Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super and tax return

• 12-03-2015 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I'm after leaving the country and I'm going to claim back my super and tax.

When I get my super back must I include it in my tax return?? IF so, then what part of tax return do I include it??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,507 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

gudede wrote: »
    Hi lads,

I'm after leaving the country and I'm going to claim back my super and tax.

When I get my super back must I include it in my tax return?? IF so, then what part of tax return do I include it??

Thanks
    Afaik you don't include it, as you'll be taxed on it automatically when you collect it early.
    Open to correction on the exact process though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

Mellor wrote: »
    Afaik you don't include it, as you'll be taxed on it automatically when you collect it early.
    Open to correction on the exact process though.

I was hoping to get some of the super tax back ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,507 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

gudede wrote: »
    I was hoping to get some of the super tax back ha.

You don't get "tax back". You just get the tax you paid corrected to match your earnings, deductions, situation etc.
    In regards to super, you've already paid the correct amount of tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Sorry to hijack but I didn't want to start yet another tax/super thread.

I have my tax forms ready and just want to do a checklist.

I'm applying for 2014 and 2015. I arrived in Oz in April '14 but only started working in June. So I put myself down as a non resident. Is this correct?
    -With the 2015 form I said I was a tax resident because I was in the same place for over 6 months. Correct?

So I left the majority of the forms blank because I didn't have any dependents/spouse/work related purchases etc. Is this correct?
    -I have my Medicare exemption letters for both years so I filled in the required sections.

I kind of made a mistake on the 2014 form. On question T1 in the Tax offsets section I mistakenly put an X for - Did you have a dependent spouse born on or before 30 June 1952? I don't think I should've done this. Will this cause me problems? Can I write error and sign it?

Do I need to provide signed copies of my passport, visa & entry stamp like I have to with my super claim/Medicare exemption application?

Regarding section 8 - Australian super lump sum payments. Should I wait till I can claim my super back, when my visa expires in mid april, so I can try and claim tax on this? or does this even matter?

I was looking at the FAQ (last edited in 2013) and noticed the part about the cover letter. Is this necessary today? I can't seem to find any info about this on the ATO website

Thanks in advance and once again sorry about the hijack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Just wondering if anyone can assist with my query I posted above

Advertisement