Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Hoyhead to Pembroke in 10 days (via midlands)

Options
  • 12-03-2015 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Hey Peps,

So I've booked a ferry trip to Wales/England for 10 days at the end of July.
    Plan is to land in Holyhead and then make our way to Pembroke slowly.

Can you recommend a possible route and attractions.

We are a family of 4 (2 boys age 6 and 9), our only definite is to go the the Doctor Who experience in Cardiff. We would like to visit a theme park, nice beech resort town maybe some nice historical towns (Chester looks nice).

We don't mind driving into the Midlands of England if it's worth it.

Also looking for reasonable accommodation options, all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Can anybody help a brother out ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Hills and Sheep is my only contribution I'm afraid.

I've had plenty of experience and fun adventure training around Wales but unless you plan on jumping down waterfalls, navigating back to RAF stations or caving I'm afraid I can't offer much advice.

Nice walk up Snowdonia? Spot of light caving perhaps? You really are spoiled for natural beauty and parks though!

Ah sorry via the Midlands! Where in the Midlands?

Spot of Shopping in Birmingham? Maybe swing in via Bicester (Bicester Village - more shopping). Oxford is beautiful (I'm biased my hometown) and back in that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Any where interesting in the Midlands (if there is anywhere :P),
    Not really interested in shopping, looking for attractions.
    Is there any heritage railways ? theme parks etc.

Any where interesting in the Midlands (if there is anywhere :P),
    Not really interested in shopping, looking for attractions.
    Is there any heritage railways ? theme parks etc.

Plenty of railways. Again Oxfordshire but Didcot is well worth a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Theme park wise, Oakwood in South Wales should be a good day out, went when I was younger. Rides not as crazy as Alton towers but good family fun I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

There are some great castles on the Welsh coast, and you can visit a few of them with a short detour off the Holyhead road. I'd make the first stop Chester - lovely historic city. You could nip to Liverpool (Docks, Beatles) quite easily from there. I don't know much about mid Wales so I'll leave it there.

a detour towards Birmingham brings Alton Towers and Drayton Manor within reach. With younger kids, my leaning would be towards Drayton Manor, which has a section devoted to Thomas the Tank Engine.

Heading home, Oakwood theme park is quite near Pembroke. If you're staying around that area I'd recommend a visit to Tenby, which is a lovely small town with great beaches. There's a fun park near the town too http://heatherton.co.uk

Have a great holiday there really is loads to do in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The Bleanau Ffestiniog railway, Beddgelert skate mines, Ironbridge Museum, Hereford Cider museums. All worth considering.

You could also visit Alton Towera, climb Snowdon (or take the train).

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Alton Towers is only 50 odd miles from Chester, not sure if the kids are a bit young for that?
    If you are a history buff, Warwick Castle & Stratford upon Avon are more or less on route from Chester via Alton towers, west midlands down towards the west country,
    but this will mean your route is firmly inland and so away from beaches.

West of Oxford is the Cotswolds which is very picture post card pretty, lots of chocolate box cottages.
    Around Cardiff, the Brecon beacons are nice and worth a trip. If you are after mountains & scenery Wales is a very beautiful place, worth spending all your time there imho and doing England separately.

Advertisement