Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of compentancy from another firearm owner?

Options
  • 12-03-2015 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Proof of competency?

Whats the story with this competency requirement now. Who is accepted as being an eligible source of competency?

I have a young fellow that's been coming shooting with me for a few years now. He knows as much as me about what's a safe shot and what's not and he knows everything about firearm safety and handling as I have instructed him. Obviously he does not have the shooting experience...as the law does not allow me to permit him to discharge the firearm... But he has handled the firearms and knows how to..

Now he is keen to get his own rifle and I'm all for it.

I want him to declare that he is competent and received his mentoring from me over the past three years..

Would this be accepted.. ???

I know there might be some benefit from doing an official competency course as it would cover shotguns and maybe even pistols but tbh a gun is a gun and by my little shooting buddy (nephew) is well versed in the operation of both semi auto rimfire and centerfire boltaction rifles and afaik he is only interested in a rifle.
    Anyway his parents want me to go out with him and his proposed new gun a few times to make sure all is ok so competency course or no competency course I'll be supervising both.

Now I'm planning this well ahead of time.. and there are other options open to me such as a training certificate but his parents don't want him having unsupervised access to guns until he is older etc etc. just thinking ahdad and yes yes yes I k ow how a training cert works and it's supervised etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There is no set standard in the law (which kindof cops out on the idea after throwing it at us).

It comes down to what the Superintendent will accept, and it does not necessarily have to be done via a formal course. Prior ownership, being on a training certificate, being a new memeber of a club that trains its members (like the college clubs do, though they're a special case because their members all use club guns), having a firearms certificate before now, those all count as proof of competency.

And don't forget, it's proof of competency, not proof of proficiency. The test isn't "could you shoot for Ireland in the Olympics", it's "are you sufficiently competent that you wouldn't be a danger to anyone when shooting". Which has more to do with safety rules and checking backstops and so on than the difference between hitting the target card and hitting the ten ring.

The general rule is, ask your local Superintendent before you go pay money to do a course or commit to something. Make sure it'll be accepted before you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I just applied for my first gun licence. I had to get a cert off a gun shop. Had to watch a video and answer some questions. Cost me 50 euro...dunno if I had to do it but that's what I was told. Also wouldn't say he was shooting your gun as technically your the only one allowed to use the gun registered to you...

Advertisement