I am suggesting, and what was done in the past.

There is? I just gave you the comparison. You've just chosen to ignore the role the State played in the above.

When it happens again, it would be another few decades before people realise how wrong it was.

The State luckily enough in some ways nowadays, has neither the will, the resources, nor the power, to implement your suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

There is? I just gave you the comparison. You've just chosen to ignore the role the State played in the above.

When it happens again, it would be another few decades before people realise how wrong it was.

The State luckily enough in some ways nowadays, has neither the will, the resources, nor the power, to implement your suggestion.

I think the distinction between what the poster suggested and the way the things were done by religious orders is very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

eviltwin wrote: »
    How do you decide who is suitable to raise a child? That's the thing about being a parent, you can't predict who will be good at it and who won't. And coming from a crap home doesn't mean you're destined to be a waste of space.

How do adoption agencies decide? Surely it would be a similar process.

I agree with your point about never knowing how a child will turn out regardless of their background, so in no way is it a perfect idea but if it was brought in somehow tbh I really wouldn't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Surely incentivized longterm contraception might work better? (coil/implant/injection etc.) Anyone can turn their life around at any point; a junkie on the street today might end up getting clean, a job and a life together for themselves and want children in the future. I don't want to take the possibility away from them, it feels like you're condemning them to that life.

But I also don't want to see innocent kids brought into the former's life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement