Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance - life time community rating

Options
  • 12-03-2015 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

I'm a little confused. I'm 34 and 35 next February. Do I have until the eve of my 35th birthday to take out health insurance before 2% life time community rating applies?...or should I take it out before 30th of April 2015. Had VHI for 2/3 years before dropping it in 2009. I understand that I can get credit for these years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

You have until the eve of your 35th to avoid the loading, the legislation just comes into effect on 01/05/2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

Penalties for everyone over the age fo 35 taking out insurance for the first time. So, basically, for everyone over 35, you should never buy health insurance? Sounds like a system that was developed for an entirely different culture being transplanted into Ireland. We will see, but I can't see it working for Irish people.

Young people won't buy health insurance they can't afford just because it will be 2% more expensive when they're 35! And now over 35's are better off if they never buy health insurance. Ever. Bizarre. Oh well, one less topic to have to read up on and renew every year, no health insurance for me now, for life! I was only hospitalised once in the last decade anyway and the bill was €125, I'll take that over €40 a month for health insurance (I'll have to now!). I predict (even) less people buying health insurance in Ireland now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Rezident wrote: »
    ... I predict (even) less people buying health insurance in Ireland now.

+1

I can see it pricing a lot of people out of insurance for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sarahq1962

LCR - what happens if you upgrade?
    HI, I am a bit unclear...if you take out the basic policy now b4 the Lifetime Community rating you avoid the levy if you are over 35. My question is if you take out the cheapest policy now and then upgrade say in 2 years, do you still pay no levy? I am worried you have to pay the levy on the difference between the 2 policies. Does anyone know for sure? I have looked up but find this question is either not answered or not clear. Thanks in advance.

Yes, you pay no loading if you upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

What's the deal with this? I've had health insurance through work for the last 7 years, they keep chopping and changing providers every year so I don't know who I've been covered with. Well ive been covered by every provider but couldn't say which provider covered what year.

If you are currently insured it does not effect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I am 33 on my next birthday, but decided to take a cheap plan starting on Wednesday. I was afraid that the low level plans they are offering now would just disappear once the loading comes in on May 1st.

Advertisement