Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travelling with a child with different surname

Options
  • 12-03-2015 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

We are going to Portugal in May for a weeks holiday. It'll be the first time travelling abroad with my son who has his dad's surname. We are no longer together.
    do I need to bring any documentation with me to the airport to avoid hassle because we have different surnames?
    Anybody got any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

teggers5 wrote: »
    We are going to Portugal in May for a weeks holiday. It'll be the first time travelling abroad with my son who has his dad's surname. We are no longer together.
    do I need to bring any documentation with me to the airport to avoid hassle because we have different surnames?
    Anybody got any experience of this?

What age is the child? I'd suggest bringing a copy of birth cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

He's 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

If you are going to have a problem it will be in Portugal with the immigration officers there. They may want to see documentation to ensure the child isn't being brought to their juristiction without the knowledge of the other parent. Personally I wouldn't be worried about it but if you would like me to find out more from irish immigration officers I will! Just send me a PM if you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Can't see it being a problem, as it is quiet common.

Bring the birth cert in case of Sods Law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I travelled from Australia to Ireland with three of my children whose last names are different to mine on our passports without issue. No harm in bringing a copy of the birth certificates with you just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It has never been a problem for me as a child or me with my children but I bring their birth certs just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I must say I have never thought of this, i.e. my young daughter has her mother's name on her passport and I would never have crossed my mind to have the birth-cert etc with me ...

• Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

You could bring the birth cert, and a letter from the dad stating he has no objection to you bringing your (pl) child out of the country on holidays.

Unlikely you will be questioned, but if you are at least you're covered from all angles.

Many thanks for the replies. Much appreciated :)
    I'll definitely bring his birth cert with me anyway. And I'll ask his Dad about getting a letter although getting anything from him these days is like getting blood from a stone!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Many thanks for the replies. Much appreciated :)
    I'll definitely bring his birth cert with me anyway. And I'll ask his Dad about getting a letter although getting anything from him these days is like getting blood from a stone!

You could always start using your surname on the child and/or change the child's name by deed poll if it makes life easier for you and the father isn't bothering to get in touch. There's no law that a child has to have a father's surname.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

lazygal wrote: »
    You could always start using your surname on the child and/or change the child's name by deed poll if it makes life easier for you and the father isn't bothering to get in touch. There's no law that a child has to have a father's surname.

Agreed. Or you could use both surnames and double barrel. You'd then just need to add your surname aswell on his next passport renewal. We are married and Our kids have both our surnames but I only use mine.

I would only love to change his surname. I am sorry I didn't put my surname on his birth cert also.
    I am getting married this year and my son has already said he wants to have the same surname as myself and his step dad.. But his father would never in a million years agree to it! He is still a part of my son's life even if it is only a small part!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

My sister in law was stopped coming through Copenhagen airport because her children's surname is different to her own. Shes flown a few times with them and this was the first time she was stopped. She was told to bring a certified copy of the birth certs with her next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I would only love to change his surname. I am sorry I didn't put my surname on his birth cert also.
    I am getting married this year and my son has already said he wants to have the same surname as myself and his step dad.. But his father would never in a million years agree to it! He is still a part of my son's life even if it is only a small part!
    I dont think he will have any say in that to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Bring birth certs, and start using a double barrelled surname for him on official stuff (school, etc). If you want to have it as his surname on the next passport, you may need to have 2 years proof of use, even with a deed poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

aaakev wrote: »
    Why not, in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Given that most of us answer to a name not on our passport or birth cert, are we not over analysing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Is your ex your sons legal guardian? If you were never married unless you have both signed forms stayon he is the legal guardian than he has no legal standing. He has no say in your sons surname. If you want to keep relations good, you could keep his surname and add on yours (or what your new married name will be) and double barrel. That way both sides "may" be content? It seems your son would like to have the name yourself will be using.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Myself and my mum travelled extensively from 1994 onwards (when I was 9) with different surnames and never had any problems. But of course "these days" things are likely to be different and suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

She said that they are not together, she never said that he doesn't bother to get in touch. Dramatise much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

aaakev wrote: »

I've been through this very recently. If the father is around, you absolutely need his consent and he very much has a say in it. My son hasn't seen his father in many years and after years of being told no, we've finally executed a deed poll.

On topic, I've never had an issue with traveling with my son under different names.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Is your ex your sons legal guardian? If you were never married unless you have both signed forms stayon he is the legal guardian than he has no legal standing. He has no say in your sons surname. If you want to keep relations good, you could keep his surname and add on yours (or what your new married name will be) and double barrel. That way both sides "may" be content? It seems your son would like to have the name yourself will be using.

Yes we have joint custody and guardianship although I have him 90% of the time. Unfortunately I know he will never agree to my son taking his stepdads name. And there's no point in rocking the boat over it. We've explained to my son that he can change him name himself when he's older if he still wants to and he was happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

dogcat wrote: »
    Why not, in your opinion?

I assumed the father had no guardianship but the op says otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

My Mum & Dad brought my 1 yr old son to the states last year (myself & husband traveled 2 days previous) and his surname was different to theirs. Myself and my husband both signed a letter confirming my parents had our permission to bring our son and had it witnessed and stamped by the guards along with a copy of his birth cert. They were never questioned or requested to show any documentation. But always best to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

A friend of mine has been stopped a few times with her daughter because of different surnames and the child looks nothing like her, child is Irish with blonde hair & pale skin, my friend is foreign with sallow skin and dark hair (hubby is Irish, pale skin blonde hair) they usually ring the hubby to confirm all the documentation that they have is correct and he has given permission for her to take the child out of the country.

Enjoy your holidays OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 annadyb

My cousin was stopped in Germany for that reason. Better to have the child's birth cert with you just in case

elly123 wrote: »

Enjoy your holidays OP.

Thank you! Long overdue ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I've travelled with my son who has his dad's surname not mine. Just to be on the safe side, I brought the birth cert, and a letter from his dad to say we had his permission to go abroad. I had to show them.

I've travelled with my son who has his dad's surname not mine. Just to be on the safe side, I brought the birth cert, and a letter from his dad to say we had his permission to go abroad. I had to show them.
    Was it just a letter he had written and signed himself or something more formal? Did he have it stamped by the gards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Was it just a letter he had written and signed himself or something more formal? Did he have it stamped by the gards?
    It was just typed and signed himself

• Advertisement

It was just typed and signed himself
    That's great. Thank you Ivy.
    I think I will type a letter myself and get him to sign it. I know if I asked him to do it we'd be waiting a long time!
    Even if we don't need it I'd rather have it and cover every possible hurdle.

Advertisement