Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Cooking Club Week 10: Lamb doner kebabs with salad and sauces

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Meat cooked, salad is saladed, sauces are chilling, beer is cooling.

Can't wait to assemble these.

Hurry up and go to bed child :mad::mad::pac:

WOW, wow wow wow.

This is a great recipe! Both sauces spot on, the salad crunchy and sharp from the lemon juice.

But the meat! it is simply amazing.

20150321_1945251_zpshaiif6sg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

WOW, wow wow wow.

This is a great recipe! Both sauces spot on, the salad crunchy and sharp from the lemon juice.

But the meat! it is simply amazing.
    Looking good..... as is the French cider! Normandy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Yum, loved it. Made the meat bit with minced lamb (both Aldi & dunnes do it, not Lidl), didn't bother with the saucesthis time, but used Lidl chilli mayo which went well with it.
    Kids loved it .

Looking good..... as is the French cider! Normandy?

yep, available in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Had this for dinner tonight - yum yum yum! Have some left over for lunch tomorrow too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Wexy86

Going to give this a bash later today :-)

I'm not a fan of ketchup, does the sauce taste very ketchupy or has anyone any ideas on a substitute for the red sauce - tomato purée maybe?

Wexy86 wrote: »
    Going to give this a bash later today :-)

I'm not a fan of ketchup, does the sauce taste very ketchupy or has anyone any ideas on a substitute for the red sauce - tomato purée maybe?

Don't find it very ketchupy myself. You can always just do the white sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Just made this with Pork mince instead, it was excellent.

Would using Turkey mince be a viable alternative for this recipe?

Just made this with Pork mince instead, it was excellent.

Would using Turkey mince be a viable alternative for this recipe?

try it, and report back!

• Advertisement

It's worth a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Suppose it can't hurt to try it anyway.

Will report back after i've tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Wow. That's all I can say! I'm partial to a kebab after a feed of drink but this is just unreal! Im going to get the book you adapted the recipe from I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

We had lamb kebabs tonight - very tasty. Thanks Padraig.

I also copied your turbo cider the other day, just the same Tesco 5L water thing - its still banging out CO2 after 2.5 weeks.

Im going to get the book you adapted the recipe from I think!
    Do! Last time I checked it was only £1 on Amazon for the Kindle version. There's also recipes in there for lots of other kebabs - sheek, schwarma, etc.
    I also copied your turbo cider the other day, just the same Tesco 5L water thing - its still banging out CO2 after 2.5 weeks.

Thank Khannie for the TC! Surprised to hear it's still fizzing - is the temp quite low? I've mine bottled now but may have a sneaky one later (way too early I know). Have two more on now, to be probably bottles at the weekend - just cloudy apple juice (seems nice) and a clear from concentrate apple juice with red grape juice mix (seems rough so far).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Thank Khannie for the TC! Surprised to hear it's still fizzing - is the temp quite low? I've mine bottled now but may have a sneaky one later (way too early I know). Have two more on now, to be probably bottles at the weekend - just cloudy apple juice (seems nice) and a clear from concentrate apple juice with red grape juice mix (seems rough so far).

Wait till after lunch, you'll be grand :D

May have been a little to generous with the yeast :o - I suspect it may be Champagne yeast. Just taken a reading and its 1000 (may even be below that). Genna stick it in plastic bottles with some apple juice and se what we get.

Wait till after lunch, you'll be grand :D

May have been a little to generous with the yeast :o - I suspect it may be Champagne yeast. Just taken a reading and its 1000 (may even be below that). Genna stick it in plastic bottles with some apple juice and se what we get.

Champagne and cider yeast are the same or very similar AFAIK? Quantity of yeast should make little difference - once you have enough. Cider would finish at or below 1.000 alright - my first batch finished at 0.998. I'd make sure it was finished fermenting before bottling it though:eek:! I added c. 50ml of fresh apple juice per bottle when bottling to carbonate - not sure if it's done too good a job though - quite a bit of yeast sediment and the caps are bulging! Anyway, better move to Home Brewing to talk more about this!

just wondering about the bread.

Has anyone successfully replicated the "Zaytoon" style bread in a home oven?

It seems to be impossible.

just wondering about the bread.

Has anyone successfully replicated the "Zaytoon" style bread in a home oven?

It seems to be impossible.

Zaytoon use Taftoon bread. I'm hoping to get back and try this again. I mentioned above that I gave it a try but it didn't work out great - my dough didn't rise well and I was left with a sticky mess - probably because I used out of date yeast! However, I still dry fried a few clumps of it and it tasted great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

I made this yesterday with chicken. I skinned and boned chicken thighs and marinated them overnight. I made a big kebab skewer and cooked it upright in a fan oven, so the cooking method was similar to the real thing.
    My only error was that I was a little bit too light on the spices. I spiced it on instinct but it wasn't quite enough but still tasted great.

thanks for the recipe, it worked out fantastic and I will certainly make it again.

some pictures of my adventure, attached.

• Advertisement

I made this yesterday with chicken. I skinned and boned chicken thighs and marinated them overnight. I made a big kebab skewer and cooked it upright in a fan oven, so the cooking method was similar to the real thing.
    My only error was that I was a little bit too light on the spices. I spiced it on instinct but it wasn't quite enough but still tasted great.

thanks for the recipe, it worked out fantastic and I will certainly make it again.

some pictures of my adventure, attached.

That looks pretty tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Look good! What's in the other pot!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Look good! What's in the other pot!!??

chicken stock made from the skin and bones of the chicken thighs. waste not want not, it makes a great stock ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Wexy86

Never got round to making this last week but made them today. Himself was very impressed and usually nothing new does :-)

I found the white sauce tasted strongly of the yoghurt - maybe it was the cheap ass low cal one I used, none the less these were devoured and even have some left over for tomorrows kebab salad lunch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Masala

Made this last night....thought everything went well

EXCEPT.... bought Supervalu pitta bread (6 in pkt) and just couldn't get the pitta to stay together. I water them as per instruction and heated them as per instructions. But no matter how I split them they disintegrated in my hand...before I even got to fill them..

Se we ended up using knives and forks... which goes against the spirit of this fine menu!!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Had people over on short notice Friday night so needed something that wouldn't take too long to cook...... and I was looking for an excuse to make this since ive read it.

Doubled all the ingredients (foolish me thought 1kg of lamb mince would leave leftovers for the next day) and everything was devoured.

Great recipe, id advise everybody to try this! Next time ill attempt the proper kebab bread, like Masala said above, the pittas I used were the only left down!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Haven't made this recipe yet but Aldi do round Mediterranean flatbreads that I reckon would be perfect for this; instead of stuffing the filling into a pitta you'd just pop the fixins in the middle and then fold it in half.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Made this today for dinner and it was fantastic!! Will definitely be making this again and my other half absolutely loved it and scoffed it too so it's gonna be a hit in our house I think!! Thanks op

6jML6i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Masala

ChewChew wrote: »
    Made this today for dinner and it was fantastic!! Will definitely be making this again and my other half absolutely loved it and scoffed it too so it's gonna be a hit in our house I think!! Thanks op

6jML6i.jpg

I see your pitta bread broke in half as well....!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

It was the last one and I got a bit pee'd off being so careful :D but it was still awesome!!

Advertisement