Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor fees for buying a house

Options
  • 12-03-2015 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Just wondering is there a rough guideline for what solicitors fees add up to in buying a house? Can they give an idea beforehand or do they not fully bill until the end & often "find" expected costs?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

araic88 wrote: »
    Just wondering is there a rough guideline for what solicitors fees add up to in buying a house? Can they give an idea beforehand or do they not fully bill until the end & often "find" expected costs?!

Our solicitor does a set fee...€2000 including vat for everything for houses but more if there is a management company

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Each one have a different base rate.
    We are currently buying and our solicitor is costing :

€1000 + VAT @ 23%
    Then there's outlays including the new land registry fee among others that all add up.our total is €2300 all in including outlays. The registry fees alone are circa €900.

That's north dublin based by way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

kceire wrote: »
    Each one have a different base rate.
    We are currently buying and our solicitor is costing :

€1000 + VAT @ 23%
    Then there's outlays including the new land registry fee among others that all add up.our total is €2300 all in including outlays. The registry fees alone are circa €900.

That's north dublin based by way.

Our guy is north county dublin we are based southside.
    I shopped around and found the only fee that differed was their professional fee as all outlays were the same.

Our guys professional fee is €850+vat,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Millem wrote: »
    Our guy is north county dublin we are based southside.
    I shopped around and found the only fee that differed was their professional fee as all outlays were the same.

Our guys professional fee is €850+vat,

Found the exact same thing myself. The professional fee is what changes practice to practice.
    Mae ended up using these guys as we have used them before and are relatively local to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

This is a quote I got recently from a Dublin solicitor for a house purchase (no management company involved) As others have said professional fees will vary and outlays are fairly fixed.

From personal experience I would not always go with the lowest professional fee you can find. Have been there and been burnt. Often they taken on large numbers of clients which they don't have enough time for and the property purchase is severely dragged out.

Professional Fees:
    1. Professional fee €1,100.00
    2. Sundry Outlays € 20.00
    3. Vat @ 23% € 257.60
    Sub Total: €1377
    Outlays
    4. Stamp duty @ 1% : €750.00
    5. Registry of Deeds: €100.00
    6. Property/Land Registration : € 135.00
    7. Searches: € 200.00
    8. Swearing fees € 10.00
    Sub Total: 1195
    Total Costs €2,572.60

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

This is a quote I got recently from a Dublin solicitor for a house purchase (no management company involved) As others have said professional fees will vary and outlays are fairly fixed.

From personal experience I would not always go with the lowest professional fee you can find. Have been there and been burnt. Often they take on large numbers of clients which they don't have enough time for and the property purchase is severely dragged out.

Professional Fees:
    1. Professional fee €1,100.00
    2. Sundry Outlays € 20.00
    3. Vat @ 23% € 257.60
    Sub Total: €1377
    Outlays
    4. Stamp duty @ 1% : €750.00
    5. Registry of Deeds: €100.00
    6. Property/Land Registration : € 135.00
    7. Searches: € 200.00
    8. Swearing fees € 10.00
    Sub Total: 1195
    Total Costs €2,572.60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Stamp duty 1% = 750? Are you guys buying houses for 75k? Where are wee talking here?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have to say never actually knew the fees in regards solicitors regading buying a house. But all in all considering the value of the transaction, its actually pretty low for what I would have expected.

Although I'm dreading buying a house. Seeing the delays and turn around time people post about documentation and the likes, I'd properly freak out and be having rows with solicitors over what I'm paying for.

So I'd say when it does come to it, I won't be anal about getting the lowest price. If I'm going to be dropping essentially 300k+, I probably wont mind spending a few grand on someone that can competently deal with administration and paperwork, and promptly.

When it comes to all the delays, is that normally with solicitors on the other side? Like, does anyone every contemplate drawing up some penalties or stipulations in terms of delays? Is that even a thing?

Maybe it's my IT head with constant SLA's, and stipulations in things where we might sign off paying for some developement work for only a few K, but if timelines are breached it results in stuff happening. Would feel weird going through a house purchase, and me NOT having something in place to deal with the scenario of an incompetant or inept solicitor, on either side.

TheDoc wrote: »
    When it comes to all the delays, is that normally with solicitors on the other side? Like, does anyone every contemplate drawing up some penalties or stipulations in terms of delays? Is that even a thing?

Delays and inefficiency go with the territory. Many still have a 19th century attitude. I had one last year who used to reply to my emails by putting a letter in the post.

Penalties don't work. The other solicitor will ensure their client would never agree to them and, even if they did, you would have difficulty enforcing them.

Advertisement