Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travelling with a child with different surname

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Best to do it alright. I've been stopped with my daughter and questioned. I think the laws changed after the hague convention, so it's only recently enough that they start querying parents travelling alone with children. There's a section on parental child abduction, this is what the laws are trying to prevent.

http://travel.state.gov/content/childabduction/english/legal/law-and-regulations/hague.html

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Canada is another country that requires a letter of consent from the other parent. We were only changing flights on a cheap route to the US, but had to show this.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

I travelled with my son, to New Zealand, who, to the untrained eye, looks nothing like me, he has blonde hair and blue eyes, and I'm dark haired and tanned. Our surnames are different too. I was never asked for any documentation as to whether he was my son. I just took a birth certificate with me, and my husband had his phone on all the time just in case of any queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JodTT

Myself and my husband were travelling back from our honeymoon in Tenerife in January with our 11 month old daughter. My daughter and husband have the same surname and I still have my maiden name for the moment. In Dublin passport control, myself and my daughter went through first and the inspector asked me for a copy of my daughter's birth cert because our names are different.

Luckily enough my husband was behind me in the queue so it was sorted quickly, but I still can't understand why I was asked heading back INTO Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

JodTT wrote: »
    Myself and my husband were travelling back from our honeymoon in Tenerife in January with our 11 month old daughter. My daughter and husband have the same surname and I still have my maiden name for the moment. In Dublin passport control, myself and my daughter went through first and the inspector asked me for a copy of my daughter's birth cert because our names are different.

Luckily enough my husband was behind me in the queue so it was sorted quickly, but I still can't understand why I was asked heading back INTO Dublin!

Because they're thorough. That's how it should be everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I worked in the airline industry for 12 years and never once had a case of a family with different names having a problem. This is back when it was very rare to have a woman using her maiden name and blended families were unusual. They have to do their job I suppose but its normal enough now to have a parent with a different surname and kidnapping is not restricted to families with different surnames! Still a pain though.

Advertisement