Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland 7s route to Rio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Getting to World series is needed but what we really need is more 7s tournaments at age grade and open club level. The age grade shouldn't be schools/clubs but open competitions and imo better all club based with all representing clubs as this can get those in rugby schools linked in to clubs. There should be regional/county/divisional/provincial competitions

I was only really talking about the main Irish sevens side, but I agree totally. It's a fantastic form of the game for a player's skill level and should be open to all. Obviously the younger you introduce someone to it, even better.

At the very least, I'm just happy that we are embracing sevens in some shape at last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

VillaMad wrote: »
    I was only really talking about the main Irish sevens side, but I agree totally. It's a fantastic form of the game for a player's skill level and should be open to all. Obviously the younger you introduce someone to it, even better.

At the very least, I'm just happy that we are embracing sevens in some shape at last.
    Point I was trying to make was we need more 7s tournaments to open the game of 7s to more. its not played enough here which is part of reason we've taken so long to take part at higher levels. If it was played at grassroots much much more it would help the elite game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Thud

Point I was trying to make was we need more 7s tournaments to open the game of 7s to more. its not played enough here which is part of reason we've taken so long to take part at higher levels. If it was played at grassroots much much more it would help the elite game

If they get on the series i can see it getting a lot more attention at grass roots level

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

1 hour to go!!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lads im excommunicado in Kerry so I'd really appreciate the score updates from those watching.

I assume we'd be going into this game with Spain favourites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Lads im excommunicado in Kerry so I'd really appreciate the score updates from those watching.

We came out of a tougher group but it's very hard to tell what level we're at compared to the rest of the sides. Day 2 is going to be a very different test.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

sydthebeat wrote: »

I wouldn't be sure about that. We beat Tonga by 20, and they just beat Korea by 35 points. Spain and Hong Kong didn't beat Korea by much (19 and 12), and Spain lost to Hong Kong. This all might mean nothing, or it could be that the quality of teams in Ireland's pool was well above Spain's pool.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I was saying that due to Spain's previous experience on the sevens circuit, I assume they'd still have a similar squad to their 2014 one unless there's been a big cull.

Tom "Way Better Than Ben Te'o" Daly opens the scoring for Ireland with a nice finish

7-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Good start, 7-0 up, half way through the 1st half.

• Advertisement

Spain hit back

7-5

Los Spaniardos no liko the scoro and los grabo un entrynada

7-5

7-5 HT

7-5 at half time. Spanish had a grubber along the touchline bounce unfavourably, if it had gone right they would be leading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone have a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Ireland screw up their own lineout, Spain score in the middle of the park, likely to be 12-7

Dreadful decision to go for the lineout, losing 12-7

No lineout No Win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Billy Dardis has shown absolutely no urgency when restarting play all game.

• Advertisement

Spain drop the ball over the Irish line, that was a chance to finish the game for them.

Ireland out

Ireland are out.

3 offensive breakdown infringements, showed their lack of experience. Spanish were well worth their win.

They did great to get out of their pool, but the lack of experience cost them in the end.

I hope this isn't used as a reason to shelve the 7s they did well. And Spain's experience showed through

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lord Lamp

Very disappointing after how well they played yeterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Jaysus pity losing to Spain after beating Samoa

Losing to Canada 7s at half time

what was the score against Canada?

• Advertisement

Shame to lose out. Now we need to ensure we're at top tier asap and we have proper structures for the game at club level both adult and age grade. Need a proper competitive edge to 7s for all clubs

Its not like we dont have the talent pool, theres tones of players I played with and against through school that never made age grades and thus quit rugby after school, 7s would give these guys a pathway into high level rugby. Also players like Andy Marks, Adam Leavy and other guys who maybe arent quite good enough for full Academy spots could be utilised in a sevens program

On a side note 'The Lost sheep' you seem to be one of the most informed posters on this site, do youve any idea whats happening with Nash if hes gone to Australia or not?

In my opinion Leinster should be bending over backwards for this guy, hes up there with Ringrose in terms of potential

Its not like we dont have the talent pool, theres tones of players I played with and against through school that never made age grades and thus quit rugby after school, 7s would give these guys a pathway into high level rugby. Also players like Andy Marks, Adam Leavy and other guys who maybe arent quite good enough for full Academy spots could be utilised in a sevens program
    Using 7s wont keep a lot of guys who quit the sport after leaving school play. Other methods need to be used to do that. Elite level 7s isn't the answer to that issue.
    The talent pool in Ireland is slightly over rated, well the schools are at any rate. We need to do more to keep those in late teens/early 20s playing but I don't see how 7s is really the answer. You need to look at 15 man game and changing competitions/setting up competitions around that. Tying kids in school to clubs earlier and better and through the school years.

Ye I've zero idea how these structures work etc, I think a clear pathway to representing your country on the international stage would do a hell of a lot keeping these guys playing, but I agree the AIL will surely be the biggest feeding ground for the sevens team

Its Late developers like Adeoulukin etc whos talent are very hard to gage until they get to there mid 20s thats particularly interesting to me, also the likes of Mick Mcgrath who come out of nowhere. Obviously the AIL is to thank for this.

• Advertisement

Its Late developers like Adeoulukin etc whos talent are very hard to gage until they get to there mid 20s thats particularly interesting to me, also the likes of Mick Mcgrath who come out of nowhere. Obviously the AIL is to thank for this.
    AIL is very much part of this. Mick McGrath didn't really come from nowhere.
    Ye I've zero idea how these structures work etc, I think a clear pathway to representing your country on the international stage would do a hell of a lot keeping these guys playing, but I agree the AIL will surely be the biggest feeding ground for the sevens team
    I don't think it would and those who quit are generally not the very best guys who would be playing 7s anyway. To keep those who leave the sport after school. There needs to be greater links between clubs and schools. Games for clubs while still in rugby schools..
    On a side note 'The Lost sheep' you seem to be one of the most informed posters on this site, do youve any idea whats happening with Nash if hes gone to Australia or not?

In my opinion Leinster should be bending over backwards for this guy, hes up there with Ringrose in terms of potential
    No idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I thought Nash was going AFL?

Spain are off to the Olympics after beating Samoa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Delighted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

So it's Spain, Fiji, South Africa, GB, Australia, USA, Argentina, France, Kenya, New Zealand, Japan and Brazil.

It's a good spread of teams in terms of geography, population etc., so not a bad outcome for the Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Nift

Using 7s wont keep a lot of guys who quit the sport after leaving school play. Other methods need to be used to do that. Elite level 7s isn't the answer to that issue.
    The talent pool in Ireland is slightly over rated, well the schools are at any rate. We need to do more to keep those in late teens/early 20s playing but I don't see how 7s is really the answer. You need to look at 15 man game and changing competitions/setting up competitions around that. Tying kids in school to clubs earlier and better and through the school years.

Hardly overrated, there is only so many academy spots to give out. We have four professional teams. The AIL is under utilized. Look at Connacht for potential lost players, only for Lam to take a punt.

Ali Miller touches down in the corner to kick things off for the Irish girls

She does the same again

They can't deal with Miller!

She does it on the other wing this time. 17-0

Trinidad & Tobago are completely out of their depth.

51-0 in the end. Portugal next at 15:40.

Ire 12 Portugal 5

Conversion to come *missed

Ireland 17 - Portugal 5 half time

Real shakey start but 3 good scores since then. Looking good now, need to keep that up for the next few minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement