Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sydney to Washington

• 12-03-2015 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭

I have a Sydney accord honours degree and I am thinking of starting my application for chartered status in New Zealand. I have been told I need a Washington accord degree to do this or do a knowledge assessment. Does anyone know what a knowledge assessment entails, I have heard it is just a maths test but having been out of college for 3 years and not using this kind of maths daily in my job I don't think I would pass it. Do I need a Washington accord degree to get chartered with engineers Ireland or will a Sydney accord suffice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

I'm not sure about gaining chartership on just an hons degree. Some institute's usually require both an accredited hons degree as well as an accredited master's degree. But I think you can supplement the accredited hons degree by writing a lengthy report with Engineers Ireland detailing your career experience to date. The fact that yours is with the Sydney accord may require an academic assessment by the institute so that it is accredited.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Where did you get your degree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

From my understanding if you graduated before or in 2012 you could apply for chartered status, after 2012 you had to have a masters. I got my degree in LYIT.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Im on the Associate Engineer list. It says this at the bottom:

This qualification meets the education standard for Chartered Engineer for graduates on or before 31/12/2012. For graduates after 1/1/2013 further learning is required to meet the education standard for Chartered Engineer.

Can anybody from Engineers Ireland clarify this?

• Advertisement

If it is on the associate engineer list how does it qualify you for CEng?

I dont know, that is why i was hoping for some clarification from someone from engineers Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

I dont know, that is why i was hoping for some clarification from someone from engineers Ireland.

Have you tried emailing or calling them?

Gileadi wrote: »
    Have you tried emailing or calling them?

Good point! To be honest this thread has drifted off topic a bit. My first question was about doing a knowledge assessment to bridge the gap between a Sydney and Washington accord degree. The point about getting chartered with just an honours degree seemed to take precedence over my main question. I was hoping someone from engineers Ireland might have been passing and thrown in an answer.

Advertisement