Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Study English

Options
  • 12-03-2015 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi so I'm sitting my Leaving in a few months and I really want to go on to study English in Uni but I'm tearing my hair out over where to go! I'm not 100% sure what i want to do with it after I'm in two minds of going down a creative road or a logical, more sensible one.
    I'd really like to get involved with screenplay writing one day but I want to be safe for a job at the same time.
    I know that I really want to take film onboard and I've been looking at the course in Ucd and Arts with Film in Nui Galway and both have their pros and cons I guess but I really need help to decide!
    I'dreally like to get involved with screenplay writing one day but I want to be safe for a job at the same time.
    Any advice on either the courses, colleges or cities would be seriously appreciated!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

I'm not 100% sure what i want to do with it ?

Now if you feel that way about it, then why bother? Good English is an asset for any future employment prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alouisemd

Kalman wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure what i want to do with it ?

Now if you feel that way about it, then why bother? Good English is an asset for any future employment prospects.

Sorry, I didn't word that very well. What I mean is I don't know what direction I want to go with it. I don't know if i want to teach, write, work in publishing etc. so I want to choose a course that will help me explore all the different areas and not cut me off from others.

alouisemd wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't word that very well. What I mean is I don't know what direction I want to go with it. I don't know if i want to teach, write, work in publishing etc. so I want to choose a course that will help me explore all the different areas and not cut me off from others.

That's ok ! However, to follow any of the above subjects, especially 'teaching' then you would need a good command of English.

If I were you>>>>I would go for it. I was never offered the chance when I was young. I somehow made up for it later in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alouisemd

I'm kind of worried there's a difference in the quality of the courses. And i knows thats a bit of a judgemental thing to say but I have no idea and I'd hate to realise it when it's too late. Thank you!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,296 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Forum Requests

• Advertisement

[

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

alouisemd wrote: »
    I'd really like to get involved with screenplay writing one day but I want to be safe for a job at the same time.
    Do a degree that will get you a secure job and learn how to screen write in your own time. Plenty of resources (free!) are available online which are just as good as what you'd be taught by a lecturer

At the end of the day, you already speak English, so why would you need an English degree?

Advertisement